Tunes after Atlas 40 FICM

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
I installed an atlas 40 tuned FICM recently. Since then my egt's are very high. With my race tune I was seeing 1200 degrees cruising at 70. I switched to tow tune and temps are much better but if I hit a hill or a head wind they shoot up to 1100 cruising at 70. Truck used to cruise at 800. It also takes much longer to cool down.

Do I need an updated sct tune with less fuel to fix the issue?

Mods are what you see in my sig.

Thanks

bad moose

Reaction score
Did you pull sct tunes prior to loading the ficm tune? I know they said you didn't have to but I did anyways and haven't seen a problem. Try to put SCT back to stock and reload tunes.

morepower02

Reaction score
I run some old Spartan sct tunes with the atlas 40. Aggressive street for towing. Hybrid race for daily driving and light towing, ultra comp when not pulling. Temps?? Who knows no egt gauge. After having the truck for nine years I can tell by the tone of the engine.. Lol

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
I run some old Spartan sct tunes with the atlas 40. Aggressive street for towing. Hybrid race for daily driving and light towing, ultra comp when not pulling. Temps?? Who knows no egt gauge. After having the truck for nine years I can tell by the tone of the engine.. Lol

When I ran hybrid race I was seeing 1400 degree temps cruising. I feel like I need a tune with less fuel, more boost, or both.

I'll try returning to stock and reloading.

morepower02

Reaction score
Like I said no idea on temps but have been running the tunes for several years and over a year with atlas 40. Pulling 6,500 pounds at times in hybrid race. I am careful with my right foot and haven't had a problem.

05wh250

Reaction score
just a thought but is it possible you might have a small boost or exhaust leak?

I ran the atlas 40 with stock injectors and a powermax and my egt's didn't change.

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
just a thought but is it possible you might have a small boost or exhaust leak?

I ran the atlas 40 with stock injectors and a powermax and my egt's didn't change.

Very possible. Ive kind of suspected that and thought about replacing factory IC boots with the Mishimoto or BD ones. I just can't get over the price. :eek::eek:

05wh250

Reaction score
For what its worth I'm still using factory boots on mine. Also I would try to test it with compressed air before throwing parts at it.

powerSmokin

Reaction score
Riff Raff diesel has a pretty durable set they sell. I'm going to be picking those up in a few weeks for mine. I have old spartan tunes on mine also, mild, tow and hybrid race. I haven't tried hybrid or tow since I'm not studded. Also running an Atlas 40 and loving it.

Dave

Reaction score
Youve got an exhaust leak. Atlas 40 will not increase EGTs like that without one

Jeremy @ No Limit

Reaction score
It is HIGHLY unlikely that the Atlas 40 is causing that high of EGT's. I'm running the Hercules with bigger injectors/turbos and still don't see that high of EGT's while cruising....
OP remove the tune and test drive the truck

mstng5point0

Reaction score
I'm running the Atlas 40 with Id xtreme street tune and see about 700-800 cruising at 70. Sometimes more some less. Have you regeared from your 38s? Also deffinatly check for boost or exhaust leaks.

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
I'm running the Atlas 40 with Id xtreme street tune and see about 700-800 cruising at 70. Sometimes more some less. Have you regeared from your 38s? Also deffinatly check for boost or exhaust leaks.

Yes I account for the 38's. However they have been on the truck for years and the change in egt is recent. I havent had a chance to mess with it. Im going to return to stock and go from there.

Thanks

LiftedBlackHD

Reaction score
I returned to stock and I'm still having the same issue. I did notice that on a stock tune I see higher boost numbers while cruising.

How do I diagnose a possible boost or exhaust leak?

I'm starting to think this 10 year old pyrometer might be bad...

Jarrod B

Reaction score
When I ran the Hercules ficm tune with the ecm tuned, I had an issue keeping my egts down. I was able to hit 1800* easily with a hot ecm tune and managed to hit the records of 1900 -2100 on my cts. Even when I was on stock ecm the ficm was too hot for anything. Just driving in town was difficult due to instant heat.

Since then I've went to ford and reflashed my ficm to stock and dropped down to a tow tune. My egts are happy now and near stock.

Latest posts

Members online