New from PA

Puil00

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

My truck history, many F150 and F250 gas trucks, then a few years back I bought my first diesel, it is (I still have it) a 2000 F250 with the 7.3. I love that truck, best truck I have ever owned, but it is an upstate NY truck and the body has all but fallen off. It got to where I had to by my second and current diesel a 2005 F350 with the 6.0, worst truck I have ever owned. I am hoping that I can learn more about my truck to help me figure out if I should just light this thing on fire and then roll it over a cliff or......well, not sure if there is an or.

sootie

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

My truck history, many F150 and F250 gas trucks, then a few years back I bought my first diesel, it is (I still have it) a 2000 F250 with the 7.3. I love that truck, best truck I have ever owned, but it is an upstate NY truck and the body has all but fallen off. It got to where I had to by my second and current diesel a 2005 F350 with the 6.0, worst truck I have ever owned. I am hoping that I can learn more about my truck to help me figure out if I should just light this thing on fire and then roll it over a cliff or......well, not sure if there is an or.

what so bad about the six oh...usually they are quite reliable and get decent mileage...

Puil00

Reaction score
I bought the truck a little over 2 years ago and have not stopped working on it since. A month after I got it I had to replace all the seals in the high pressure oil system along with the seals on the injectors and I had to put 3 injectors in it. It literally looked like something had been chewing on all the seals. About a year later I had to replace all of the injectors and the IPR. About 6 months ago I had to do the ICP, VGT control solenoid, and clean the turbo. Then over thanksgiving while I was in NY visiting family the truck broke down and left me stranded in NY. A FICM, 2 injectors, oil rail seals on the right side, all 4 injector cups on the right side, hours of labor and a $3,500 bill just to get my truck running again so I could get home. After everything was put back together and the truck was finally running injectors 1 and 4 are weak and run rough when they are cold. So now I'm looking at doing 2 more injectors. To top everything off the turbo is sticking again and causing an over boost issue if I get into it at all.

sootie

Reaction score
sounds like if was fixed correctly the first time around you wouldn't have had so many issues. A good monitor helps too so you can see issues approaching such as ficm voltage etc

Puil00

Reaction score
Maybe you can explain something to me because I truly don't understand. I have been doing my own research, reading forums, watching videos, etc...and there is one thing I just can't get my head around.

As I said in my first post my 2000 F250 is the first diesel I bought and it's the only 7.3 I have owned. However, we had them on the farm growing up so I've been driving them for years and they always worked. We never had any problems with any of them and we USED them. I've never had a problem with my 2000. The body has literally started falling off around the motor but the motor still runs GREAT. I know several people who have or have had the 6.0 and they all had nothing but problems with them.

In my research I always hear the same thing over and over and over again. "The 6.0 can be a great reliable motor IF you do XYZ." "The 6.0 will last and be reliable if you baby it." And/Or, "Sure the 7.3 is a good reliable motor but it's a dinosaur and it's past it's time." Why would anyone "want" a motor that doesn't just work right out of the box? Or a motor that you have to baby. When I say we USED the trucks on the farm I mean it. We worked those things HARD and yet they still always worked.

I also hear that the 6.0 is more powerful than the 7.3 but that's not been my experience. Both of mine are stock and the 7.3 will pull circles around the 6.0. I will admit that the 6.0 has the 7.3 off the line every time but by 20 mph that 7.3 walks away from the 6.0. What good is more horse power on paper if it doesn't translate to more pulling power on the street?

When I say this keep in mind we are only talking 7.3 vs 6.0. I had the owner of a Ford dealership (who still turns wrench for the dealership) tell me that he wouldn't give me a nickel for an entire truck load of 6.0's and would gladly take the 7.3 back any day. That says something! I mean if the Ford guy who got his start as a wrench turner right out of high school, worked his way up through, and is now the owner of the dealership thinks the 6.0 is junk. Doesn't that scream stay away from this thing?

Of the stuff I read and see online, plus my experiences, it really sounds/looks to me like people are trying to sell (to themselves and everyone else) something that just isn't that good. I just don't understand.

sootie

Reaction score
Maybe you can explain something to me because I truly don't understand. I have been doing my own research, reading forums, watching videos, etc...and there is one thing I just can't get my head around.

As I said in my first post my 2000 F250 is the first diesel I bought and it's the only 7.3 I have owned. However, we had them on the farm growing up so I've been driving them for years and they always worked. We never had any problems with any of them and we USED them. I've never had a problem with my 2000. The body has literally started falling off around the motor but the motor still runs GREAT. I know several people who have or have had the 6.0 and they all had nothing but problems with them.

In my research I always hear the same thing over and over and over again. "The 6.0 can be a great reliable motor IF you do XYZ." "The 6.0 will last and be reliable if you baby it." And/Or, "Sure the 7.3 is a good reliable motor but it's a dinosaur and it's past it's time." Why would anyone "want" a motor that doesn't just work right out of the box? Or a motor that you have to baby. When I say we USED the trucks on the farm I mean it. We worked those things HARD and yet they still always worked.

