Need some help on if i should go bigger injectors

gbiker

Reaction score
Hey all! Im new here. First post. I just read a lot. I recently got a 6.0 because i didnt want to spend 30k on a used 100-150k diesel. well, i did.. lol!!!

when i first got it.
day%20one.jpg

On my way home it overheated and 3 injectors went LOL! so it went to my friends at Arizona Affordable Diesel Techs for a bunch of stuff i will list below. Here is pics of it.
bullet%20proof%205_1.jpg

bullet%20proof%204.jpg
bullet%20proof_1.jpg

bullet%20proof2.jpg

bullet%20proof%204.jpg

I got it back and took it on a little crazy trip to glamis that was the worst trip of my life. But, thats another story. Truck was amazing. At this time the truck had bullet proof egr coolers and stock turbo just all the bullet proofing was done. I got new wheels which i always get.
shooting.jpg

on%20my%20way%20to%20glamis.jpg

quick%20rip%20around.jpg

Then when i got back we did a **** ton more. My dad owns an auto body shop so i had him clean it up because as you could see the guy i got it from lived on a dirt road and didnt take care of it. Here are pictures of the day before i got it. after paint.

new%20paint.jpg

new%20windows%20and%20tint.jpg

and here is the picture of it with my toy hauler. best trip and towing experience i have ever had other than one boot coming off and a little noise when the torq converter was unlocking and locking climbing grades.

toy%20hauler.jpg

So! Now on to what i need help with. Here is the list of stuff i have done. At the time we did the stock injectors i was just going a solid truck nothing crazy. Now I'm wondering if i should of went 155s. I did water/meth to help and i never saw over 1250 egts 190-192 coolent temp and 175 tranny :thumbup: But, I'm not sure if it would be even better with more fuel. Again, just asking not saying i know.

The only thing i have left to do is change the rear end (guy had two different size tires on each side WTF!!) and putt diff cover on. New intake, custom tune, and install the PSP oil pan and go go shift solenoid and derale transmission pan.

here is a list of my build parts:
push rods
18mm dowel w/arp studs
6.0 coolant filter
mishimoto intercooler
mishimoto radiator
mishimoto intake elbow
mishimoto radiator kit
mishimoto intercooler piping kit
100mm bullet proof water pump
bullet proof oil cool heavy duty
7.3 fan clutch
Re-surfaced my heads checked for cracks
8 stock injectors
mbrp exhaust 4"
Power max turbo
EBC rotors pads
mag-hytec diff covers
Snow Kit - water/meth
240amp alt
control unit
air dog II
Warne Hubs
SCT tuner
PSP oil pan,
PSP aluminum valve covers
PSP Billet Aluminum Radiator Cap Cover
PSP 6.0L Coolant Filtration System
PSP 6.0L Aluminum Cowl Wiring Shield
PSP 6.0L Coolant Reroute Kit for Ported Intakes
PSP 6.0L Aluminum Air Deflector
6.0L Power Stroke Aluminum Coolant Reservoir
6.0L Aluminum Oil pan

So, again. I'm just wondering if i should go up in injector size or stay at stock?

Also, Should i do more to the tranny? it didnt get hot?

Thanks!

:fordoval::fordoval:

colo_dually

Reaction score
What is your HP goal? I say that based on a few things. First don't think of that cc rating (i.e.155) as the power changer, the difference is made in the nozzles not the barrel size. So when you decide on your nozzles, then you can make a decision on the barrel size. You can get stock nozzles all the way to 175cc, you'll see that power low but they behave close to stock on the top end based on the shorter PW.

Keep an eye on your coolant temps, those Mishimoto radiators are known to be inefficient when towing.

The 5R110 will hold you till around 550RWHP if you keep it tuned properly. If you start having issues a quality TC would help there. I don't see the need in your build to go farther there.

gbiker

Reaction score
What is your HP goal? I say that based on a few things. First don't think of that cc rating (i.e.155) as the power changer, the difference is made in the nozzles not the barrel size. So when you decide on your nozzles, then you can make a decision on the barrel size. You can get stock nozzles all the way to 175cc, you'll see that power low but they behave close to stock on the top end based on the shorter PW.

Keep an eye on your coolant temps, those Mishimoto radiators are known to be inefficient when towing.

The 5R110 will hold you till around 550RWHP if you keep it tuned properly. If you start having issues a quality TC would help there. I don't see the need in your build to go farther there.

