just started my V10 to 7.3 swap

2000f350

Reaction score
Started my 7.3 build. Pulled the v10 motor/trans over the weekend. And ordered tons of parts. I'm putting in a IH 7.3 from a school bus. Ordered new oil pickup, oil pan, oil cooler, and morosos one piece rubber/metal oil pan gasket. I have a complete engine and dash harness from a 2003 7.3 truck. Along with the fuse box acc brackets. Hopefully if all my parts come in by the weekend I can put the motor in and start rewiring the truck. Anyone here done this? If so any tips/tricks on the wiring? I was gonna start with the engine side, and see if I need the dash side. The 7.3 is out of an 02 bus but uses a mechanical fuel pump. I'm going to stick with that for now as it was replaced shortly before I bought the motor. I'm also going to use the ps pump from the bus which is mounted above the fuel pump in the vallley and is gear driven.
Thanks
Josh

rascal

Reaction score
I would be curious to hear how your luck is with the Moroso oil pan gasket. I would want to use a gasket as well but everyone seems to swear by the Ford silicone.

Good luck!

2000f350

Reaction score
We will see how the gasket holds up. It came with studs to mount the pan. The fit was good. A friend of mine that works at international says they've used quite a few and they're great. It better be for the $85 it cost me!!
On a good note tho the motor is in the truck. I'm going to start the wiring tomorrow.

79schaefer

Reaction score
I just finished this swap. Early 2001 v-10 to late 2001 7.3 Powerstroke. I will tell you this right now, the wiring is completely different. I had a donor truck here for everything. Firewall connectors are different, dash wiring is different, wiring routing is different. I changed everything concerning the wiring. I even had to switch out the door latches to get the interior lights to work properly.

I am more than glad I did the swap, but it was a bit frustrating at times. Granted, I did the complete swap in 2 long days.

Steve S.
To many to list.

2000f350

Reaction score
Havent updated on here in a while. Engine harness is done. Trans and tcase are in. I dropped the fuel tank and added a 3/8 pickup and ran 3/8 line from tank to motor with a frame mounted wAter separator. I repinned the dash harness and it seems like it will work fine. Power Windows work, radio and locks work along with all the lights. I have heard the truck run however the pedal isn't working so im working on figuring that out. Also fried the starter yesterday. Once I figure out the pedal all I should have left is finishing the exhaust which I already have, just have to install it. Mbrp SS downpipe. 4" turbo back.and some other small things to finish up.

2000f350

Reaction score
Truck is on the road and running great. I have about 1000 miles on it. The tach is off by around 400 rpms but I can live with that.

Latest posts

Members online