Anti gel test

jimdawg185

Reaction score
The problem with testing anti gel properties in your truck is the issues that it causes in your truck. You can just mix it up and set it outside as well. But that only gives one dynamic. You can also use the freezer, but that probably won't go near enough to the gel point of winter #2.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Also, it is important to remember that anti gel treatments themselves can get quite thick. It is mixing them with the diesel that completes the chemistry. Anti gel basically does one thing, it separates the wax crystals from each other when they start to form in the fuel.

04stroker

Reaction score
I personally do not like power service I have had it in several trucks that still gelled when it got real cold mainly -10 and below. Had 2 dmaxes and a 6.0 do it with power service.

ToMang07

Reaction score
I've used Power Service (White Bottle) in temps as low as -30*F (before wind chill) and never (knocks on wood) had any gelling issues. Sure....truck didn't want to start and bitched for a couple minutes, but never gelled up. I do over-dose it a little bit tho, and use TW3 2-stroke oil as well.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
I've used Power Service (White Bottle) in temps as low as -30*F (before wind chill) and never (knocks on wood) had any gelling issues. Sure....truck didn't want to start and bitched for a couple minutes, but never gelled up. I do over-dose it a little bit tho, and use TW3 2-stroke oil as well.

It seems to be more of a prevalent issue with trucks that have fuel filters on the frame rail

ToMang07

Reaction score
It seems to be more of a prevalent issue with trucks that have fuel filters on the frame rail

I only have 1 on the frame, but still....no issues.

I've noticed a lot of the people that have issues live in more southern states, and although I have no proof, my theory is they live in an area with either poorly mixed winter fuel, or still have summer fuel in the tank.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
I only have 1 on the frame, but still....no issues.

I've noticed a lot of the people that have issues live in more southern states, and although I have no proof, my theory is they live in an area with either poorly mixed winter fuel, or still have summer fuel in the tank.

Over on CompD there were quite a few guys who have had issues with Power Service and gelling. Majority lived in cold northern states

ToMang07

Reaction score
Over on CompD there were quite a few guys who have had issues with Power Service and gelling. Majority lived in cold northern states

And if that's the case, maybe I'm just lucky.

Of course, if you knew me better, you'd KNOW that wasn't the case, LOL

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Its no secret what keeps fuel from gelling. You will see companies that can make a good product have issues pop up when they are not ISO 9001 compliant. Its a PITA to keep the ISO standards, but it pays off in consistency. Some of our products are checked 30 times from the base oil entering til the final product leaves. We do it for the 100 million dollar turbines our oil goes into. But it benefits all our customers from the 10 gig power gen plants to the guy with a Sthil weed whacker.

psduser1

Reaction score
Its no secret what keeps fuel from gelling. You will see companies that can make a good product have issues pop up when they are not ISO 9001 compliant. Its a PITA to keep the ISO standards, but it pays off in consistency. Some of our products are checked 30 times from the base oil entering til the final product leaves. We do it for the 100 million dollar turbines our oil goes into. But it benefits all our customers from the 10 gig power gen plants to the guy with a Sthil weed whacker.

Difference between Dorman and Motorcraft

Quality control

Atsah

Reaction score
And if that's the case, maybe I'm just lucky.

Of course, if you knew me better, you'd KNOW that wasn't the case, LOL

You didn't get lucky Tom, I have used Power Service up here since 2005 and never gelled trucks, tractors, skidders ever.. I give it a good dose of it and it works for me..

morepower02

Reaction score
I've had powerservice gel in blended fuel a couple of times and I dump the 100 gallon bottle in my 26 gallon tank. -20's air temp with a 6.0 both times. Never a issue with 7.3 or 6.6 duramax.

Atsah

Reaction score
Two 6.0's and one 7.3 for me.. I plowed a lot with all three.. I also added motorcraft performance improver to it, maybe that has something to do with it.. :shrug:

morepower02

Reaction score
Maybe. I think my issues were with small town stations that said blended to a certain temp but were not close. I try to stick with truck stops here in the winter and haven't had a issue. I still dump the 32 ounce bottle in every tank. Sure runs smoother.

Last edited:

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Well, I'm glad not everyone has had issues with PS. However, no one has ever had issues with Full Torque, or BTU+. I have a dozen ice road truckers that use it in Alaska at -40 or colder. And not only did it not gel, it helped their engines run smoother. Let me see If I can upload some info.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
054c9ead389faad9ee67684a98bcead3.jpg
33edcfd2541d1f13dfeaf99211dab822.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.