Differences between 97 and 95 engines

wjamesm

Reaction score
First a little backstory , I have a 95 F-Superduty that had a water in the oil problem . After checking over the front cover , oil cooler and injector cups in my other thread http://http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79138 . I have since bought a good used 97 engine out of a f-250 . It has all the accessories on it and the engine harness . I know I will be reusing my hydro boost power steering pump from my engine but what else will have to be changed sensor wise . I don't know if there are differenced in the injectors or the programming between the two engines . I plan to redo the upipe gaskets and the turbo pedestal gaskets and turbo O-rings , and I am switching oil pans as mine is rust free . It doesn't look like the rear main seal is leaking and from what I have read they don't leak often so I may leave it alone .

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Should be zero difference besides the 95 having the de-airetion valve in front cover that can fall out and cause no oil psi.

But I would check to see that the 97 doesn't have it, if it does, I would loctite it in.

Reaction score
There will be little to no difference between the two in the sensor area. The location of the EBP sensor may be slightly different and the Fuel Restriction sensor will be in a different spot if you are using the fuel bowl from each. The 97 will probably be a federal (49-state) version, but you will want to check and see what injectors are in it to make sure it is not a California 97 engine with splitshot injectors (which would require different programming). Cheers!

old man dave

Reaction score
I think I read in my searching that the engine wire harness is different it has a different pinout in it .

In general, the federal engines all use the same engine harnesses/pinouts. Its the 97 California engines that have the oddball harnesses/pinouts.

A quick check for a 97 California is to pull the valve covers and see if it has AB splitshot injectors, also a glow plug current shunt and a DPC-312 PCM. A Federal engine will have AA or AO singleshot injectors and no current shunt. This would be stamped on the injector solenoids.

If you have a rare early-mid 96 California truck then it will have the AB injectors and no current shunt. It will have a splitshot tuned PCM but on a DPC-202/3 pcm with the same pinout as a federal truck.

Denver

Reaction score
California trucks will have a fuel pump dampener above the fuel pump. Black round thing. The 95 motors have a different HPOP and IPR. 95 was a transfer year from an all metal radiator to the plastic end cap type.

wjamesm

Reaction score
California trucks will have a fuel pump dampener above the fuel pump. Black round thing. The 95 motors have a different HPOP and IPR. 95 was a transfer year from an all metal radiator to the plastic end cap type.
So the IPR will need to be changed out ? I was working on getting the original engine ready to pull out today and decided to pull the valve cover off the donor engine to read the injector codes , AA1816187C3

and the original injectors read AP 63800 AA
My truck must be a early 95 as it still has the IDI style radiator in it .

old man dave

Reaction score

There are several other differences with the 96 and 97 Californias but I wanted to keep it simple. If you want a comprehensive list, I can do that ,too.

Denver

Reaction score
So the IPR will need to be changed out ? I was working on getting the original engine ready to pull out today and decided to pull the valve cover off the donor engine to read the injector codes , AA1816187C3

and the original injectors read AP 63800 AA
My truck must be a early 95 as it still has the IDI style radiator in it .
Ipr doenst need to be changed. Its specific to the 95 HPOP. 96 and up is different. The 94 and 95 ipr has a plugged tip.

wjamesm

Reaction score
Ipr's are interchangeable.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Cool , Thanks for the info . I can't wait to get the new engine in . While it's out what are some thing to do to it ? The guy I bought it from dings the up-pipes so I am going to use mine and will be doing new gaskets , Though about bellowed up-pipes till I saw the price on them . The EBPV rod is leaking , so I think I am going to ****** it . Just gut it or get a new pedestal ? Going to put new O-rings and gaskets on the turbo and pedestal . Would like to do E-fuel but that's out of the budget for now . What else should be resealed before I put her in ?

wjamesm

Reaction score
I am swapping in my oil pan off of the original engine as it is rust free and putting a new o-ring in the dipstick tube adapter while it's off . When I order the up pipe gaskets should I get a kit that has the bolts with it ?

Dirtclod

Reaction score
For sure do a ******d pedestal. Way easier installation and removal.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Definitely do this. And bellowed upipes. Look around on the vendors sites. I only paid 125$ for mine. Never leak again. I also love my reg return fuel system. I went with irate and you can really tell a difference. Might want to check your oil cooler do a good cleaning on it with new Ford orings. That’s how oil ends up in the coolant. Green Coolant 4 gals and 4 gals of distilled water. That’s very important. Might want to do a coolant filter while you’re at it,cheap mod and works well.these are fine engines but neglect will ruin them.

Latest posts

Members online