96 f250 runs like crap

ghohouston

Reaction score
Does your tank selector valve work? I had mine get stuck between positions. Truck would idle all day long, but when you drove, it would buck and die. Took me a minute to figure out what was happening. 7.3's will run with little fuel pressure.

superpsd

Reaction score
If you have an android device you can have the tools for cheap. I use Torque Pro and Car Gauge Pro. The torque app will data log and Car Gauge is great for pulling DTCs and running buzz and cct test. Much cheaper than AE.

sootie

Reaction score
I've got a hfcm from a 6.0 and a 6.7 if you want to upgrade...

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
If you have an android device you can have the tools for cheap. I use Torque Pro and Car Gauge Pro. The torque app will data log and Car Gauge is great for pulling DTCs and running buzz and cct test. Much cheaper than AE.

Alright buddy. Explain this a little better, please. I just ordered the torque pro Bluetooth obd2 adapter. Should I download the torque pro app, or the car gauge pro app? Or both?

Thabks

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
So I got the obd2 adapter in the mail. Downloaded both apps. No matter whay I do, it says will not connect to cry.

So I researched that... everyone said check all fuses... unplug fuel bowl heater etc... nothing works.

superpsd

Reaction score
Did you purchase an adapter that will communicate with the PWM J1850 Protocol? Some of the low end adapters will not work. I personally use the OBDlink LX.

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
Did you purchase an adapter that will communicate with the PWM J1850 Protocol? Some of the low end adapters will not work. I personally use the OBDlink LX.

Well shoot. I ordered pretty much the only one that doesn't have that protocol.

I just ordered another one that a bunch of people use on YouTube and show how to use

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
This is the one I got

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170719-194411.jpg
    Screenshot_20170719-194411.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 62

rrchlin

Reaction score
My truck ran great 5 weeks ago until at 40mph it would just lose all the boost and torque. it would get better after floating up to 50 and honestly damn good enough for a DD. Still idles fine. But I can't win a race no more. The torque curve is OFF. And so something's off.

I grabbed a fuel filter and the old one was black. I changed it 4 months ago probably when I cleaned the FPR and lost its screen. The filter had no effect on it. Same with new gas tank.

I was looking into all the $150 sensors too. I have a used HPOP I bought. All the tools are $150 gadgets too.

ghohouston

Reaction score
My truck ran great 5 weeks ago until at 40mph it would just lose all the boost and torque. it would get better after floating up to 50 and honestly damn good enough for a DD. Still idles fine. But I can't win a race no more. The torque curve is OFF. And so something's off.

I grabbed a fuel filter and the old one was black. I changed it 4 months ago probably when I cleaned the FPR and lost its screen. The filter had no effect on it. Same with new gas tank.

I was looking into all the $150 sensors too. I have a used HPOP I bought. All the tools are $150 gadgets too.

Is your fuel black too? Could be bleeding off icp from injector o rings. It pushes fuel into the oil.

rrchlin

Reaction score
Did you check fuel pressure?

The fuel is not black but I will check again. And I haven't tested fuel pressure. I put my guage on the only schrader valve I saw and did not get a reading. A quick search suggests it may be clogged. Are there 2 schrader valves?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Not that im aware of. The pump could have chit the bed, and you are basically siphoning enough to run, or it could be plugged senders, does it do it on both tanks? Another would be the tank selector valve getting stuck and causing goofy things.

rrchlin

Reaction score
Going to get on this soon today to further this thread! Truck is at my brothers ATM. Driving around the ol' 4.9 I6 now.

It does it on both tanks. Still gets 16-17mpg. I used to get more like 18mpg but I drive it harder now I think so I haven't noticed a real MPG loss. And I still drive 80+ miles a day and break the tires loose at least once a day. If I sold the truck to someone, they would never know the power loss. But they probably would feel the power loss when it shifts at something like 40mph and loses all its boost and slowly gets it back when at 50mph or so.

Gonna get on it today and get back to you guys with some new info (check fuel filter and try fuel pressure) to avoid more posts... whining how my truck can't race no more haha.

Was planning on getting a $100 HPOP guage from Riff Raff Diesel. Someone talk me in it real fast! I have a used Terminator 500 pump that I bought after whooping ass all weekend in the truck and on the dirt bike. I was thinking a 17 degree pump would allow me to get enough fuel to flip a CEL light. Am I right in this thinking if my fuel system was all up to spec?

rrchlin

Reaction score
Not that im aware of. The pump could have chit the bed, and you are basically siphoning enough to run, or it could be plugged senders, does it do it on both tanks? Another would be the tank selector valve getting stuck and causing goofy things.

I pressed on the schrader and got what I thought to be a good stream. Hooked up the guage and didn't get a reading. Unhooked the guage part and tested the port.. I got a "put put" stream.. still 0 PSI. Are these trucks beast enough to run with 0 psi!? haha

Unfortunately I couldn't test the front tank because I removed it and bought a new one but haven't put it in. I also forgot to check the fuel filter again for black oil.

EDIT: I tested with 2 different HF fuel guages

Latest posts

Members online