5R110W issue

Mcdonald22

Reaction score
08 f-250 6.4 build date 05/07 on sticker If I use the tow/haul mode the truck will do fine until I come to a stop then it will shift through 2nd gear but will not shift into 3rd then will go neutral throws a wrench shifts and works fine after that but when stopping and taking off again it seems to not be going into low gear maybe just 2nd and codes thrown are P0771 shift solenoid E performance or stuck off and code P2704 Transmisson friction element E apply time range/performance. I ordered a reman sspc-e solenoid(shift solenoid E low/reverse clutch) changed fluid (mercron LV) and filters and it still happens and now anytime I put in reverse there is a shutter before it takes gear which did not happen before I changed solenoids any thoughts? It does not have a shifting issue or throw codes unless tow/haul is on.

Lipka101

Reaction score
08 f-250 6.4 build date 05/07 on sticker If I use the tow/haul mode the truck will do fine until I come to a stop then it will shift through 2nd gear but will not shift into 3rd then will go neutral throws a wrench shifts and works fine after that but when stopping and taking off again it seems to not be going into low gear maybe just 2nd and codes thrown are P0771 shift solenoid E performance or stuck off and code P2704 Transmisson friction element E apply time range/performance. I ordered a reman sspc-e solenoid(shift solenoid E low/reverse clutch) changed fluid (mercron LV) and filters and it still happens and now anytime I put in reverse there is a shutter before it takes gear which did not happen before I changed solenoids any thoughts? It does not have a shifting issue or throw codes unless tow/haul is on.

How did the fluid look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mcdonald22

Reaction score
It didn’t look bad or burnt didn’t smell burnt either nothing bad was in the pan or on the magnet

Lipka101

Reaction score
It didn’t look bad or burnt didn’t smell burnt either nothing bad was in the pan or on the magnet

Start by checking line pressure in all gears. A shudder usually means a clutch is slipping. Slipping happens from loss of fluid pressure. Maybe it’s just a solenoid issue but they rarely just go bad, typically they stick from excessive clutch material. Since the fluid is clean you may not have done too much damage that it needs rebuilt but I wouldn’t drive it much until you’ve found the problem.

Mcdonald22

Reaction score
I have no way of checking line pressure in gear. one would think since the error code still persists that the refurbished solenoid isn't working properly especially since now a new symptom occurred after the install of the solenoid that was not there before. Also these codes can be associated with a failing valve body so am seriously considering changing the entire valve body with a new one that has new solenoids as well anyone else done this or heard of someone?

Lipka101

Reaction score
I have no way of checking line pressure in gear. one would think since the error code still persists that the refurbished solenoid isn't working properly especially since now a new symptom occurred after the install of the solenoid that was not there before. Also these codes can be associated with a failing valve body so am seriously considering changing the entire valve body with a new one that has new solenoids as well anyone else done this or heard of someone?

Why can’t you check line pressure? All you need is a pressure gauge with a hose long enough to reach to drivers window so you see while driving. These transmissions don’t really have a “valve body”. The only valves are in the pump and in the electric solenoids. I’m not saying there couldn’t be a leak on the solenoid body or a bad solenoid but there is no valve body to fail. It wouldn’t hurt to swap the whole assembly.

Mcdonald22

Reaction score
I understand its not a regular valve body it has a series of seven solenoids used for electronic shifting so a solenoid body i am just wondering if there is possibly an issue inside the body I have never cracked one open so have no idea. at this moment I have no way of setting up to check line pressure i am out of state in bfe wyoming working with the truck and no not have a way of getting what i need at the moment.

Latest posts

Members online