Calling All E4OD experts

Injected79

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have a customers truck that is giving us some problems. Ill try to make this as short as possible.

Truck is a 1996 f-350 7.3 4x4, 209,000 miles truck is meticulous cared for and was completly stock up til about 2 months ago, which at that time we installed a turbo back exhaust, no big deal.

about 1 month ago, customer brought truck over because the transmission had developed leak from the front of the transmission. no other issues other then a pretty serever leak from front pump seal area. He wanted it rebuilt. I pulled the transmission and took it to a local builder who has built a few for us. It was just a mild build, red alto clutches and steels, and upgraded to 6 pinion planetary. I installed the transmission with a mag-hytec pan, and a diesel site torque converter.

Right away noticed it didnt seem to shift correctly, found transmission was starting off in 2nd gear about 80% of the time, if you pull the gear selector to 1st gear it drops directly into 1st, shift it manually to 2nd, shifts right to 2nd gear, go to drive and it shifted as it should, ........to start with,

but now 97% of the time it doesnt want to go into lock up. truck is taching 2400ish at 60 mph.

I watched the MLPS switch with my AE software and it seems to work properly for what i can monitor, as you move through the gears you can watch it go from 12 in park, 10 in Neutral, 8 in drive, if you push the overdrive buttom drops it to 6, 2nd gear shows 4 and 1st gear shows 2.

I pulled up and watched shift solenoids 1, 2 and 3, with AE, and i noticed the shift solenoid 3 never showed to get activated,

I am no ways a transmission expert, just doing basics i can find or think of.

I had taken the truck back to the builder, and he has went through everything he can think of for the last 3 weeks, even to the piont of changing valves bodies with the same issue, he had a test harness to verify transmission works in a certain way with a manual command. if he unground the TC it locked up directly and killed the truck, he did the LED light test, and it never goes out. like the ecm isnt cutting the ground for the convter to lock up.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Injected79

Reaction score
when driving the truck, while watching gear position with an edge cts monitor i have sitting around, i noticed it never shows gear selction of of L or being locked up, just goes to 4th gear. IF you use the OD button it will down shift directly to 3rd gear, push it again, and it goes back to 4th but i have never seen it show Lock up.

On the rare occansion it does lock the converter up, it seems i havent had any thing connected to the truck to see what the ecm command is. but when it locks up, it locks up very solidly, and does not kick in and out until you slow to XX speed to where you would normally expect it down shift or unlock.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Edge CTS does not indicate TC lockup on the OBS trucks.
Not much help with your issues, but did not want that adding to the confusion.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I pulled up and watched shift solenoids 1, 2 and 3, with AE, and i noticed the shift solenoid 3 never showed to get activated,
SS3 is the coast clutch solenoid. Whether it works or not will not affect the gear selection or the lockup. SS3 should only activate with the OD off.

if he unground the TC it locked up directly and killed the truck, he did the LED light test, and it never goes out. like the ecm isnt cutting the ground for the convter to lock up.
That doesn't make any sense.

When the circuit to the torque converter control solenoid is ungrounded the clutch is unlocked. The PCM grounds this circuit to lock the converter.

Are there any codes stored in the PCM?

Injected79

Reaction score
When talking to the builder, he had said the opposite, he told me that the ecm removed ground to lock up.

And we have no codes

Injected79

Reaction score
Agreed, I think he helped us out a few years ago on one also. I was just saying what the builder had told me, not disagree with him

Injected79

Reaction score
Okay, just picked the truck back up from the builder, and I have discovered if you are running say 50 mph, converter unlocked( won't lock in) , but if you quickly manually pull it down to 2nd gear then right back to drive the transmission shifts as it should and locks the converter up. I did this 4 times to verify it wasn't a fluke. Any ideas why.

Thanks again

Injected79

Reaction score
driving the truck today, and the 2nd gear drop back to drive didn't work to get converter to lock up a few times. but after it warmed up a little bit it started to go into lock up again like posted in previous post

Injected79

Reaction score
ok guys i have been mis informing you of what i / the builder thought was going on. still very rarely does it take of in 1st gear,95% of the time or more takes of in 2nd, but what i / the builder thought was converter not locking up is the transmission not shifting to fourth gear, unless like stated in the above post once the transmission is warm, pull it down to second gear quickly and back to drive then it will auctually go into 4th.

as it goes through the gears you can feel the converter lock up in 3rd, and then feel it like it want to shift to fourth but doesnt.

Any ideas