6.0 ECT/EOT question

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
Yesterday on the trip home from the beach I was checking out the readings on the CTS and have a couple of questions.

First is about the ECT. It was only running around 188-190. That's at about 75-80mph for about 30-45 minutes. It wasn't super cold out or anything. So I'm curious why the truck never got any hotter than 190 degrees.

Second is the ECT/EOT Delta. It ran about 19 degrees. I'm usually around 12-15 degrees difference. IS this mainly due to the lower EOT? Its going in soon for studs, EGR delete, oil cooler etc. Just need to make sure I dont have a pressing issue that needs to be addresses sooner.

Weather Conditions:

757cfe82.png

Dash Readings (sorry for the shaky pics, hard to do while driving lol):

45d7c426.png

CTS readings:

3873af66.png

Agjake11

Reaction score
mine was running at ect 188 friday night when it was cold out and the eot was 195 on the highway from pasadena to galleria. ect seems normal to me

yeehaw

Reaction score
i'd say the oil cooler is on it's way out the door, when mine went my EOT was at 223 or so and ECT was at 198. That was pulling 13.5K for 260 miles 65 mph.

Vermonter

Reaction score
I have the same thing happening to me. After driving a while my EOT's get to about 230 and my ECT hangs at about 180. From what I have read this is a problem with the oil cooler.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-tech-files/173767-things-consider-about-owning-6-0l.html
This is a great read and explains a lot of stuff. I am going to try this week to get my oil cooler changed and my coolant flushed, truck has about 93K miles on it. We will see if it helps.

ezzyke

Reaction score
Drove mine to the game in Jacksonville this weekend highest mine got was 192 ect and 201 eot according to the scanguage. Had about the same outside temp as you.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
I'm beginning to doubt the accuracy of these two readings on my Edge monitor. Mine is inconsistent...

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
Thats kinda what I was wondering. Although, coming home from the beach, with the ECT reading 188, it just didnt feel like it was running as good as it usually does.

Dalpilot

Reaction score
Remember the signal is coming from the sensors in the truck......made by the lowest bidder.....in china. The gauge will read what it tells it to. I have aftermarket gauges as well as the cts and often times the difference is fairly large and like Garrett said, inconsistent.

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
I might pick up a ECT sending unit and use it for ECT instead of the factory one. Where would be the best place to install it? What about a EOT Sending unit?

Dave

Reaction score
I'm beginning to doubt the accuracy of these two readings on my Edge monitor. Mine is inconsistent...

Ive used both and its been within a degree or two at all times.

If you are seeing huge inconsistancies its not the Edge thats bad. It only reads what the PCM sees.

The sensor is out.

yeehaw

Reaction score
yea my cs was never inconsistent, it just stopped working randomly though

my truck was running fine BUT it was puking out the cap at those temps but my ect has never ever been above 210 degrees even towing with air temps of 100 degrees outside

Jarrod B

Reaction score
Old thread i know. But I have the exact same issue. Ect is at or 190 and oil is around 205 or more. Earlier this week I saw 190/210 doing 80 on the hwy. and was 70 or less outside.

Sniper32

Reaction score
My cts is always consostant and pretty much deap on with other guages... my ECT pretty much never goes over 190 unless is a 100+* day then it will only get to 195 (highway cruising at 77). If your deltas are slightly more than the recommendes 15* you may want to try a coolant flush, and that may solve the issue. If it doesnt, youre oil cooler is going

Jarrod B

Reaction score
Funny thing is I replaced the cooler in June and had a constant 10* or less. Now all the sudden it's 15+.

Someone told me it could have been the tap water I used with the gold coolant when I topped it off a few weeks ago.

Glued to my phone

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Have u used a different oil than not map on an oil change? I used a different brand cause of a sale and notice mine jumped up more than normal as well. My delta is usually 6* city and 8-10* highway but after my oil change its 10* city and 15* highway. It stays constant so I know there is no problem. I was also told normal operating temps are aroun 195* for EOT. I never see anything over 220*EOT

Dave

Reaction score
The thing you guys have to remember is the 15 degree delta does not apply at 80+mph

That applies when up to op temp on flat ground at 60mph

Jarrod B

Reaction score
Yes correct. However this truck while held at 90 mph for a few hrs in Texas summer held a constant 10* delta.

So that's the baseline I go by.

Glued to my phone

Latest posts

Members online