HpTuners

Reaction score
Anyone out there using HpTuners to tune their 11-16 6.7l Powerstrokes? I have been writing quite a few tunes lately and have been searching for others that due the same and want to share ideas.
I see that MCC is quite popular but I have a 2015 so HpTuners seemed to be the only route, at least from what i found.
Also, do you think it would be ok to share tunes directly through this site or create a dropbox since almost all the tunes i have are for d3letes.

sootie

Reaction score
hmmmm. another first poster talking about deeleets. seems legit.

ckrueg

Reaction score
I've been reading over on the hp tuners forum. I don't have it but I would like to get it soon an try some things out. Are you on the forums over there?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I've been reading over on the hp tuners forum. I don't have it but I would like to get it soon an try some things out. Are you on the forums over there?

Yes i am but it is really dead as far as tuning for power strokes goes on their forum. Only thing it is good for is to request to have tables added and it usually takes a week or so. Hptuners is really good at listening to their customers requests.
Only negative side to HP right now is that their VCM scanner PIDs are off quite a bit so any sort of data logging using it is next to impossible at this time. But they are keeping everyone updated and addressing the issue.

gilgamesh

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to HPTuners but so far I've been able to remedy a shift flare problem in gears 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 by adding shift pressure to low RPM shifts. I was also able to get the converter to keep from unlocking on me for no reason when rolling on the the throttle by changing some TCC values. Solving those 2 issues alone was worth the cost of HPTuners to me.

I've tried a couple different commercial tunes both of which exhibited the same nasty transmission shifting.

HPT support can be frustratingly slow, hopefully they get their act together on that front. SCT support is otherworldly in comparison. But as I understand it the HPTuners tool has much more flexibility allowing you to tune many different vehicles which was why I went that route over the SCT Advantage software.

As for emissions removal, they aren't supported by HPT. Only way I know of is to remove them via other means first then tune with HPTuners after they've been removed. I've also run into some software limits when attempting to set values in their tables which has been annoying but it could be that they are trying to save me from myself.

And don't think you're just going to copy someones tune with emissions removed and apply it to your own it won't work. Either the strategies will be different and it wont write or your emissions will stay intact.

That's been my experience. Would love to hear what others have found.

ckrueg

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to HPTuners but so far I've been able to remedy a shift flare problem in gears 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 by adding shift pressure to low RPM shifts. I was also able to get the converter to keep from unlocking on me for no reason when rolling on the the throttle by changing some TCC values. Solving those 2 issues alone was worth the cost of HPTuners to me.

I've tried a couple different commercial tunes both of which exhibited the same nasty transmission shifting.

HPT support can be frustratingly slow, hopefully they get their act together on that front. SCT support is otherworldly in comparison. But as I understand it the HPTuners tool has much more flexibility allowing you to tune many different vehicles which was why I went that route over the SCT Advantage software.

As for emissions removal, they aren't supported by HPT. Only way I know of is to remove them via other means first then tune with HPTuners after they've been removed. I've also run into some software limits when attempting to set values in their tables which has been annoying but it could be that they are trying to save me from myself.

And don't think you're just going to copy someones tune with emissions removed and apply it to your own it won't work. Either the strategies will be different and it wont write or your emissions will stay intact.

That's been my experience. Would love to hear what others have found.
At the very least you would likely have to change the vin, which I think costs credits. They just recently added user definable parameters, so theoretical if someone was able to find the emissions maps and switches they could remove it. For racing purposes of course.

gilgamesh

Reaction score
I've tried it. Same truck, same VIN, different strategy and it won't write. I get a message that say's the Operating System ID is different. I assume this is saying the strategy is different. I'll ask in their forum and see if this is something that should work or not.

Reaction score
It's literally the same vehicle.

Upload your .hpt file and i can help you out. there are ways around it. and now with the 3.5, or beta version of it, and the option to upload your own parameters directly to Hp, i can see this quickly becoming apart of the software.

gilgamesh

Reaction score
Upload your .hpt file and i can help you out. there are ways around it. and now with the 3.5, or beta version of it, and the option to upload your own parameters directly to Hp, i can see this quickly becoming apart of the software.

Can you elaborate on what needs to be done to the file? It seems like the software sees a different strategy and refuses to write it. The software only has the 'write calibration' option and doesn't seem to have an option for 'write entire' like it might with other vehicles.

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on what needs to be done to the file? It seems like the software sees a different strategy and refuses to write it. The software only has the 'write calibration' option and doesn't seem to have an option for 'write entire' like it might with other vehicles.

Sorry i think i misread what you are trying to accomplish.
You pulled said file from your truck,
You edited said file,
Said file won't write back to truck?

gilgamesh

Reaction score
Sorry i think i misread what you are trying to accomplish.
You pulled said file from your truck,
You edited said file,
Said file won't write back to truck?

A little bit different than that..
wrote a calibration which contained emissions removal to the PCM,
read PCM with hptuners and saved the .hpt file,
Wrote a stock calibration back to the PCM.
Attempted to write the modified calibration using .hpt file back to the truck.
file wouldn't write.

gilgamesh

Reaction score
A little bit different than that..
wrote a calibration which contained emissions removal to the PCM,
read PCM with hptuners and saved the .hpt file,
Wrote a stock calibration back to the PCM.
Attempted to write the modified calibration using .hpt file back to the truck.
file wouldn't write.

According to HPT this is how the software behaves on all vehicles. not just the Ford 6.7. I didn't ask for a work around, but they didn't offer any advice for a workaround either.

I suspect we're going to need those user defined parameters and someone who has DAMOS or A2l files for the 6.7 to be able to make things work with HPTuners when starting from a stock strategy.

Latest posts

Members online