6.4 in an obs?

TyCorr

Reaction score
If your were going to do a complete 6.4, 5R110 with all the wiring and sensors. Tuning would be a piece of cake. No different then tuning a 08-10 6.4. Plug and play man.

:whs:

The swapped components wouldnt even realize they werent in a 08-10 superduty, nor would they care!

This is a friggin awesome idea.

Strokersace

Reaction score
The obs and SD both had 7.3s but the bolton motor mounts are different. It'd be a badazz unit though. With enough time and patients, anything is possible!!

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
Can't be any harder than swapping in a 6.7L Cummins into a SD. Make sure you get all the wires from the motor to the tail lights though. If not it will be a spark chasing nightmare. Intercooler will be fun to.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Id like to have a 6.4 in my 99 with a manual computer and a PCS controlling a 4r100....

TyCorr

Reaction score
Why the 4r? Wouldnt a five or six speed with closer ratios compliment that motor better? Or are you thinking you could manage with the wide as heck powerband?

I will say my buddies little brother had a 5r110 in a 97 12v cummins and the pcs tuning was not quite right. The trans was rebuilt twice and by ford the second time and still no worky. I think he had pressure issues in the trans though.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
okay i may have a hell of a deal on a 6.4 has anyone put one in an obs? i know is possible but how much of a headache do you guys think it will be? im planning on using the 6.4 guages, trans and tansfer case. but i havent done a swap like this and was hoping someone on here had some input and maybe tricks..........

Man.... If I was in your area, we'd already have you truck apart waiting for the donor engine to arrive.
I've thought about doing the same thing, just no place to do it, and no extra vehicle to get around in while the truck is down.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Why the 4r? Wouldnt a five or six speed with closer ratios compliment that motor better? Or are you thinking you could manage with the wide as heck powerband?

I will say my buddies little brother had a 5r110 in a 97 12v cummins and the pcs tuning was not quite right. The trans was rebuilt twice and by ford the second time and still no worky. I think he had pressure issues in the trans though.

The 5r and 4r share the same intermediate, direct, and over-drive gear ratio's. The 4r takes a beating a hell of a lot better though.

To the OP, the engine mounts could be made and IMO fairly simply. It would take a litle bit of time for sure but it wouldn't be something I'd be scared to take on. Cool idea for sure :D

I've wanted to use the 7.3 heart and 6.4 brain for awhile now...

Wayne

Reaction score
You guys are seriously overcomplicating this concept. The simplest way is to use ALL 6.4L wiring & Drivetrain components. No wiring challenges what-so-ever. Just change the harnesses at the lights, horn, steering column, etc, or just use the 6.4 column for that matter. Just make sure to use wiring from a comparably equipped truck. Motor mounts should be a no-brainer. Greatest foreseeable challenge is the firewall fitment. Get out a tape on a donor and recipient, then go from there. I see a lot of wannabe projects posted here, and other sites that never materialize. I vote you quit thinking, and start wrenching!

Jhaddox

Reaction score
You guys are seriously overcomplicating this concept. The simplest way is to use ALL 6.4L wiring & Drivetrain components. No wiring challenges what-so-ever. Just change the harnesses at the lights, horn, steering column, etc, or just use the 6.4 column for that matter. Just make sure to use wiring from a comparably equipped truck. Motor mounts should be a no-brainer. Greatest foreseeable challenge is the firewall fitment. Get out a tape on a donor and recipient, then go from there. I see a lot of wannabe projects posted here, and other sites that never materialize. I vote you quit thinking, and start wrenching!

:whs:

just think of it as basically gutting the donor truck and putting as much as you can into the obs

bad12jr

Reaction score
I'd swap the dash and column from a 6.4 into the obs. Would make it pretty simple. Still hard but simpler.

Jake

Reaction score
I have wanted to do this soo bad. I have had thoughts of finding a gently rolled 6.4 and put the obs body on it. But sticking the 6.4 in the obs wouldnt be too bad with a complete donor truck. pull the drivetrain, wiring harness, dash cluster. Damn I want to do this bad! Like some have said the 4r takes more abuse, but with how much I tow I really do like the 5r. Hopefully one of these days the PCS will be completely figured out with the 5R

Latest posts

Members online