OBS Cummings swap

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Well I guess it's about time I start a thread about a current swap I'm working on. A little back story, we got this '96 single cab F-350 4x4 from my uncle with a blown 7.3, we had intentions of swapping another one in and just drive it.
y6evugah.jpg

urahe2ag.jpg

After dropping another engine in it that also turned out to be bad so it sat while I tried to locate another engine. My sisters boyfriend found a complete '95 Dodge 2500 12v for CHEAP, it ran but we suspected it needed a rebuild, after getting it home and running a compression test we found out the engine was good and it just needed a turbo and injectors.
asuja9ap.jpg

upa3u2at.jpg
We decided to keep the 47RH tranny instead of running the Ford e4od, I had to locate an overdrive unit and a 241 DLD transfer case since we wanted to keep the powertrain all Dodge parts.
Right now I am in the process of resealing the Cummins and painting some parts. Since it will be my little sisters backup truck she wanted some pink added to the engine, so the injector lines are nice hot pink lol, luckily she decided not to do the valve covers also.
The engine only has a 160 pump so this truck will not be getting any major power adders. It will be getting an hx35 and 50 horsepower injectors from DDP, I still haven't decided which route to go with the exhaust manifold and I can't decide if I should intercool it with my old 6.0 IC or not. If everything goes like planned I should have the engine cleaned up and resealed this week sometime and have it sitting in the truck by Saturday. After that it's all of the little stuff to make the gauges, A/C, P/S and accesories work. It should be a nice clean OBS Fummins when it's done. :ford:

Last edited:

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I'm really tempted to do the IC since the front clip is already torn down, I just don't know how much of a pain in the ass it's gonna be, I guess I should start to research it a bit more.

Matt_P

Reaction score
I'm really tempted to do the IC since the front clip is already torn down, I just don't know how much of a pain in the ass it's gonna be, I guess I should start to research it a bit more.

Its not bad at all to do, definitely would be the right time to put it in since the front clip is off. Youll just have to do a little trimming on the core support and make some mounts.

Sounds like itll be a good truck when its all done

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Well that doesn't sound too bad, since it is for my little sister I don't want her to have to worry about EGTs, I want it to be as easy to drive as possible so I imagine I'll be donating an IC for the cause LOL

Does anyone have some information on the exhaust manifold? I've been told I'm going to need a Commonrail manifold and have it port matched. It looks like the stock 12v manifold will work but I don't know for sure. Maybe I can get away with just flipping it to make the turbo sit higher?

Matt_P

Reaction score
Well that doesn't sound too bad, since it is for my little sister I don't want her to have to worry about EGTs, I want it to be as easy to drive as possible so I imagine I'll be donating an IC for the cause LOL

Does anyone have some information on the exhaust manifold? I've been told I'm going to need a Commonrail manifold and have it port matched. It looks like the stock 12v manifold will work but I don't know for sure. Maybe I can get away with just flipping it to make the turbo sit higher?

Yeah its real easy, this is a write up I did a long time ago for putting one in, I hope nobody minds that its a link to the Org. Like I said I did it a while ago LOL
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/7-3-mod-help/77921-obs-intercooler-install.html

As for the exhaust manifold, you dont have to buy a commonrail manifold and have it port matched. All you need is a manifold off an industrial 12v engine. It sits the turbo like a commonrail manifold but this way it just bolts right up. I have one on my 12v thats going in my 86. With just an HX35 though it may be small enough that you can flip the original manifold and fit the turbo in, but Im not sure on the dimensions on an OBS to know it will work for sure but it would be worth a try.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I appreciate the link! That's a nice write-up, it seems easier than I first thought.
I thought the industrial manifolds were the non-IC version that made the turbo sit above the engine and feeds directly into a plenum style intake?

Last edited:

Matt_P

Reaction score
I appreciate the link! That's a nice write-up, it seems easier than I first thought.
I thought the industrial manifolds were the non-IC version that made the turbo sit above the engine and feeds directly into a plenum style intake?

No problem, it is pretty easy to do.

There may be an industrial manifold that is that style, but there is also an industrial manifold that is almost identical to a commonrail manifold. I think they may have been in freightliners but Im not positive. I had one of them on my old 99 with the 12v and I have one on the new engine as well. I can get a picture for you if you want

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Matt! If you could post a picture I'd appreciate it.
Garrett how much do you want for it?

I got home today and started cleaning some parts with the pressure washer. I realized i never pulled the tranny and t case from the Ford so I had to work on that for a bit. I got the tappet cover and the front cover painted, I ran out of time to do the valve covers. I had planned on putting in the rear main and front main but decided to wait for a second set of eyes to make sure I don't screw anything up lol. I also tried to separate the 47rh to install the 4x4 OD unit, I thought it would just come part easily but it feels like there's a snap ring or something holding it together, anyone got any pointers on this?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360640187.387674.jpg
Here's some pictures of the fordcummins engine mounts and the pink injection lines.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360640043.856064.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360640076.835505.jpg

Matt_P

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Matt! If you could post a picture I'd appreciate it.
Garrett how much do you want for it?

I got home today and started cleaning some parts with the pressure washer. I realized i never pulled the tranny and t case from the Ford so I had to work on that for a bit. I got the tappet cover and the front cover painted, I ran out of time to do the valve covers. I had planned on putting in the rear main and front main but decided to wait for a second set of eyes to make sure I don't screw anything up lol. I also tried to separate the 47rh to install the 4x4 OD unit, I thought it would just come part easily but it feels like there's a snap ring or something holding it together, anyone got any pointers on this?
View attachment 14196
Here's some pictures of the fordcummins engine mounts and the pink injection lines.
View attachment 14194
View attachment 14195

No problem! Here is a picture of the manifold

IMG_7740.jpg

As for the tranny, its been a little while since Ive messed with a 47, there is a snap ring that holds the internals of the OD housing in the case, but I cant remember if that will stop you from being able to seperate it or not.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Thanks for the pic.
I'm gonna make a few calls today to see if I'm doing something wrong tryin to get the 47 apart. I'd hate to screw something up and have to buy another part.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I've been pretty busy this week with school and the SA rodeo so I haven't made much progress. The injectors showed up today though! I plan to make a lot of progress this weekend
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360889525.884271.jpg

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
I finally got time to work on this today, I was dealing with a pretty good hangover lol but we were able to get everything but the oil pan resealed. I also took the 2wd tail section off the tranny and installed the 4wd OD unit, We forgot to order a filter for it so I won't be able to get the pan back on and pressure washed until tomorrow evening.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361147355.180651.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361147320.189433.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361147389.096216.jpg

I didn't get quite as much done as I was hoping for but then again I wasn't exactly working at 100%.

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
Tonight I was able to get the trans and tcase bolted together, I put the filter and pan on last night. Tomorrow I will get it all pressure washed and lookin good. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361419921.658220.jpg
I also painted the block and got the oil pan on, I am determined to get it all sitting in the truck this weekend!

Latest posts

Members online