I also hear that the 6.0 is more powerful than the 7.3 but that's not been my experience. Both of mine are stock and the 7.3 will pull circles around the 6.0. I will admit that the 6.0 has the 7.3 off the line every time but by 20 mph that 7.3 walks away from the 6.0. What good is more horse power on paper if it doesn't translate to more pulling power on the street?

When I say this keep in mind we are only talking 7.3 vs 6.0. I had the owner of a Ford dealership (who still turns wrench for the dealership) tell me that he wouldn't give me a nickel for an entire truck load of 6.0's and would gladly take the 7.3 back any day. That says something! I mean if the Ford guy who got his start as a wrench turner right out of high school, worked his way up through, and is now the owner of the dealership thinks the 6.0 is junk. Doesn't that scream stay away from this thing?

Of the stuff I read and see online, plus my experiences, it really sounds/looks to me like people are trying to sell (to themselves and everyone else) something that just isn't that good. I just don't understand.

Sorry, i dont go off what others say about them, i go by personal experience. We ran them in fleet applications (still do) and by far they get the best mileage and we have very very few issues with them. Of course, farmers typically have a slightly different idea of "good maintenance" than corporations that keep their trucks running down the road...

If your 7.3 is faster than your six oh, your six oh has issues. Babying a six liter is about the worst thing you can do to it.

Think back in time, around 03 is when diesel tech really took off. We had the transition on many different platforms from mechanical to electronic. Along with that came a learning curve for the techs. most of the 6.0's bad rep came from misdiagnosed issues and parts being thrown at them because most guys didnt have a clue how to fix them.

The other thing to remember is the introduction of emissions equipment. That was unproven and a learning curve for manufacturers. Be assured, if someone slapped EGR on a 7.3, can you imagine how gutless they would be and how gummed up the engines would get???

Instead of blaming the engine, attempt to understand the slightly larger picture.

That being said, im not blind to the fact there are seemingly inherent issues that should be less common with them, and are non existent on other platforms. I still dont see these engines as turds and wouldnt hesitate to run one personally at any point.

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
Yeah you've got some serious problems with your 6.0 if it's getting beat by a 7.3. Don't get me wrong, the 7.3 is a great motor, but it's not going to ever be fast. People who hate 6.0's read too much stuff online. The 6.0 gets decent mileage, especially ******d. You shouldn't have to baby a motor but if you're flogging on it hard (judging by your emphasis on "USED" I'm assuming you do), it needs preventative maintenance. Parts are expensive for diesels and if you run cheap fluids and parts and stretch their life it's going to be a bad experience. Even a 7.3 is going to break if you abuse it.

I've got like 750k across 2 powerstrokes and a vt365 with only egr cleanings. OG studs, heads, gaskets, etc.

Puil00

Reaction score
I am so frustrated with my truck that I am seriously thinking about either yanking the 7.3 and tranny out of the 2000 and dropping it in the 05 or taking the body off of the 05 and putting it on the 2000. I can't afford to run my 05 anymore and I can't afford to buy another truck but I need a truck. I'm hauling logs and a 10,000lbs skid loaded.

sootie

Reaction score
I am so frustrated with my truck that I am seriously thinking about either yanking the 7.3 and tranny out of the 2000 and dropping it in the 05 or taking the body off of the 05 and putting it on the 2000. I can't afford to run my 05 anymore and I can't afford to buy another truck but I need a truck. I'm hauling logs and a 10,000lbs skid loaded.

smh.....why not get the truck running properly?

So many advantages to the 05, coil sprung front end, 5R110 transmission etc.

Sounds like you have absorbed the propaganda online on how bad six liters are and have destined your truck to never be reliable.

Start with a good monitor like an edge CTS2 and start a thread in the tech section with all your readings and lots of ppl will help you get it running properly.

Puil00

Reaction score
Ok, let me explain my ultimate plan for this truck. It is currently my daily driver and I also use it to work with but I bought this truck to be my dream truck. When I picture my dream truck it is either a 92-97 OR 05-07 body style, dually, quad cab, 8 foot bed, 4x4, diesel, with a stick. This truck is everything I'm looking for minus the stick. I want to trick this truck out and make it my own. This thing is going to be my forever truck. I want my kids asking to barrow this thing to go to the prom because it's AWESOME and they are ages 10, 8, and 5.

Now I know having a project truck can get expensive but my plan is to do a little bit at a time over a few years to help spread the cost out and make it manageable. My concern is/the reason why I have been asking about the motor is I want to also tweak the motor to get more out of it. This thing is going to be my toy and I want to have fun. I'm not looking to go extreme like the guys that are turning 1000+ horse but I want more than stock. I know that the 7.3 will hold up to that if taken care of but with all the issues I've been having will the 6.0 hold up to that? My confidence in the 6.0 has been shaken and I don't want to spend the time and the money making the truck look the way I want it to, to have it not run because the motor is junk.

