Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 6.7 Aftermarket

Old 04-14-2018, 09:35 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Default SCT EGT Probe Install Questions

Going to sounds real dumb, but where should the probe be installed?

I had a local diesel tuning shop do it & I think they put it on the wrong place... they tapped in where the 90 deg bend is next the the transmission.... I would have thought it was supposed to go as close to the turbo as possible?

I did some searching on here & on Google... I couldn't find a picture for the 6.7L Powerstroke. Earlier models were tapped in right at the manifold (6.0L).

With the accelerator to the floor for 8 seconds & my EGT temperature barley broke 700 deg..... after I had been driving for a while too.

Shame on me for not doing a little research on the subject before having the work done. Should have just done it myself.... I tend to be way over the top particular on stuff like this. I don't even like it facing down because I'd be worried a branch or something could get caught & rip it out. I drive off road a lot.

I attached the picture. Sorry for bad lighting. The flanges bolted together on the top of the picture are to where the *** system would start.

Thanks for any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30707933_10155217149290919_9112660304088530944_n.jpg (86.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 04-14-2018, 11:28 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Definitely a not a recommended placement for performance. Install a egr block plate with the egt bung welded in. It's in the valley up by your intake on the passengers side of the motor. That will do little to no good where it's at. Makes me question how legit your diesel shop is...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-15-2018, 03:44 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeColt View Post
Going to sounds real dumb, but where should the probe be installed?

I had a local diesel tuning shop do it & I think they put it on the wrong place... they tapped in where the 90 deg bend is next the the transmission.... I would have thought it was supposed to go as close to the turbo as possible?

I did some searching on here & on Google... I couldn't find a picture for the 6.7L Powerstroke. Earlier models were tapped in right at the manifold (6.0L).

With the accelerator to the floor for 8 seconds & my EGT temperature barley broke 700 deg..... after I had been driving for a while too.

Shame on me for not doing a little research on the subject before having the work done. Should have just done it myself.... I tend to be way over the top particular on stuff like this. I don't even like it facing down because I'd be worried a branch or something could get caught & rip it out. I drive off road a lot.

I attached the picture. Sorry for bad lighting. The flanges bolted together on the top of the picture are to where the *** system would start.

Thanks for any input.
Yea that's a terrible spot for the sensor. As said above, deelete the E.G.R and install the probe in the blockoff plates as I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg egt1.jpg (81.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg egt2.jpg (81.2 KB, 45 views)

~2004 F-350 Shorty 6.0 2wd

~2003 Peterbilt 330

~2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed
Old 04-16-2018, 12:34 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Mines in the same spot as posted above.. plate in the manifold.. works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2018, 05:07 AM
General
Member's Gallery

I have mine in the passenger's side up pipe
Old 04-16-2018, 06:40 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm boy View Post
Yea that's a terrible spot for the sensor. As said above, deelete the E.G.R and install the probe in the blockoff plates as I did.
These were the type of pictures I was looking for, thank you.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:43 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Thank you for all the input everyone.

I'm not happy with the shop at all. They had issues when doing my EGR ******, *** ******, & SCT Livewire TS install as well but gave me some reasonable reasons as to why it happened.

I'm going to see what they say when I tell them they did it wrong.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:44 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm boy View Post
Did you just drill & tap the block off plate hole bigger for the SCT probe, or did you get a plate that came like that? Mine has an OEM probe in it right now.

Sorry for not asking in my original quote but I don't know how to edit a post.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:40 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeColt View Post
Did you just drill & tap the block off plate hole bigger for the SCT probe, or did you get a plate that came like that? Mine has an OEM probe in it right now.

Sorry for not asking in my original quote but I don't know how to edit a post.
The probe kit came with an adapter if I recall correctly. Or it was sent with the No limit e.g.r kit.

Either way I didn't have to source it on my own.

~2004 F-350 Shorty 6.0 2wd

~2003 Peterbilt 330

~2002 F-250 4X4 Flatbed
Old 04-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Corporal
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootie View Post
I have mine in the passenger's side up pipe
Is there anyplace to put it pre turbo that would read the temp of both banks combined?