T4 - SXE Stock Injectors

superpsd

Reaction score
They originally said there would be three different drop in sizes? I think including a 369 comparable. All were said to be ball bearing? It is interesting however it sounds like major retooling as they would need to have completely different turbine and compressor wheels machined for the reverse rotation of a stock design. Different drop in options are nice to have but I rather have a T4 setup. So much more options and easier to work on. T4 is still hard to beat especially if one needs to replace the up pipes.

Last edited:

The Brad

Reaction score
That's interesteing a drop in? Do you have any of the ins and outs how they're going about that?

Take a look at their site. They redesigned the KC38R to be more like the 366sxe and there's a 369 and a 364.5 that'll "hopefully be released at the end of the year".

The Brad

Reaction score
It'll be the same thing . A stock replacement with a 364.5 comp wheel I'm assuming. Better but still not as good as the actual borg.

That's why I'd love to test it and compare. It may be better than any other drop in, but a back to back comparison with a BW is the only real way to tell. But you have to give them credit for trying to innovate.

Swaan

Reaction score
Ok , after a little reading on kc turbos Facebook page.
Looks like they perty much took all of borgs design and with some fancy machining made it all work into the stock Garrett dimentions. Same 74mm turbine and everything.

So having said that, as long as they prove them selves reliable they could have a great option here for the people who want to keep there stock setup. Kudos to KC for thinking outside the box on this one!

Up untill now no one has done that and I just assumed it was just another flavor of the stock replacement. I'd like to think there 364.5 would be a great performer for the daily driver tow pigs out there.

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Also I just went to the KC Facebook page. They recently posted pictures and specifications of the new 366 drop in.

Last edited:

Swaan

Reaction score
Hahaha, see the pics of the turbine wheels.
Now you can see why the borgs do so well.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Hahaha, see the pics of the turbine wheels.
Now you can see why the borgs do so well.
Way more surface area to drive the compressor. I can't wait till the 364.5 comes out. With the dual BB setup, it should light super fast even with stock injectors.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Reading their description of their compressor wheel: thicker, heavier, etc. I hope the ball bearing help offsets spool up characteristics compared to the light FMW compressor that comes in the sxe, and I believe helps them come on so fast. Their description says the turbine is identical aside from reverse rotation. So that'd be my only quarrel. I know my 66sxe comes on fast. And my videos have shown that. Much faster than the 38R, so I hope the same for this.

Should be a great drop in option though.

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
Everyone so ready to spend your money!

Couple questions. What truck do you have? OBS? SD?

What kind of weight are you towing?

I dont know many people having EGT issues with stock injectors. Is everything running correctly?

38R may be old school but it plain works. Cant argue that....

10K behind me and I pull WA state passes at 70 in 6th gear on my hottest tune. Thats leaving plenty of room to drop a gear if needed. Im usually running right at 1200 EGT holding steady speed.

If your dead set on T4 and wont go larger than 160's. 364.5/74/.91 would work great. 363 might be better for towing, spool up a tad quicker. Havent seen much real world info on this one yet.

That's not possible,all the new guys said 38r turbos don't work.

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
That's why I'd love to test it and compare. It may be better than any other drop in, but a back to back comparison with a BW is the only real way to tell. But you have to give them credit for trying to innovate.

Agreed. It's incredibly thoughtful of them to do but might as well go to a t4 setup at this point.

Michael Dimock

Reaction score
I have 160/30 injectors and bought a 362sxe with a .91 housing/68 turbine. Had it on for about 8k miles. Spools great and can produce 5lbs of boost at 1200rpm but it is too small on the turbine side for a 7.3 with that size housing. If i'm towing up a moderate grade or accelerating, the EGT's are only a few hundred degrees higher than cruising on the flat. Stock turbo would run around 5-600 degrees and i'm at 6-700 degrees now. A 1.0 or 1.1 housing would lower my back pressure and not decrease spool too much, but I haven't swapped them out.

Towing up the grades around here I can't break 1150 degrees at 15-18K GVW. At WOT in my DP Tuner's 80 Eco tune I can hit 40 psi which I know is driving the back pressure way high. Will be going with a 364.5/73/.91 or 1.0 ball bearing version next when KC comes out with them. The 68 turbine will work great on a 5.9, 6.0, and 6.4 but the 73 turbine is better suited for the 7.3 as others have stated IMO.

Swaan

Reaction score
Exactly why I keep recomening the 74 turbine, too many cubes with the big 7.3. As said the 68 is more a Cummins or 6.0 thing.

Swaan

Reaction score
I though I read somewhere that yours is a 68?!

Yes correct.

Mine is a 68 because when I had mine bulit the new sxe line was not out yet and the older 74mm turbine design was a dog. I know because I had a old s366 before my 364.5.
So I know how they both perform.

If I was to put a different turbo on now it would be with the new 74mm turbine. And that's what I've been recomending ever since.

superpsd

Reaction score
Yup that's why these turbo work so good. They let the engine exhale without sacrificing response. Granted the entire setup from gearing to tuning needs to be considered but a good flowing quick responding turbo really makes 7.3 a different animal. Irate says the 369 will spool as fast as 38R yet it flows a shot ton more air.

Last edited:

LakeBum

Reaction score
I have 160/30 injectors and bought a 362sxe with a .91 housing/68 turbine. Had it on for about 8k miles. Spools great and can produce 5lbs of boost at 1200rpm but it is too small on the turbine side for a 7.3 with that size housing. If i'm towing up a moderate grade or accelerating, the EGT's are only a few hundred degrees higher than cruising on the flat. Stock turbo would run around 5-600 degrees and i'm at 6-700 degrees now. A 1.0 or 1.1 housing would lower my back pressure and not decrease spool too much, but I haven't swapped them out.

Towing up the grades around here I can't break 1150 degrees at 15-18K GVW. At WOT in my DP Tuner's 80 Eco tune I can hit 40 psi which I know is driving the back pressure way high. Will be going with a 364.5/73/.91 or 1.0 ball bearing version next when KC comes out with them. The 68 turbine will work great on a 5.9, 6.0, and 6.4 but the 73 turbine is better suited for the 7.3 as others have stated IMO.

Sounds like lots of different combinations of the SXE turbos work with great results. It also seems like now a days the 74mm is the preferred wheel for the 7.3 regardless of compressor size?

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
Yes correct.

Mine is a 68 because when I had mine bulit the new sxe line was not out yet and the older 74mm turbine design was a dog. I know because I had a old s366 before my 364.5.
So I know how they both perform.

If I was to put a different turbo on now it would be with the new 74mm turbine. And that's what I've been recomending ever since.

I can agree with that. I think the 364.5, 366, and 369 sxe work so well because the turbine side. Im tempted to run a 369sxe but i will see how this old charger works with headwork first.

freddie

Reaction score
Not sure what the OP has as far as his truck, but what do you guys think about an OBS with stock AA codes and a T4? 362SXE? Considering a T4 for my dad's 7.3 to replace the leaky up-pipe system..

TitoBandito78

Reaction score
Im not saying no but to me the displacement of these motors and a 362sxe isnt a good idea. I dont see why a 364.5 wouldnt work.

Latest posts

Members online