How to make 600 - 700 RWHP - 6.0L

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
i just got off the phone with Matt (robinson) and he said voltage is voltage regardless if it's tuned or not. my scangauge II is reading at least 4.15 volts so far.

He also said that going from 190/100 to 215/100 would not really net much power gain at all. The best thing I could do is jump to 150 nozzles.....but I'm fairly certain the stock pump wouldn't like that

Last edited:

strokin6L

Reaction score
i just got off the phone with Matt (robinson) and he said voltage is voltage regardless if it's tuned or not. my scangauge II is reading at least 4.15 volts so far.

He also said that going from 190/100 to 215/100 would not really net much power gain at all. The best thing I could do is jump to 150 nozzles.....but I'm fairly certain the stock pump wouldn't like that

IDK, according to Eric at ID....it's not. He told me that on some trucks ICP voltage can act just like ICP(HPOP) pressure where pressure wont read right when tuned and when getting the readings from the OBDII port. I asked eric about this and he said voltage reading can act the same way as the psi reading when tuned. But not all trucks will experience this. He said the only way to verify HPOP issue is to run truck under stock tuning.

Last edited:

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
What eric is saying doesnt even make sense, theres no way voltage can fluctuate there would have to be some interuption to the signal for that to happen... How would you know if you were losing hpop with a race tune if you cant test it on that tune besides using a mechanical gauge?

Ive seen 04 trucks read voltage perfectly fine when tune.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
if you put the truck back to stock and check voltage, wouldn't it read differently than when tuned anyways? fuel/oil demands are different tuned vs stock. well i guess since I'm seeing 4+ volts, it's reading accurately??

strokin6L

Reaction score
What eric is saying doesnt even make sense, theres no way voltage can fluctuate there would have to be some interuption to the signal for that to happen... How would you know if you were losing hpop with a race tune if you cant test it on that tune besides using a mechanical gauge?

Well he's the one that does the tuning Greg. I've asked him countless times about this and keep getting the same answer. You can ask him yourself if you want. i've seen '05 and '06 trucks do the same as mine with no issues with the HPOP or sensor.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Here's one email i sent eric...
Hey Eric, got a question for ya about ICP voltage and HPOP pressure. When tuned my truck wont see anything higher than like 1550psi and 2.3v. However when the truck is cold it will read alot higher than that within the first couple of miles till the oil warms up then it drops to the values that i just mentioned. Now, when stock tuned....it'll read alot higher like it should. I thought i remember you mentioning that some trucks will experience HPOP PSI being low when tuned...right? And i also thought that you mentioned that the same thing true for ICP voltage..is that correct also? I'm getting the HPOP PSI reading right from the ICP sensor...not the OBDII port. I used Strictly Diesel's ICP pigtail to tap into the sensorhttp://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-2657-high-pressure-oil-gauge-install-pigtail.aspx However i am getting the ICP voltage from the OBDII with my edge insight CS. My trucks seems to run good, but just really want to touch base and see if voltage readings being low through the OBDII port when tuned is normal along with HPOP PSI reading being low when tuned. My ICP sensor is new....Just trying to rule out any HPOP issues

Here's Eric's response...
That seems about right. Tuned, the ICP function is rescaled and the PCM doesn't read it correctly. You troubleshoot injection pressure issues on the stock tune. I use the Dipricol HPOP gauge and it reads correctly tapped in my pigtail. A few customers have installed the Autometer gauge and it still reads low, not sure which wire they use.

Here's another.....
will voltage act the same as psi tho? When tuned i'm only getting 2.3v max. Today i turned truck back to stock and i can hit 4.7v easily. Just not sure if reading voltage through the OBDII port is suppose to read low like that when tuned. I've heard that voltage should never change when tuned and that only the PSI reading could read incorrectly.

And Eric's response again....
Yeap, works the same way.

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yes Eric and some other tuners tune off the icp sensor, which reads in voltage, which will show a false icp voltage reading while running his tunes except on a mechanical gauge, essientially fooling the hpop/icp to make max volume/psi and hold it. Great way to make power

Powerstrokeracing

Reaction score

I'm with you on this one. I don't see how the tuner can control the voltage. If he does that, why do we even have one while tuned? I mean if you think about it it's doing nothing if that's the case. Now you can't diagnose with a tune on the truck. Seems messed up

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yes Eric and some other tuners tune off the icp sensor, which reads in voltage, which will show a false icp voltage reading while running his tunes except on a mechanical gauge, essientially fooling the hpop/icp to make max volume/psi and hold it. Great way to make power

Everyone tunes off the icp sensor, this is nothing new, my truck reads ICP just fine with Erics tuning, Chris and Matt's tunes, as well as Tony's. There is no reason why the voltage should be reading the way it is on some trucks. The only reason I can think is the fact that the 03-early 04 trucks use a difference PCM than the 04.5+. Im sending this to Matt R

imelmo

Reaction score
Just make sure you can maintain ICP. Or else your dreams will be gone until you get more oil lol

yeah I talked to Jared about that. I want as much fuel as I can get on stock oil...at least for now. we thought 215 would be about what I could support with the stock hpop....as long as it's healthy. i actually just programmed my scangauge a bit ago to read voltage so we'll see.

Chris at TSD said they had some good luck running 225 hybrids with a stock hpop.

imelmo

Reaction score
The price on these wasn't too bad compared to others I've seen. May wanna give him a shout. I'll probably end up with a set myself sooner or later.

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Everyone tunes off the icp sensor, this is nothing new, my truck reads ICP just fine with Erics tuning, Chris and Matt's tunes, as well as Tony's. There is no reason why the voltage should be reading the way it is on some trucks. The only reason I can think is the fact that the 03-early 04 trucks use a difference PCM than the 04.5+. Im sending this to Matt R

On my 06, it will read 15xx psi on wot, but 4100 on mechanical. Xrace.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I can't speak for Eric but with my SRL series tunes I don't screw with the ICP Sensor Voltage as read by the compuer and spit out of the OBDII port. on the pressure side of things you should see no more than 2100 psi or 14.5 MPA to be in the sweet spot.

TooMuch03

Reaction score
I haven't ran Matt's tune in a couple months, but IIRC it didn't mess with my trucks ICP voltage. The tune from Eric that I currently am running does however, like Chris says. Just my experience.

AKHILF

Reaction score
Strokin6L do you have anyone else's race tune you can try out and see? Might be worth picking up one off Matt's to test and find out what you see.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
I haven't ran Matt's tune in a couple months, but IIRC it didn't mess with my trucks ICP voltage. The tune from Eric that I currently am running does however, like Chris says. Just my experience.

I just got the Extreme X from Eric a few weeks ago and it reads 4.7v @ WOT on my truck. All my tunes read voltage without issue on my truck, BUT, I have been in trucks that read low when tuned. Eric also told me the same thing he told Chris (Strokin6l). I had asked him about a members truck.

Off subject, but Xtreme X is awesome. Erics shifting is friggin' spot on. Just sayin'.

Latest posts

Members online