Welding Table Build

emanmx11

Reaction score
build photos are being uploaded to photobucket as we speak. I blame any unnatractive weld on my 35 year old welder lol! The welder actually caught on fire halfway through the build. The top plate alone was 407 pounds, and i cut about 8 inches off of 2 sides so it probably weighs in around 300 pounds still. Overall if I had to guess id say it weighed somewhere between 700-900 pounds.

emanmx11

Reaction score
IMG_7478_zpsfbe0936b.jpg

IMG_7479_zps7c7a72c6.jpg

IMG_7480_zps82effe44.jpg

The Base is made of 1/8 2in square tubing. As you can see i had to drop the toolbox frame below the base, to keep the tabletop height low enough and workable. I used 3/8 steel to drop it a total of 5 inches. The angle iron is 2 inch.

IMG_7485_zps64012120.jpg

IMG_7486_zps5ba537a0.jpg

IMG_7487_zps3a67e041.jpg

IMG_7489_zpse256af02.jpg

IMG_7490_zps2b200722.jpg

Base is complete, and i test fitted the tool box to ensure my measurements were correct. I cut plates out of 3/8 plate and welded them on all 4 corners to screw the casters into.
Next are the legs of the table and the top rails.
IMG_7508_zps7b7fa581.jpg

IMG_7509_zpse634068b.jpg

IMG_7513_zps441ed664.jpg
IMG_7517_zpsf38a796d.jpg

IMG_7529_zps294255a5.jpg

The legs are 1/8 2in square tubing, and the top rails are 3/16 2.5in square tubing. I hung the top rails 5 inches over the edge on either side so that i can extend the table further out, and build slide outs to slide out of the rails. Underneath the rails i drilled holes and welded nuts onto them with screw in handles to tighten down the slide out accesories.
Next was the side mount for clamps.
IMG_7538_zps4595df1c.jpg
IMG_7539_zps812796fc.jpg

The clamp rack is made entirely of 1in square tubing. As you can see i also welded in a different style clamp rack on the side across from the other. It is also made of 1in square tubing.
IMG_7540_zps635add42.jpg

Next was the slide out mount for the chop saw.
IMG_7564_zpsfcaf5267.jpg
IMG_7566_zpsf615ab74.jpg

IMG_7567_zps2230fe49.jpg

The slide out chop saw mount is made of 1/8in 2in square tubing. The plate that the chop saw sits on is 3/8 steel. I lowered the chop saw mount itself to be flush with the table to make cutting long material easier.
Next is another clamp mount underneath the top rails.
IMG_7623_zpsd155e96a.jpg

IMG_7624_zps3c81a19f.jpg

This mount is very simple, designed for smaller clamps. it is made of 1in square tubing as well, and I welded small plates on the end of each one to keep the clamps from sliding off.
Next is the side mounts for the vise slide out, and Anvle slide out.
IMG_7627_zps2b4776df.jpg

IMG_7629_zpsb8356b99.jpg
IMG_7644_zpsc10c0379.jpg

The pictures for these aren't that great, but the are 4in long pieces of 2.5in 3/16 square tubing. I drilled holes in the bottom of these and welded nuts for screw in handles as well, to hold them steady while in use. Both the anvle and vise slide outs are interchangable on either side of the table. The plates that they are mounted on are 3/8 steel as well.
Next was time to prep it for paint. I wire wheeled it and rubbed it down with laquer thinner a few times, then sprayed on the primer.
IMG_7647_zpsbec08917.jpg

IMG_7651_zps5b9c7ea2.jpg

IMG_7653_zpse80c1810.jpg

Next was time for paint. I went with a silver hammered metal finish.
IMG_7654_zps39dca5a1.jpg

IMG_7654_zps39dca5a1.jpg

IMG_7664_zps41027054.jpg

Ontop of the table, a portion of it is a thick grate which will be used to plasma cut on.
IMG_7669_zpsbc2afce0.jpg

Since the grate is 1 inch thick, and the top plate is 1/2 inch thick, I welded half inch thick spacers all around the table where the top plate will sit in order to make the grate level with the table top. This way, sliding material across the table when cutting would be a breeze.
After some touch up paint and re installing the tool box, the top plate and grate were ready to be installed.
IMG_7727_zps8017c874.jpg

