Keeps dying, no DTC's.

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
Trying to diagnose a hard start and die issue. 08 job 3 died the other night, and wouldn't restart. Eventually got into a sequence of run for 30 seconds or so, die, and then have a hard time restarting for a couple minutes. The low oil pressure light (oil can) was on the dash when it would die or not restart. Thinking it might have been the switch I replaced it and still no improvement. No dtcs. Where should I look next? Failed oil pump? Fuel issue?

sootie

Reaction score
You need to check low pressure fuel, as well as rail pressure commanded vs actual.

IIRC, oil pressure can be read through obd on those as well.

Also check cam and crank sync

webb06

Reaction score
Check rail pressure. Is there plenty of fuel in the tank? Had a truck towed in last week with 1/4 tank of fuel but the screen was broken off the bottom of the sending unit and it has sucked up some air.

Check accelerator pedal too. There was a thread awhile back about something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Hoooooly ****!

What does the throttle pedal position read koeo?

Connor M

Reaction score
You need to check low pressure fuel, as well as rail pressure commanded vs actual.

IIRC, oil pressure can be read through obd on those as well.

Also check cam and crank sync

Check rail pressure. Is there plenty of fuel in the tank? Had a truck towed in last week with 1/4 tank of fuel but the screen was broken off the bottom of the sending unit and it has sucked up some air.

Check accelerator pedal too. There was a thread awhile back about something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoooooly ****!

What does the throttle pedal position read koeo?

IDK how I missed all the thread replies.
I ended up replacing the oil pressure sensor, and it still wouldn't work. I'd been chasing oil because of the oil can light on the dash

Eventually I was checking fuel, was getting fuel to the bowl, reading fine via obd, and I was going to get an adapter to get my fuel pressure to fit the valve. For ****s I went to check the frame fuel filter and the cap was in by about 2 threads. IDK if it worked itself back or what because I replaced it when I rebuilt the engine. Tightened it up and it ran fine, stayed running, and has been fine since.

Very d'oh! moment.

Connor M

Reaction score
One day hopefully I'll be able to give more to this forum than I take

jordysoso

Reaction score
Had this same issue. My fuel rail pressure with key on was "60" on my nDash. Haven't been home to check the filter housing for this fix. Been cold in Ohio, died on the highway but my battery light came on. Could batteries, alternator, fuel gelling, or OP issue be the culprit?

PS sorry for the threadjacking

Connor M

Reaction score
Any of the above, or something else, hard to say without seeing it. Fuel would be my first assumption, then electrical.

I thought I was having a fueling issue because my truck died a week ago but was fine after a fillup. Chalked it up to bad fuel.

Died again yesterday multiple times. Fuel filters where meh but I replaced them anyways today and then dropped the tank.
The strainer had been smashed to bits and larger pieces of plastic were being sucked onto the pickup or into it and choking it out.

Some weird stuff can cause issues.

jordysoso

Reaction score
Once the temperature got warm it fired up no problem. Used diesel 911 and diesel fuel supplement in the tank. I haven't filled up since I was in WV in early November and I believe they still had #2 diesel in the tanks. Put a fresh tank of fuel in it, batteries tested at 12.2v off and 14.4v running. All in all I think it was fuel. If it was a strainer I'd hate to empty 40gal of fuel out of my tank....

Connor M

Reaction score
Once the temperature got warm it fired up no problem. Used diesel 911 and diesel fuel supplement in the tank. I haven't filled up since I was in WV in early November and I believe they still had #2 diesel in the tanks. Put a fresh tank of fuel in it, batteries tested at 12.2v off and 14.4v running. All in all I think it was fuel. If it was a strainer I'd hate to empty 40gal of fuel out of my tank....

Yeah I don’t think it would be the strainer, that would be weird.

I kept all my fuel, I dropped the tank with a transmission jack, pulled it out, and siphoned all the fuel into cans/buckets with a transfer pump. I strained out the pieces.

Latest posts

Members online