High Pressure Oil Rail Plug Wont Come Out

eclipsemf

Reaction score
This is the big plug in the head on the passenger side rear. I have tried everything even welding a nut to it but it wont come out dam thing is stubborn. Im trying an air hammer today and if that dont work im just going to pull the motor again

eclipsemf

Reaction score
Yes that is correct. The hole is round and the motor is now out of the truck. I had it out in a little under 3 hours got sick of dealing with it in the truck going to go over the motor full on and make sure every seal is new!

bluedge8

Reaction score
That is the way to do it. did you get it out yet? Like I said, shear torque was not working for me, I started hitting the breaker bar with a 5lb sledge and it finally popped.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I had to weld a socket to one to get it out before.

Luckily I already had the motor out. Sometimes they are pain.

eclipsemf

Reaction score
I didnt get it out yet, it was dark once the motor made it out but now that I have easy access to it Im going to weld a nut and I know she will come out as I can actually see what im welding to get on there good. Thanks everyone for the help! Thankfully I had the motor out in october so it was fairly easy!

cleatus12r

Reaction score
The passenger side would be harder because of the downpipe, but I ran into this problem a few months ago on a guy's pickup. He had just bought it and it leaked oil like crazy from the rear driver's side plug. It was on a 1997, so the plug was pretty easy to get to with a ratchet.....except that the previous owner or mechanic rounded out the drive. I couldn't keep a ratchet or breaker bar in it as it would just twist out. So, in lieu of actually fixing it, the previous guy just smeared RTV on the outside of the plug. What makes people think that will work?

I went to the hardware store and bought a set of pipe clamps for 1/2" pipe and cut to length wherein it would clamp the ratchet into the head of the plug snugly and the front edge used the front plug to clamp against. I had to remove the accessory bracket from the left front of the engine, but that's four bolts, the AC compressor, and the belt.

Attachments

• clamp.jpg
    clamp.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 37

rusty1161

Reaction score
The passenger side would be harder because of the downpipe, but I ran into this problem a few months ago on a guy's pickup. He had just bought it and it leaked oil like crazy from the rear driver's side plug. It was on a 1997, so the plug was pretty easy to get to with a ratchet.....except that the previous owner or mechanic rounded out the drive. I couldn't keep a ratchet or breaker bar in it as it would just twist out. So, in lieu of actually fixing it, the previous guy just smeared RTV on the outside of the plug. What makes people think that will work?

I went to the hardware store and bought a set of pipe clamps for 1/2" pipe and cut to length wherein it would clamp the ratchet into the head of the plug snugly and the front edge used the front plug to clamp against. I had to remove the accessory bracket from the left front of the engine, but that's four bolts, the AC compressor, and the belt.

That is awesome.

Rusty

Latest posts

Members online