Supercharged 7.3

superpsd

Reaction score
Well my summary is a little different. I gained 1-2 mpg. Reduced smoke on hard acceleration. Best of all I now have a peppy engine that is a joy to drive and I am just getting started. Later things like a T4 turbo, injectors, software, bypass for turbo, and overdriven gears for the blower to spin it faster are on my list. I also have a Banks Monster muffler on the way as I am done with all the racket of a straight pipe.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
Sounds like a ton of work for a very minimal gain imo. Reduced smoke? How much smoke were you possibly making with canned ts tunes and stock sticks? My truck barely puffed on hard acceleration when it was like that. A set of custom tunes and a smaller housing would have yielded the same if not better results. Also based on the info given by Charles and the others I don't see it going much farther even if you upgrade your injectors and go to a t4 setup. Oh well figured since I read the whole thread I would throw my .02 in not that it matters.

superpsd

Reaction score
Tunes are PHP I am looking at minotaur down the road. Before the blower was installed it would emit a steady plume of smoke until the turbo cleared it up. Now it's a light haze. Increasing blower speed would likely clear it up even more.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Tunes are PHP I am looking at minotaur down the road. Before the blower was installed it would emit a steady plume of smoke until the turbo cleared it up. Now it's a light haze. Increasing blower speed would likely clear it up even more.

Then you have some serious issues that you could have fixed with .89.worth of brass donuts from the parts store. And no Im not joking. How a 90cc injector can "emit a plume of smoke" is beyond me. Thats barely enough fuel to create a haze with a couple lbs of boost. Superduties have 60more cc of capacity in STOCK injectors and that is barely enough to get a quick puff on a stock turboed truck. With a simple Garrett gt38r drop in you cant create any haze in trying.

So instead of simply fixing boost leaks, you opted to throw all sorts of gizmodry at the issue? Im getting the gist that the supercharger simply overcame your drive/boostleaks enough to put you back at stock efficiency. In other words 19-20 is doable but not the upper end of.what people can get for fuel economy.

If you put the smallest set of upgraded injectors in your truck, the problems this routing of the induction would become very pronounced. For example, an ac with stock nozzles would overfuel that blower and the turbo.will be trying to suck the guts out of that blower.

Im checking this thread occasionally but Im getting this feeling you've yet to see a responsive turbo and possibly even one working correctly. What you've described to me is what a stock turbo achieves with standard "custom" tunes on an obs that isnt leaking drive or boost. Sorry but I think that is the case.

superpsd

Reaction score
I had no leaks. Before the blower I could peg my 20 lb gauge on the 65hp daily driver tune. Ran fine and powerful but it left a nice little black cloud until the turbo spools up. Stock turbo has minimal play and compressor fins look great. I will still need a bypass so the turbo can suck from atmosphere when the charger cannot supply enough air. That's actually next. I am going to try a simple cheap 3" swing valve. Vacuum to pull it open pressure to close it. If that does not work I have several 3" throttle bodies laying around to build a bypass.

97f350stroker

Reaction score
I have kept up with this thread the whole time but I can admit you guys were way over my head with most of the talk about the blower and what not. However like ty said there is no way you should have plume of smoke with stock injectors and php tunes. I guess I am.just totally missing the point on this whole blower set up, it just doesn't make sense. Also having a snappy 7.3 that gets good mpgs is easily achieved with simple upgrades, especially once you decide to throw bigger Injectors in. Not only can you mess with different housings but also tuning plays a huge roll in how responsive you want your truck to be. I always applaud people doing different things especially with the 7.3 but I just seems you are fighting a losing battle here

bruce

Reaction score
Seems like the most super expensive to keep 90cc AA's from smokin. If you were makin any power it might be cool but all that dinero for like 250hp is odd. I applaud people for comin up with new stuff but this aint one of them

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im not trying to beat on him but 90cc's! :shrug:

How a stock turbo isnt sufficient for that much fuel is waaay beyond me. A obs with a tuner will dyno about 180hp.

superpsd

Reaction score
Well no one has gone this way before and I like building something different. The only way to know what the power is to throw it on a dyno and I might. All in all the blower is working. It is not creating a huge parasitic drag . In fact Eaton says these blowers use less than a half of a hp to spin unloaded. All of the trucks that have used a blower this way needed a bypass that is next. I stilll have some port matching to do yet as the blower discharge on the new unit is larger. Down low in the rpm range where 95 percent of the driving is done I am typically seeing 2-3 psi more than EBP. With some changes this could be even greater.

superpsd

Reaction score
Superpsd, got any pictures of your detroit powered stuff?

Here is a couple. First one is a 453T in a 48 GMC. Second is a 453N with jakes in a 45 Chevy 1 ton. Last is a rare one a 8V53N out of a firetruck.
IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG1244-1_zps52d67d4a.jpg

IMAG1369-1_zpsc8a918af.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
Those are cool!

Hate to say it but you'll most likely dyno lower than a stock turbo only truck simply because you DO have parasitic losses and you're hindering the turbo.

Do you have gauges setup on each stage? What are you seeing?

superpsd

Reaction score
Took it out to some long country roads where I could test it out. Pushed the engine up to 3500. Held pressure on turbo inlet varied to 2-4 psi. Manifold was showing over 15. This was on flat ground unloaded. The old blower could not do that if you held it past 2500 it would go into a slight vaccum. This is also as I stated using half of the capable blower speed range. My pulley ratio puts the blower at 11,000 @ 4,000 rpm. The blower is capable of 19,000 rpm.
Here is a 2.3L TVS map and to remind you my TVS is an aftermarket housing to greatly improve flow. As you can see the TVS is capable of 1400 cfm vs 860 cfm of the old blower.
Compressor%20Map,%20Eaton%20R2300_6.1L%20Plot.gif

superpsd

Reaction score
Going to start ordering parts to build a bypass. Also inquired about overdriven gears for the TVS the cost is beyond what I want to pay. Not to mention my charger is under warranty and I don't want to ship it across country again for who knows how long. I decided to build a double belt drive system. The main belt will drive a idler that will be paired to a larger pulley. To another set of idler pulleys driving the charger. This will allow higher drive ratios with final adjustments being made by the supercharger pulley.

I have been up in the foothills hunting a lot lately and the setup runs strong where it is needed most. Even with air pressure dropping off at the higher altitudes the pressure differential after the blower stays the same. I have also installed a 4" banks monster muffler as I had grown tired of the exhaust drone.

IMAG0575_1_zps8bc5e3aa.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online