The finished product! I dont have any build pictures of the slide out on the other side of the table to help support long material when cutting, but i can give the details on it.
IMG_7742_zps0d421a98.jpg
IMG_7743_zpsa0349706.jpg

It is designed to slide out 40 inches, and still have plenty of support. It is made of 2in 3/16 square tubing. I painted the first 13 inches on each arm a bright orange, so that i know where to stop when pulling it out for use. I cant wait to start using this table!

mandkole

Reaction score
those projects are fun. Did you draw it all out first, or kinda make it up as you went? I bet there was a lot of 'oh, this would be cool to...' moments

emanmx11

Reaction score
thanks! i had some rough sketches drawn up, but it was mostly just made up as i went. There were definately alot of add ons that weren't planned origionally.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
The projects you make up as you go always turn out really cool. That table is fantastic, now I really want to put one together. Just need some more room for it. LOL

Barkley

Reaction score
I was searching welding tables and came across your table on Pinterest and it led me here. I noticed you didn't give any credit to the guy who built this one http://youtu.be/VoU5SAyjc-w in which you seem to borrow many of same ideas.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I was searching welding tables and came across your table on Pinterest and it led me here. I noticed you didn't give any credit to the guy who built this one http://youtu.be/VoU5SAyjc-w in which you seem to borrow many of same ideas.
so you joined this site to call a guy out for not giving credit where credit is due for taking ideas from a homemade welding table that is NOT mass produced? if the guy didnt want it to be copied then it shouldn't have been on youtube.. lol..

live life full throttle

Vader's Fury

Reaction score

How do you know that the OP ever saw the video that you linked above?

Sounds more like you are trolling around everywhere looking for idea's to "steal" for your own welding table and just happened to find someone that has similar options on his table as a video that you saw earlier in your searching.

Then you decide that you are going to be a dik and join a forum to call a guy out all based on an assumption that you made.

Definitely makes it easy to see who is an azzhat in the whole situation.

Barkley

Reaction score
How do you know that the OP ever saw the video that you linked above?

Sounds more like you are trolling around everywhere looking for idea's to "steal" for your own welding table and just happened to find someone that has similar options on his table as a video that you saw earlier in your searching.

Then you decide that you are going to be a dik and join a forum to call a guy out all based on an assumption that you made.

Definitely makes it easy to see who is an azzhat in the whole situation.

Well you might be right in that he never saw the video although the coincidences are remarkable. And you are correct that the guy in the video might have taken his ideas from the Internet of course, he admits that in the comments. And you are also correct that I am trolling for ideas to build a welding table. I don't have an issue with using ideas on the Internet but I do have an issue with people taking credit or implying the ideas are original to them. So yes I did join the forum to make the statement. Maybe I overreacted but quite frankly I am tired of the BS of seeing other people taking credit for stuff. So if that makes me an azzhat for standing up for other people so be it. If am wrong, I will be the first to apologize to the OP.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well you might be right in that he never saw the video although the coincidences are remarkable. And you are correct that the guy in the video might have taken his ideas from the Internet of course, he admits that in the comments. And you are also correct that I am trolling for ideas to build a welding table. I don't have an issue with using ideas on the Internet but I do have an issue with people taking credit or implying the ideas are original to them. So yes I did join the forum to make the statement. Maybe I overreacted but quite frankly I am tired of the BS of seeing other people taking credit for stuff. So if that makes me an azzhat for standing up for other people so be it. If am wrong, I will be the first to apologize to the OP.
this is a diesel enthusiasts site. yes we have sub forums for other aspects of our lives but if the sole reason you joined is to be pissy about someone using an idea from someone else then GTFO!!

live life full throttle

Barkley

Reaction score
this is a diesel enthusiasts site. yes we have sub forums for other aspects of our lives but if the sole reason you joined is to be pissy about someone using an idea from someone else then GTFO!!

live life full throttle

That's the irony Linc in that I am doing a Cummins conversion into a 1941 Power Wagon so I am an enthusiast. I also appreciate the irony of you defending a member while I defend the principles of acknowledging other people's work. That said, I think I will take your advice and GTFO.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That's the irony Linc in that I am doing a Cummins conversion into a 1941 Power Wagon so I am an enthusiast. I also appreciate the irony of you defending a member while I defend the principles of acknowledging other people's work. That said, I think I will take your advice and GTFO.
this sint a chummings site either

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online