104,000 Mile Oil Change

dmd

Reaction score
What happens to all of the contaminants that get dumped in the oil? Great that the
oil is good but I havent seen any regular filter get the nasty stuff out. Is it
deposited under the valve covers for future inspections?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
The add package in the oil is keeping it very clean. The problem to me isnt the oil, its the lack of filter changes. The additive package grabs the nasty stuff and places it in the filter. It doesn't stop doing that when the filter is full it just suspends it. You can see the rise in silicon as proof. That's dirt suspended in the oil. Im not recommending anyone do this, its just to show how robust the oil is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
LE oil would take forever to sludge up, and a ton of ingression would need to happen. I had 6 gallons of coolant go through my oil and it still looked like oil when I dropped it. The wear in these cases comes from the clearance sized parties. Again, im not saying this is a good idea.

dmd

Reaction score
Exactly, suspending it and sending back through the bearings and other lubricated
parts. For extended changes wouldnt a bypass filter to get the very small stuff be
highly recommended?

Great oil doesnt magically eliminate the contaminants.

Diesels get lots of soot in the oil, nothing like older ones but much more than
other fuels.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
It does and it doesn't.
I have noticed time and time again that switching to our oil lowers fuel dilution, soot and other contaminates. There is less blowby so ingression through the ccv drops, and the ring lands clean up so we get less contamination from there. So, you are correct, but we do get less contamination via a better running engine.

My fleet guys usually step like this.
They would have a 10k pm
They switch to ours, and switch to a 15k pm where they do their chassis inspection and lube. Change oil filters and take a sample of the oil. They do that every 15k until either 60-75-90k where they will drop the oil.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
My wife's brand new escape had 5% fuel at 7500 miles, so its not all clear cut anylonger. That was with motorcraft oil.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
27202275cc68ced53199763f16eeaebb.jpg

Here is my oil at 2k. Not many diesels stay clean like this.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
My largest customers are mines and coal handling at power plants. They love my stuff. We work with bypass filtration too. I was eating lunch with one of my mining customers yesterday. They had an Isuzu diesel running on a drag line. They left it running unattended for some reason. It blew a line to the oil cooler, and ran out of oil. They dont know for how long, five minutes, for forty five. But it kept running. That was ten years ago, and its still running today. With oil in it of course. With bypass filtration we get 1000 hour PMs and 30-50k hour rebuilds.

Latest posts

Members online