Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 6.0 Tech

Old 08-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Default 5R110 No forward or reverse gears after install

Seeking help and advice from the collective PSA think tank.
Just before Memorial Day weekend the direct clutches in my trans finally decided they had had enough. I ordered Warrens Comp Plus kit and a PI triple disk converter and dropped my trans and parts off to a local to me trans builder. After a little wait time my trans was finished and ready for install. Along with my kit, my builder also installed a new pump and center support.
I set the converter in the trans and with the help of a buddy we reinstalled my trans. Assembly went smooth with no hang ups or issues. Filled it up with Motorcraft Merlin LV and proceeded to let it warm up before taking it out for a test drive.
Managed to make it a total of 12 miles before I lost all gears. No movement in and forward gears and no movement in reverse. While waiting for my buddies to come to my rescue I shifted into reverse and had no throttle pedal at all. Completely dead. Park, neutral, drive and 3-1 I have throttle but no movement.
Brought it back to the shop and hooked up AE to pull codes and check things out.
Shows codes for shift solenoid D and Direct clutches performance. Cleared them and fired it up. Still nothing.
Decided I would give a new Direct solenoid in as well as a line pressure solenoid as a precaution. Upon restart nothing has changed. No new codes come up. It has also developed a leak originating from the front pump area. Attached is a video of what I'm talking about. I have access to Auto Engenuity for any extra info that might be needed. Does anyone have any insight as to what it could be?

https://youtu.be/D8fuWAgWOWE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2017, 07:30 PM
General
Member's Gallery

I believe the fluid should be mercon sp....

Midwest Diesel & Auto...Gear Head Automotive Performance...No Limit Fabrication...Barder Turbo Service...PMF Suspension...
Old 08-12-2017, 07:40 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

MERCON LV is fine.

Put a pressure gauge in the test port on the driver's side of the trans. It's a 1/8" NPT thread. You need a 0-350 PSI range. What pressures does it have in each position, PRND321?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 08-12-2017, 08:12 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

We're in the process of rounding one up tonight. If not I'll have to go pick one up tomorrow morning.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

How much clearance did you have between the converter and flexplate before you installed converter bolts?
Old 08-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathannialD View Post
How much clearance did you have between the converter and flexplate before you installed converter bolts?

We had about an eighth of an inch between the 2. It was enough to freely spin it to align the bolts.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:21 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

I feel I should add that when draining the fluid it is still bright red and clean. There is no metal or excessive clutch material in the fluid.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:15 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Sounds like the converter wasn't seated properly

Midwest Diesel & Auto...Gear Head Automotive Performance...No Limit Fabrication...Barder Turbo Service...PMF Suspension...
Old 08-26-2017, 08:43 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Finally got a line pressure gauge on the truck this week. 0psi in all gears at idle and WOT.
Still think the converter wasn't seated properly sootie? Or could the front pump have decided to take a chit.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:11 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoozer View Post
Finally got a line pressure gauge on the truck this week. 0psi in all gears at idle and WOT.
Still think the converter wasn't seated properly sootie? Or could the front pump have decided to take a chit.

Sounds like it wasn't seated properly. The converter is what drives the pump. Pull the trans and converter you will see the converter all chewed up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk