steering linkage and joints

jimdawg185

Reaction score
WhenI had my shop going I would never replace anything on the front ends of these without replacing everything. I usually drop he axle off at my local driveline shop and pick it up with new ball joints and wheel bearings, and have them run specs on the diff and replace ujoints and balance the axles. Then I do everything else. It's way overkill, but I learned the hard way one bad part will shorten the life of all the other parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
It did two things well, saved me trouble with failures, and weeded out the people who would complain about everything.

What was the cost for that?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
WhenI had my shop going I would never replace anything on the front ends of these without replacing everything. I usually drop he axle off at my local driveline shop and pick it up with new ball joints and wheel bearings, and have them run specs on the diff and replace ujoints and balance the axles. Then I do everything else. It's way overkill, but I learned the hard way one bad part will shorten the life of all the other parts.

nothing else is wrong though. everything is tight besides the drag link..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Last time I was at the Ford dealer, I think they told me they only have the one line now. Unless they have old stock. I've worked with the parts people at this dealer for a long time, so I have no reason to doubt them. They told me about the difference originally.

Jake

Reaction score
My truck with 70k on it has a bit of play and noise in it. I am looking into replacing all the steering components and see how it goes from there. I thought about the factory stuff, does the new factory stuff have grease zerts on them? I am putting new shocks and steering stabilizer on it, along with new tires Friday.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
My truck with 70k on it has a bit of play and noise in it. I am looking into replacing all the steering components and see how it goes from there. I thought about the factory stuff, does the new factory stuff have grease zerts on them? I am putting new shocks and steering stabilizer on it, along with new tires Friday.
non greaseable

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Just did the drag link on my truck too. She was getting worn out after 90K.
****ty part is, the brand new one i put in has a RCH of back and fourth play. and im not talkin rotation. rock the wheel back and fourth and you can see it hitch and make a pinging sound... wtf.. i went to ford to see if a tech could actually look at it and explain to me why a brand new part does that and he said he would have to pull it into the bay and put it up in the air to propperly check for movement!!! WTF!! are you fuxking kidding me? how the hell are you going to check for play in a joint if it is freee floating and not on the ground where it puts pressure on the components? they just looked at me with a dumb look and the parts guy said, if it wears out again just bring it back and we will swap it.. wtf.. smfh...

Jake

Reaction score
That's where I'm torn going oem or Moog. The last time I put some Moog stuff on the 00, I wasn't really impressed, especially the ball joints where the grease zerts wouldn't clear the ujoints.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

dsmracing1

Reaction score
****ty part is, the brand new one i put in has a RCH of back and fourth play. and im not talkin rotation. rock the wheel back and fourth and you can see it hitch and make a pinging sound... wtf.. i went to ford to see if a tech could actually look at it and explain to me why a brand new part does that and he said he would have to pull it into the bay and put it up in the air to propperly check for movement!!! WTF!! are you fuxking kidding me? how the hell are you going to check for play in a joint if it is freee floating and not on the ground where it puts pressure on the components? they just looked at me with a dumb look and the parts guy said, if it wears out again just bring it back and we will swap it.. wtf.. smfh...

That sucks man, definitely shouldn't be like that!

Jomax

Reaction score
So is there a difference between FoMoCo and Motorcraft ?

Yes. Motorcraft js the cheaper part. FoMoCo is what came on the truck.

Reaction score
I remember when i was a little kid, you used to be able to order FoMoCo or motorcraft.

I guess Ford no longer allows us to do that ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
That's where I'm torn going oem or Moog. The last time I put some Moog stuff on the 00, I wasn't really impressed, especially the ball joints where the grease zerts wouldn't clear the ujoints.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
You could always Put a 90* grease fitting in the upper ball joint.I did that,and it cleared the Universal joint.That was on my'11 f-450.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.