2011 A/C issues

NEVRNF

Reaction score
My truck just started having this issue. I had to replace the A/C Compressor and Condenser over the winter as the Compressor clutch locked up and it had damage to the condenser from getting the wrong dryer. I also replaced the Expansion valve as I got a kit that contained everything. Correct charge of Freon and dye added using a machine not cans. A/C works fantastic until it sits during the day at work. Turn it on and the compressor works and the fan locks up. Air out the vent is like 80*. I put my gauge set on it and it shows 30# low side and 200# high. If I wait until the sun goes down and the temp drops into the mid 80's same pressures but 45* vent temperature. It's been a long time since I did A/C work and most of my Experience was orifice tube based vehicles. Neve had much experience with an Expansion valve. Is it possible I have a bad valve?

gotchadollar

Reaction score
I’m having an ac issue as well, I lost my trans and the minute it went my ac straight to hot air, replaced the trans, recharged ac with machine, truck blows hot at idle, ice cold while driving. Don’t mean to invade your post but having ac issues as well

NEVRNF

Reaction score
Fan is engaging. Found my original expansion valve. Going to evac the system and swap it.

Smokun

Reaction score
I don’t know if this may help or not to anyone but I have seen the evap temp sensors going bad a lot on these. I don’t do Evaps without replacing sensor nowadays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smokun

Reaction score
Your high and low side pressures would be helpful as well. When it is working properly, and then when it’s not working properly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

F150orelse

Reaction score
My a/c on my 2011 just went out. After I just did a 1700 mile road trip I get in it after sitting 3 weeks it’s blowing hot, it did stop blowing cold for about 20 minutes during the road trip. Compressor isn’t kicking on but I had knee surgery 4 weeks ago so I can’t diagnose it for another few weeks.

Ciras

Reaction score
I’m having an ac issue as well, I lost my trans and the minute it went my ac straight to hot air, replaced the trans, recharged ac with machine, truck blows hot at idle, ice cold while driving. Don’t mean to invade your post but having ac issues as well

Make sure the condenser is clean.

Check the system pressures. An undercharged system can display this behavior.

Ciras

Reaction score
My a/c on my 2011 just went out. After I just did a 1700 mile road trip I get in it after sitting 3 weeks it’s blowing hot, it did stop blowing cold for about 20 minutes during the road trip. Compressor isn’t kicking on but I had knee surgery 4 weeks ago so I can’t diagnose it for another few weeks.

You may have a refrigerant leak; likely the evap as it is a common failure on MY11 and 12. The system will not attempt to engage the compressor unless there is a minimum amount of pressure.

You'll need to confirm that the compressor works, the clutch is functional and the gap is correct, but first as with any A/C issue...determine the high and low side pressures.

gotchadollar

Reaction score
Mine was my fan clutch, I could hold it and spin it backwards while the truck was running. When the truck was off I could spin it 1 or 2 rotations freely. The good fan clutch spun a 1/4 turn

F150orelse

Reaction score
You may have a refrigerant leak; likely the evap as it is a common failure on MY11 and 12. The system will not attempt to engage the compressor unless there is a minimum amount of pressure.

You'll need to confirm that the compressor works, the clutch is functional and the gap is correct, but first as with any A/C issue...determine the high and low side pressures.

I’ll be checking that all for sure when I get back to walking.

Latest posts

Members online