zf6 blown

andrewv_24

Reaction score
My zf6 finally gave up. I'm considering doing a swap for a built automatic. I got a quote for the swap from a company that was for 12-15k. Just wondering if that seemed high.

kadeninabnitt

Reaction score
:whs: way high imo i probably have about 1200 bucks in swapping back to an auto granted mine is an obs and the trans just has a few upgrades but still its basically unbolt the zf bolt in the auto change the harness and pcm and steering column im not sure if the sd t-case interchanges or if driveshaft length differs but even going with a bts i could see maybe hitting 8k max i think a bts trans is going for 4500 correct me if im wrong then maybe another 2500 or so for shaft shortening/lengthening a pcm harness and steering column depending on where you get your parts

rascal

Reaction score
I thought if I ever converted my truck to an auto I would just fab a plate to go over where the manual shifter is now and mount a floor mounted shifter there. That way I would not have to touch my steering column.

Of course, I also would want to get the DeStroked adapter plate for the 7.3/Allison 1000 and run that with a stand alone TCM.

However, I will have my stock ZF6 rebuilt by MidWest at least once and let them try to bullet proof it before I go to an auto.

All that aside; do it yourself and save big $$$!

Good luck!

andrewv_24

Reaction score
I talked with diesel innovations this morning and they said they'd do it for a little more than half of what the other ppl would charge. Only issue is getting my truck from san Angelo to Houston. I'd love trying to get it done myself just don't really have a place to work on it since I live in an apartment.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Swapping to an auto you would need,
-4r100 or E4OD
-Superduty transfer case mounted to that (for an auto, since the input shafts are a different spline count)
-PCS with the proper harness
-Adapter plate from engine to trans, and the proper alignment dowels
-Crank spacer thingy (goes between flexplate and crank)
-Flexplate
-A shifter of some sort
-Trans. cooler
-Trans. cooler lines

I may be forgetting a thing or two but those are most of the things needed.

When I swapped from a ZF6 to a BTS I spent roughly $4k. Granted I got a pretty good deal on a used BTS, and shopped around for the rest of the parts. It took a little while to get everything together, but the only thing I didn't have when I went to install everything was that spacer between the crank and flexplate. The whole swap took about a day and was just about entirely a bolt in swap. I kept the manual PCM and steering column, put my shifter on the dash, and simply covered the hole in the floor with a plate and carpet.

The PCS is nothing short of awsome and would recommend using it to anyone. Lastly I am much happier with the auto, that I have complete control over vs. a ZF6 with any clutch that will hold decent power.

andrewv_24

Reaction score
I talked to a shop around here yesterday and they mentioned something about altering the driveshaft is that true? How exactly does the pcs work?

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I never touched my driveshafts. There's a lot to the PCS, are you asking how it works hooking everything up, or how the programing works?

The programing side of things is hard to explain if you have never seen it, your best bet would be to download it and start playing around. There are plenty of people like Bryan at BTS that will email trans. tuning files for the PCS, then virtually all you need to do is download them to the PCS and drive. Tuning it to your liking is a trial and error thing, if you have a base file to work from its hard to do anything that will hurt the transmission.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
The most expensive items on your list are:
Built trans
PCS system.

Like trailerhauler said. Its basically bolt in, even the column stuff. Thats actually the easiest part.

Find a wrecked truck to use as a donor, or scour junkyards for parts

Latest posts

Members online