03 turbo 06 truck laggy

Coposrv

Reaction score
Just swapped to an 03 turbo on my truck. Stock tuning in the truck and its pretty laggy. I had the batteries disconnected for a few days and put it all back together today. I drove it and at first the tranny didn't want to down shift and it would take noticeably longer to spool the 03 turbo. As I drove more it seemed to get better. Is this normal? I talked to innovative tuning today I think I will have them write me a tune to help it out and make a little more power with some economy. So those of you with 03 turbo swaps is this normal?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Are you SURE you got the y pipe mated all the way flush with the turbo? I just put an 03 turbo on my moms 2005; excursion, and it worked great, its bone stock minus 4" exhaust

Coposrv

Reaction score
I'm really sure it's in properly. I actually had it in twice. I wasn't happy with the fit and I realized it was getting caught on the large clamp holding the exhaust housing together. I removed the turbo and adjusted the large clamp. After that it went in perfectly. It made a fairly tight seal to the up pipes with out much hassle. Once it was in everything lined up great. Upon start up it made a high pitch squeal for a 0.1 of a second and went away. Every thing seemed normal after wards. No leaks, then I went for a test drive. The more I drive it the better it feels. There is still just a slight hesitation after it makes about 10 lbs then its all good to 22-24 ish on the stock boost gauge. The turbo is still very quiet at idle. Quieter than the stock 06 but wakes right up with just a hint of throttle.

Coposrv

Reaction score
When I bought it in November I disassembled it and checked it out. The previous owner cleaned it and used antisieze. It seemed to move freely. That was 6 months ago though.

Coposrv

Reaction score
Update! So after around 1k miles I am seeing a good amount soot on the firewall and around the FICM. I have a new FICM coming today from ficmrepair.com as well. Hopefully after replacing the ficm. Readjusting the turbo and replacing a ripped boot on the turbo outlet it should be good.

Coposrv

Reaction score
^ I saw it and I am eating the humble pie haha. I had the turbo in and out a few times and was so damn sure it finally had a good seat to it. I'm at the dealership now picking up an intercooler boot and clamp for the y pipe. Who knows if it stretched or what not. Can't wait to get this thing done and upload some tunes!

ghohouston

Reaction score
A little tip, before you go to tighten everything, take a mirror and flashlight, check as much of the y pipe to turbo mating area as you can see, it should be flush all the way around. Also, make sure the tabs of the turbo sit flush on the turbo pedistal

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
may have a cracked bellow in the y pipe too, this will cause the soot leakage, and well, you could very well have that band clamp on there just fine and thats not the issue.

Coposrv

Reaction score
So got the turbo out and it looks like the inlet side that mates to the up pipes had a little bit of junk in it throwing off the alignment causing a small exhaust leak. The turbo is back in along with the new ficm. Started right up and runs great. Just emailed Matt at gearheads and hopefully I will have some tunes in a few days.

Latest posts

Members online