Why does my truck "Roll Coal"...

The_Greenhorn

Reaction score
So va-jj is person... and not a vagina? and are you being serious about the trip to MPD?

I also think I should be let in on who this va-jj guy is, seeing how ive been horribly mistaken for what seems to be a pretty famous douche haha.

swinky

Reaction score
haha yes those thoughts crossed my mind.
Do you have any sort of handheld tuner?

Really if you want you could just run to the AutoZone and pick up a "scan gauge 2" if you monitor some different things it will be easy for us to tell if your truck is tuned.

And I apologize for the va-jj mistake. If you hang around long enough you'll get where we were going with it.

m j

Reaction score
Do you have any sort of handheld tuner?

Really if you want you could just run to the AutoZone and pick up a "scan gauge 2" if you monitor some different things it will be easy for us to tell if your truck is tuned.

And I apologize for the va-jj mistake. If you hang around long enough you'll get where we were going with it.

he says he has torque and a bluetooth OBD reader, it will do more then scangauge 2.

The_Greenhorn

Reaction score
hahaha its all good, i tried to google "va-jj powerstrokearmy" or something along those lines and a couple of threads came up in regards to him and his work so i think i get the gist of it. Although im not to sure where the confusion came but im glad all of that is over!

Anywaaaays, as for the whole scanner thing I have the ELM327, not sure the version though, but I set it up to read EOT, ECT, Trans Temp, Exhaust Temp, and Boost.

Also, like a dumb newb, i ran into long start issues because I tried to start my truck without letting the injectors do there thing completely after my truck sat for a week in 30+/- weather and thought i had a failing HPOP. So i also added FICM volts, ICP PSI, and IPR load percentage to it to.

I have been reading, and studying, and searching a lot these past days so I'm slowly but surely getting up to speed on diesel components and what to look for. Oh and here are the readings i get for the fuel related components:
FICM: 48v
ICP: 800psi at idle
IPR: 23-27%

Should there be other things I should be looking at to determine tunes or Injectors?

The_Greenhorn

Reaction score
okay cool ill check those as soon as i get my plates and registration. ill get back to you guys with what i find when i do. thanks for all the input.

johnp115

Reaction score
If you're looking for signs of failing HPOP or internal oil system leaks (will cause long starts) also monitor the ICP when CRANKING. Needs to be 600-700+ IIRC.

Welcome to PSA, best forum to stick around on, wealth of knowledge on this site (just a little scarred from some serious trolls) lol