Why does my truck "Roll Coal"...

The_Greenhorn

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I am diaper-wearing new to this thing called "diesel" and all things associated with it. Naturally I have a lot of question but im going to try to keep it as Powerstroke oriented as I can but please keep in mind that my knowledge on the subject is severely lacking.

Less than a month ago I bought a "Bulletproofed" 03 F250. The guy I purchased it from was very straight forward with me so I have taken his word on a lot of things that has been done to it. When I went for a test drive he had mentioned that he thinks the previous owner may have installed bigger injectors in it or something because when you goose the throttle a big black plume of smoke comes out the exhaust. I am assuming that smoke and power go hand and hand based on what i have seen and this truck has a lot of pick up as well, pun intended.

Im gonna rattle off all the things I can remember that have been done to it and maybe you guys can help me out on a couple of questions because im at a stand still...

1. ARP Headstuds
2. Oil Cooler "Update"
3. EGR Delete
4. ELC CAT Coolant Flush w/ Sinister Filter System
5. Banks intercooler upgrade
6. Quadzilla Commander Control System (Monitor Temps)
7. MBRP Exhaust (cant remember the size)

I think im forgetting some things but all and all thats pretty much it...

Is this enough upgrades to "Roll Coal" or do you think that there have been other things done to it that havent been brought up?

I would also like to bring up that I have no real goals for this truck at the moment and this "Rolling Coal" business ISN'T what im after either. I just want to know what the nature of all that smoke is and if it is relative to performance or a indicator of something failing.

Thank you for all your input and time.

webb06

Reaction score
Welcome. A little puff is pretty normal but if it really has a cloud then it could be larger injectors or maybe even the tuning. I'd suggest getting an sct tuner with gearhead custom tuning. It think you'll be much happier with the way they perform.

The_Greenhorn

Reaction score
That makes sense, i just couldn't find any concrete effects of bigger injectors or what to look for so I appreciate the help. I am definitely gonna upgrade to the SCT Livewire do to all the positive reviews and I kind of want to have it dyno tuned as well. I currently live in Maryland and Innovative Diesel is like a hour or so away, are they any good when it comes to diesel performance? I have been around the gas side of the auto world for a while now so tuning without a dyno seems wierd hahaha but then again this whole diesel thing is strange to me.

webb06

Reaction score
That makes sense, i just couldn't find any concrete effects of bigger injectors or what to look for so I appreciate the help. I am definitely gonna upgrade to the SCT Livewire do to all the positive reviews and I kind of want to have it dyno tuned as well. I currently live in Maryland and Innovative Diesel is like a hour or so away, are they any good when it comes to diesel performance? I have been around the gas side of the auto world for a while now so tuning without a dyno seems wierd hahaha but then again this whole diesel thing is strange to me.

You won't be able to tell if the injectors are stock or upgraded by looking at them. Innovative is one of the top shops and so is MPD if that's any closer to you.

The_Greenhorn

Reaction score
That sucks that you cant eyeball them to tell, what about scanning? I think I read something about pulse width in regards to injectors somewhere on here... Do you think bigger injectors would have a different pulse width reading than stock? I think this fancy-shmancy bluetooth OBDII reader that i have along with the Tourqe pro app can read stuff like. It came with the truck but i havent fiddled with it yet.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
the quadzilla might have a tune on it making it blow some smoke.. is it just a puff or will it coud out an intersection if you stomp it wide ooen for a couple seconds?

live life full throttle

The_Greenhorn

Reaction score
Its a full on cloud and it took off a lot faster than i expected. I was also wondering that too about the Quad but the guy i bought it from was using it for monitoring only. I guess quadzilla is out of business? I wanted to call them to get some input on it because when i press the buttons on the monitor, the screen doesnt change so i cant see if its running a program or not...

The_Greenhorn

Reaction score
Interesting... so with that being a possibility would it be safe to say that I should take it easy on the throttle because the tune may or may not be tuned to the transmission?

Also, my experience with automatic transmissions is almost zero. Usually my interactions with them involve replacing them with a manual one. When it comes to concept of "tuning to the transmission", I don't really know what that entails, as embarrassing as that is to admit. Could someone explain that a little more?

The_Greenhorn

Reaction score
I serious here, my back ground with automobiles is gas and cars, more specifically Imports and drifting. I went to UTI in Exton, PA back in 08 but ignorantly opted out of the Ford Fact program and their diesel program like a idiot.
Now I bought this 03 F250 in hopes to tow my car to the track and back as well as daily drive/cruise with it and i want to make sure its reliable and not gonna blow up. I could guess at what tuning to the transmission means but id rather be properly informed by people with experience in diesel products, more specifically Powerstrokes. Going back through my posts i can see how i came off trollish but im asking these questions so i can do this truck right from the begining so i don't have to pay for it later.

The_Greenhorn

Reaction score
From memory based on my training on automatic transmissions 7 years ago or so, all i know about them is they use planetary gears, shifting is based on hydraulic pressure, and they are a pain in the butt to work on. So again, im not to sure why you would have to tune to the transmission or what that entails, could you guys help me understand why its important?

The_Greenhorn

Reaction score
Thanks swinky, I emailed IDP yesterday to ask if they do look-overs and/or dyno tunes and they dont so ill give Maryland Performance Diesel a shot. They are only 30mins or so from where im stationed at so hopefully they have what im looking for.

As for the rest of my questions or concerns, i think ill try my luck on another forum. Im not a troll or a va-jj, or what ever the hell that is, and it sucks to be treated that way.