Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > Aftermarket Super Duty 1999 - Current

Old 12-15-2019, 04:51 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Default 2003 Powerstroke Resurrection Thread

Let me start off by saying this is going to be a long term, SLOW progressing thread. The truck referenced in this thread is my 2003 F-250 Lariat that I bought from the original owner in 2008. I learned a lot, did a lot of stupid stuff, but most of all had a lot of fun along the way. Lets start off with story time... My wife and I got married in April of 2011 and drove away from our wedding in this truck. Come July of 2011 I thought Id sell my toys to put a larger down payment on the house we were purchasing. So I said good bye to the Powerstroke and she went to a new home a couple hours north. Driving out of my driveway that day was the last time I had seen it. Fast forward to September 19, 2019, as I was driving through town, I saw a truck that resembled my old truck sitting on the corner for sale! I immediately circled back around the block and pulled in the parking lot. Upon further inspection, it was indeed my old truck! After talking with the seller, I arranged a time to meet so I could drive it. I told my wife Id love to have it back, but Id need to figure out a way to do so. I got home from work on September 20th and shortly there after, I heard a truck pulling up the driveway. My awesome wife had managed to pull off one heck of a surprise and had the truck delivered directly to our house. So, with that said, I now have my truck back that I sold 8 years ago and hadnt seen since! My goal with this truck is to bring it back from its current state, which isnt the worst, but could definitely be better, as well as to complete some things I wanted to do to it the first time around.

Here is the first time I had seen it in 8 years sitting on the corner:

Then one sitting in my driveway after my wife had surprised me:

One of the owners since I sold it out on these fender flares which will be disappearing soon, but Im pretty sure they are covering up some bad bed rust. The truck also came with some OEM 17s so I threw them on to see how they looked.

Not terrible, but Id still like to find some Platinum 20s for her.

Truck also has a ton of clear coat peel on the hood and roof, so eventually, once I have all the rust free parts Im tracking down, the truck will be repainted.

Again, this is a long term project that will be completed over the course of the next few years as time and funds permit.

Thank you for looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 straight pipe to 6 tip
Old 12-24-2019, 09:36 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

I'm rebuilding a CCLB 07 for my daughter also. Will be fun following you .
Old 01-29-2020, 03:11 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Loaded a tune that came with the truck on an SCT X4 and the truck ran great! Plenty of power, low smoke, just made the truck much more fun to drive. Move forward a couple of days, go out to start the truck and have a super long crank, like almost 60 seconds before it even tries to fire. I returned the truck to stock and the issue persisted. I also now have the oil gauge dropping to zero at idle.

Pulled the filter and put a new Ford filter in as well as replaced the anti-drain back valve at the bottom of the filter housing. No change. Pulled the plug out of the front cover behind the balancer. No debris and the plunger came out freely.

With all of that said, Ive got some more digging/diagnostic work to do to figure this one out. Bought a scan gauge II from Bulletproof to help aid in this, plus Ive always wanted one.

Lastly, pic of truck on jack stands... Sold the 17s last weekend and am planning on picking up a set of OEM Platinum 20s on Saturday.

4 straight pipe to 6 tip
Old 01-29-2020, 05:46 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy07 View Post
Loaded a tune that came with the truck on an SCT X4 and the truck ran great! Plenty of power, low smoke, just made the truck much more fun to drive. Move forward a couple of days, go out to start the truck and have a super long crank, like almost 60 seconds before it even tries to fire. I returned the truck to stock and the issue persisted. I also now have the oil gauge dropping to zero at idle.

Pulled the filter and put a new Ford filter in as well as replaced the anti-drain back valve at the bottom of the filter housing. No change. Pulled the plug out of the front cover behind the balancer. No debris and the plunger came out freely.

With all of that said, I’ve got some more digging/diagnostic work to do to figure this one out. Bought a scan gauge II from Bulletproof to help aid in this, plus I’ve always wanted one.

Lastly, pic of truck on jack stands... Sold the 17’s last weekend and am planning on picking up a set of OEM Platinum 20’s on Saturday.

I take it that this is a 6.0?

If it is, your extended crank/gauge dropping at idle is probably the ball blown out of the side of the hpop.
I’ve seen that multiple times on 03-04 trucks. They have 2-5 psi low pressure oil pressure at idle when that happens and iirc it takes 7-10 psi to trip the low pressure switch for the dash gauge.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:26 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post

If it is, your extended crank/gauge dropping at idle is probably the ball blown out of the side of the hpop.
Ive seen that multiple times on 03-04 trucks. They have 2-5 psi low pressure oil pressure at idle when that happens and iirc it takes 7-10 psi to trip the low pressure switch for the dash gauge.
Thanks for your reply Zeb! Yes this is a 6.0. Im trying to rule out everything before pulling the HPOP, but Im figuring this is the case as well.
4 straight pipe to 6 tip
Old 01-29-2020, 09:16 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post

Ive seen that multiple times on 03-04 trucks. They have 2-5 psi low pressure oil pressure at idle when that happens and iirc it takes 7-10 psi to trip the low pressure switch for the dash gauge.
Damn it zeb, beat me to it.

I agree with him, there aint much on an 03-early 04 that will mess with the hpop system. Mostly pumps, icp sensors, and injectors. With it starting, its most likely not an injectir top o ring blown out, which leads down to the hpop/icp sensor. Id do the sensor and pigtail while youre back there, as it will be a **** load easier. And as zeb had put in a post awhile back, use a late style sensor, as they dont seem to fail as often. At least according to him, I havent tried it yet. Lol.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
04 cclb IDP and TSD tunes, KC Stage 2 hi pressure, S476 atmosphere, Odawg Stage 2 ported intake, RCD Stage 1 cam, RCD lifters and pushrods, RCD 120# valve springs, ARP 625s, o ringed heads, Warren 7mm 250/100 hybrids, Strictly bowl dereete regulated return, Air Dog 2 4g, Snow stage 2 water/meth
Old 01-30-2020, 06:52 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Thanks for the replies guys! I’m hoping to dig into it this weekend again and figure this out.
4 straight pipe to 6 tip
Old 02-06-2020, 01:40 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Remember you will need 2" wheel spacers to run those newer rims.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:35 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnance865 View Post
Remember you will need 2" wheel spacers to run those newer rims.
no he wont.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:55 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Spacers aren’t a requirement, but do make the newer wheels sit nicer on the leaf spring trucks. However, at this point, newer wheels are on hold... went to look at 3 sets and they have all been sold before I could get there. Still in the works, just need to find the right set.
4 straight pipe to 6 tip