So back to my original post. I don't know what to do with this thing. Between buying the truck and all the repairs I've had to do just to keep it running this thing has cost me a fortune. Do I sink more money into this to try and make the 6.0 a solid motor, or do the swap with the 7.3, or get out of it now and buy a different truck?

sootie

Reaction score
Ok, let me explain my ultimate plan for this truck. It is currently my daily driver and I also use it to work with but I bought this truck to be my dream truck. When I picture my dream truck it is either a 92-97 OR 05-07 body style, dually, quad cab, 8 foot bed, 4x4, diesel, with a stick. This truck is everything I'm looking for minus the stick. I want to trick this truck out and make it my own. This thing is going to be my forever truck. I want my kids asking to barrow this thing to go to the prom because it's AWESOME and they are ages 10, 8, and 5.

Now I know having a project truck can get expensive but my plan is to do a little bit at a time over a few years to help spread the cost out and make it manageable. My concern is/the reason why I have been asking about the motor is I want to also tweak the motor to get more out of it. This thing is going to be my toy and I want to have fun. I'm not looking to go extreme like the guys that are turning 1000+ horse but I want more than stock. I know that the 7.3 will hold up to that if taken care of but with all the issues I've been having will the 6.0 hold up to that? My confidence in the 6.0 has been shaken and I don't want to spend the time and the money making the truck look the way I want it to, to have it not run because the motor is junk.

So back to my original post. I don't know what to do with this thing. Between buying the truck and all the repairs I've had to do just to keep it running this thing has cost me a fortune. Do I sink more money into this to try and make the 6.0 a solid motor, or do the swap with the 7.3, or get out of it now and buy a different truck?

No way in he!l i'd ever swap a 7.3 for anything. I fail to see the enjoyment of a gutless rattletrap in a newer truck.

if you cant afford to fix this truck right, you cant afford another truck.

A 6.0 will handle lots of power reliably, far far more than a 7.3 will hold. You could make mid 500 HP safely, easily and still tow etc. That power level is attainable with stock bottom end, injector/turbo upgrades with supporting mods. Getting upwards of 600 i feel that drivability may suffer esp with the weight you tow.

Again, you keep referring to this motor as junk...you seriously have told yourself its garbage, instead of figuring out how to make it work. Until you get a monitor and figure out the accurate health of it, we are wasting words here...

Oh and at least two of the highest horsepower Ford diesels are six liters!

Puil00

Reaction score
Please don't take me calling my 6.0 junk as me calling all of them junk. I am only going off of my experience and what I have read. I did not feel that I was getting complete answers by just reading about things which is why I joined the forum. I hoped that by asking the questions that I have I could get a more complete picture of where I'm at, where I'm headed, and what I need to be doing. I will run a 6.0 for the rest of my life and drop the 7.3 if the 6.0 is reliable and accomplishes what I want out of it.

So let me ask some different questions.

You say I should get a monitor, what one should I get?

This truck has 281,000 miles on. With all the issues that I have had with this motor should I look into rebuilding it or should it be good for another 200,000? Meaning what's the average life span of one of these?

After I get the motor running sound what's the best route to go with upgrades? I'm not going to be able to do them all at once so where to start? It has exhaust and a K&N air filter.

The one thing this truck is missing to meeting all of my ideal dream truck specs is a stick. Is there a manual transmission that can be put behind this motor or are they all auto? By the way, the stick is purely personal preference. I just prefer a manual transmission. Most peole I know think I'm crazy for liking a stick LOL.

Last but not least THANK YOU for taking the time to respond to these. I'm here to learn and truly appreciate all the help I can get!

sootie

Reaction score
Like i mentioned in post #10, the Edge CTS2 Monitor would be the best.

You will need quality tuning as well. I recommend Gear Head on the SCT platform.

Ditch the K&N intake, it will dust your engine. Go with a No Limit Fabrication one.

With that many miles, and planning on keeping it for many more as well as adding power, I would rebuild it. That being said, we have a truck with many more miles than that on a stock bottom end and it runs fine. It is a tune only truck though so sub 400HP.

Yes the ZF6 manual trans was an option in these trucks. We have one and it is an ABSOLUTE TURD to drive. You think you hate the truck now, wait until it has a manual...

I would do a bottom end refresh, so new bearings, gaskets and rings. If you can get away with a cylinder hone-great. If not, a .020 bore and new pistons. Have the block checked for flatness. Make sure you replace the lifters when it is apart. Inspect the front cover behind the water pump for cavitation. Always a good idea to replace the oil pump. Send the heads out to get magnafluxed and decked. Reinstall the heads with OEM gaskets and ARP head studs. Deelet the egr. Go with some heavier valve springs. If any of the pistons have valve marks in them, make sure those valves get replaced as well as the piston. Install a mew OEM oil cooler. Install a coolant filter. You now need to choose a turbo and injector builder. I wont begin to say i am an expert on injector sizing but i think 175/30s should get you where you wnat power wise, paired with a good stage 1 or 2 turbo from a vendor of choice. I would look hard at KC Turbo.

Biggest thing is to get a finger on the pulse of where you are now, before you start ripping things apart.

Latest posts

Members online