Thank you! To be honest i don't have one. I just want something that makes me smile when its in a performance tune and will tow my 12k toy hauler no issue. What is the better radiator for towing? I was told this is the best one.

Also, what do you think would be a good injector set up for the parts i used?

Finally, i already am hearing a weird noise when my truck starts to lug down. I have the command gear on my tuner up and i hear the noise give it gas it sounds like it shifts however it doesn't and then the noise goes away. Its kind of a grinding noise in the drive line. You think that is TC going? truck has 148 basically on it.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I would get with Rykan at holders and put 190/30s in. The nozzle is small enough you can have a tow tune written that tows awesome, and a street/race tune that just flat out hauls ass. If you already put the power max on, it should keep up ok, but if that is still on the list, contact Charlie with KC Turbos. His stage 2 is an awesome towing turbo, and out flows the powermax.

As for your trans issues, i have no idea...

colo_dually

Reaction score
Thank you! To be honest i don't have one. I just want something that makes me smile when its in a performance tune and will tow my 12k toy hauler no issue. What is the better radiator for towing? I was told this is the best one.

Also, what do you think would be a good injector set up for the parts i used?

Finally, i already am hearing a weird noise when my truck starts to lug down. I have the command gear on my tuner up and i hear the noise give it gas it sounds like it shifts however it doesn't and then the noise goes away. Its kind of a grinding noise in the drive line. You think that is TC going? truck has 148 basically on it.

I'm still running stock injectors, because I simply can't make up my mind how far this build is going to go. My truck has 4.30 gears and stock height/tires and simply hauls on my race files.

Consider the following as rough thumb rules:
Stock injectors ~ support just under 500RWHP, with supporting turbo.
30% overs ~ Mid to upper 500s, with more supporting mods
50% overs ~ around 600, with more air than the Pmax is going to get you and more supporting mods - this is also where the transmission starts needing parts.
Over 75% overs ~ Too many things to consider to set a HP level at this point. Specifics take a lot more research.

I still run stock on the radiator, if you're worried about leaking ends, go with the unit from Bullet Proof Diesel.

For your transmission, might be a TC issue. If you have a monitor, see if you can record some TCC Duty Cycle numbers during the issues. Is it in every gear, or just certain ones?

I would get with Rykan at holders and put 190/30s in. The nozzle is small enough you can have a tow tune written that tows awesome, and a street/race tune that just flat out hauls ass. If you already put the power max on, it should keep up ok, but if that is still on the list, contact Charlie with KC Turbos. His stage 2 is an awesome towing turbo, and out flows the powermax.

190/30s would be a great combination with the Pmax. As mentioned the tow tune would be required, and running stock programming wouldn't do.

I actually built my KC Stage 2 starting with a new Pmax as a foundation. I also threw in a 13-blade turbine wheel. I doubt there is a better towing turbo out there in the 64x88mm class than those from KC.

gbiker

Reaction score
I have all the parts i listed and i forgot the odawg ported intake. I just want to be able to be pulling my 12k trailer and when i go to pass be able to. And then when I'm not towing **** with my friends diesels.

So, the last thing I'm thinking about is injectors and some tranny upgrades.

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
sounds like you have some decisions to make regarding your end goal with the truck. every comment above mine is great advice , and I agree with it all .

heres some of my thought about it all ; you have a lot of supporting mods , definitely a great place to be at when considering injector upgrades. your truck with stock injectors and turbo , will be 425rwhp, with a powermax probably closer to 450. will bigger injectors make your truck cooler temp wise? maybe. each truck acts differently .. they definitely have their own personality. I would go with the 190/30 also if you want to tow and still be a quicker than your dodge friends LOL . you can tow with any injector it just depends on your turbo setup. if you want more power than lets say .. 5/550 you could go with a 205/100 and for example a 363 under an s475 compound setup. realistically that's around 650 ish.

I personally believe you have a trans issue , likely converter . my truck racing towing anything im doing runs around 150* MAX, on a hot day. failure converter will create excess heat , and will lock / unlock. the sound you're hearing under load could be converter but these things like to make noise loading up .. could just be your trucks personality . I wouldn't touch your trans, until it fails on you. then build the thing to take whatever you want to throw at it . if you put money into it now it will just Band-Aid it . let it blow up then fix it.

sorry for the novel

Latest posts

Members online