E-fuel problem

79jasper

Reaction score
I installed one of the kits mark fugazzotto makes. Basically pre and post filters with the stock SD pump, the the regulator block.
Anyways was working fine for about 10 miles, then keeps pulling air. I can fill both filters, then it'll run for a bit, then repeat. When I pull the pre-pump filter, it'll be basically empty. All fittings are tight.
Running the factory selector valve. Had no problems previous to the E-fuel.
What I'm sorta wandering is, I don't have the in tank strainers anymore. They broke off so I replaced them with hose with tees at the bottom so it won't suck to the tank. Now could not having the strainers cause it suck up the foamy return fuel, therefore not drawing enough fuel to keep the filters full? Or am I way off?
Tomorrow I'm going to pull the outlet line off and see if it'll just pump into a bucket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I can give YouTube links to the fuel system if needed.

79jasper

Reaction score
I'm thinking diy sump.
Does that sound like a very plausible assumption on it being the foam?

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
It sounds like there is more than enough fuel in the tank, I have a hard time believing that it is sucking air at the bottom of the tank if there is really more than 1/2 tank of fuel.

That said, are you 100% certain that the sending units are working correctly?

Does it matter which tank you use? Are they both doing it?

Any chance the hose didn't stay on the pickup tube?

79jasper

Reaction score
Sending unit is working right, far as I can tell.
Haven't tried the other tank.
Hose is still there because I run them low routinely.

But I was brainstorming with the producer of the kit and think I have it narrowed down.
The instructions were for mounting to the inside of the frame, being regular cab 4x4 I had to mount on the outside so everything had to be flipped around, and I most likely forgot to flip the filter heads also. So basically pulling fuel through the filter backwards.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
For that matter, make sure you have the filters in the right order. If you have the fine micron filter before the pump you will have issues as well.

79jasper

Reaction score
They are in the right order.
But I'm betting it's the bases. Yes, they do have arrows. Out at dinner right now. May not be able to mess with it to check til tomorrow.

79jasper

Reaction score
Switched the bases. Still the same. Even just letting it idle, after about 5 minutes it's like it ran out of fuel.
I'm thinking about bypassing the selector valve. About the only thing left I know to try.

ghohouston

Reaction score
My selector valve got stuck between positions, and wouldn't let the truck run but about 30 mph, then it would bog down and die. Fuel gauge showed both tanks way past full at all times though. Burnt up my first sd pump before I figured it out.

Swaan

Reaction score
You gotta toss the selector valve.
It's to restrictive and defeats the purpose of even running big fuel.
The perfect combination in my opinion is a 38 gal sumped rear tank and all new lines ,min 3/8 . With 1/2 feeding pump.
And a good system with a good pump like a fuel lab . Done .

Your pump is probley cavitating because of the tiny 5/16 lines at the selector valve .

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
After reading more I noticed your just running a stock SD pump so cavitation is probley not your problem.
It's getting air somewhere and I'm wiling to bet its those lines on the selector valve . Once you start messing with those lines after they have been on there for almost 20 years there notorious for sucking air .
The rubber O -rings get dried out in those snap to connect fittings
That selector valve is more trouble then there worth especially when they get old

Swaan

Reaction score
Just run a hose straight from the pickup top of fuel tank direct to your pre filter .Let us know how you make out

79jasper

Reaction score
That's what I'll do.
Oh yeah, should I go ahead and do the return line also?

Last edited:

79jasper

Reaction score
Alrighty. And the lines are supposed to be 3/8 and 5/16? (Between the selector valve and tanks)
But I know coming from the selector valve both are the same size.
Just wanna make sure before I buy a mile of hose in the wrong size. Lol

Latest posts

Members online