Vibration in Motor

doctorsmack03

Reaction score
2012 F250 4x4 CCLB 48k miles all stock

Here is some basic info on a possibly related item...

I had heard a weird ticking noise on top of the engine after driving multiple days. So I did some research and tracked it down to air in the fuel line. So I went under the truck with the key cycled on and could hear air bleeding through. I also found the connector at the base of the frame mounted fuel filter unplugged. So I decided to drop the filter and check the o ring. The filter was really hard to get off. The o ring was dry as a bone so I think the dealer's mechanic that did the fuel filter change forgot to do the filter change. I think that any tech would have unplugged the filter base, changed the filter and immediately plugged it back in. Instead I think he unplugged the filter base, couldn't loosen the filter and either got distracted or simply forgot to actually change the filter. I may be wrong, but why else would the connector be unplugged? So I bought new motorcraft filters for piece of mind and installed them. No more buzzing and no more air in the fuel. Before I replaced the fuel filters, I had heard a fan belt squeal noise while sitting in a parking lot after a 45 mile drive. I revved the truck slightly and the noise didn't get louder with the rpm's so I assumed it was somebody else's piece of crap car so I just shut my truck off. When I shut it off, the squeal stopped so it was me. When I started it 5 minutes later it wasn't squealing anymore. 20 miles later I was home and still no squeal.

The real problem is that my truck has suddenly developed a vibration or drone at idle until about 750 rpm. I can hear it in the cab and in the engine bay. It sounds like a downpipe resting against the firewall, but I still have factory exhaust and the downpipe is free and clear from the body. It doesn't matter whether I am in drive sitting at a stop light or in park warming up. The truck is running great and the dealer says they can't find a problem. The tech says it may be a pulley bearing getting ready to go, but the pulleys aren't under warranty and he says it isn't bad enough to identify yet. As soon as you idle up it disappears, but does anyone have any suggestions on where to look. To me it doesn't seem like a pulley bearing going bad, but who knows. You can feel the vibration by touching the top of the motor, exhaust, etc.

Do these issues sound familiar to anyone else? I haven't heard too many 6.7 problems, but with all of these electronic parts I'm sure there are some issues out there.

Here is a link to a YouTube video. It was hard to hear or feel in the video, but I figured I might as well include it just in case...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PGMGOFn-bpI

Thanks

doctorsmack03

Reaction score
Today I noticed that the vibration is obvious while cruising at about 65 mph and 1500 RPM, turbo psi doesn't seem to matter. If you let off it goes away, if you keep it right at 1500 you can feel it vibrate in your feet. It feels like a driveline vibration, but obviously it's not since it happened and idle in park.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
Today I noticed that the vibration is obvious while cruising at about 65 mph and 1500 RPM, turbo psi doesn't seem to matter. If you let off it goes away, if you keep it right at 1500 you can feel it vibrate in your feet. It feels like a driveline vibration, but obviously it's not since it happened and idle in park.
Maybe it was your loose wheel vibrating?The one that came off?

doctorsmack03

Reaction score
Yeah, I believe you are correct, but it doesn't account for the idle vibration in the original post obviously. It looks like the wheel was lug centric like somebody posted in the other thread. The funny thing is the guy that owned this truck and trailer says he's done 15 local trips and one cross country tour on these wheels and tires. It's hard to say for sure, but I think the weight of the trailer sheared the studs off instantly, but they may have been cracked before and slowly got worse until the wheel launched off.

doctorsmack03

Reaction score
And this is what happens when you are chasing a weird problem. I took floorboard vibration as part of the engine vibration and ignored it. $3500 lesson learned

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.