EGT control options

Drewvdw

Reaction score
Alright guys, I'm new here, I've got an 04 6.0 with head studs, egr delete, oil cooler, intake, and 4" exhaust. I'm not really looking to make any more power right now, but I want to prepare my truck for it. I know most of you would say I'm at the point of injectors or turbo, but I want to hold off on them for now. I'm not having any issues with EGT's either. What are my options? Air in and exhaust out...I want to hear it all, not just the common and "cheap" things to do. I know a ported intake mani, ported exhaust mani or headers, water/meth injection, and intercooler are 4 of the biggest things, but what else is there?

What else reliability wise should I look into? I want to make this truck capable of "safely" running 500-600whp, whether I get there or not is a different story.

For those of you that may be interested, I come from the Subaru world. I've got a 2010 WRX that dyno'd at 320whp and 400wtq at around 6000 ft altitude on E-85. About the only stock parts were turbo, transmission, intake manifold, and fuel lines.

Thanks guys,
Drew

Drewvdw

Reaction score
Whoops, double post, crappy internet connection.

Last edited:

Drewvdw

Reaction score
Stock size or just a shade larger. Oh, I forgot to mention I've also got an sct tuner.

That would make sense, you're effectively raising your drive ratio and reducing the load on the engine.

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
i would suggest throwing the no limit catalogue at it. pm bigrpowr on here and he will hook you up with a package deal.

cold air intake, cold side pipe and hot side pipe, put a ported intake manifold from Absolute Performance on there and the next step is turbo and injectors.

on edit-good tuning is a massive factor. Get Gearhead tunes for your SCT and you will be amazed...

Drewvdw

Reaction score
I forgot to mention I also have the AFE cold side pipe and intake elbow. I've thought about a water to air intercooler, has anyone done one on a street driven 6.0?

sootie

Reaction score
what for? with the upgrades i suggested, there should be no issue with egts. if anything-the banks intercooler flows pretty well. That's the only banks product i would ever recommend,

Drewvdw

Reaction score
As I said in my original post, I have no issues with EGT's. Lower EGT's lead to better economy and performance, so why not? As for the AWIC (air to water intercooler), efficiency. Lower pressure drop and more heat removed. Also, as diesel engines don't care how lean the air fuel mixture gets, why not ensure you get every ounce of power out of the fuel you're injecting instead of wasting it through smoke?

I don't think I'm anywhere near needing injectors yet, a turbo will be first. I've been thinking the Mad Max or something slightly larger, I want to keep VGT.

sootie

Reaction score
i guess i was mislead by the title of your thread.

not sure why we are talking about smoke when everything i suggested would lead to minimal if any smoke at all.

if you are looking for a turbo, forget the madmax garbage. hit up James @ Barder turbo in the vendor section. he makes a wicked turbo and has several vgt options.

swinky

Reaction score
As I said in my original post, I have no issues with EGT's. Lower EGT's lead to better economy and performance, so why not? As for the AWIC (air to water intercooler), efficiency. Lower pressure drop and more heat removed. Also, as diesel engines don't care how lean the air fuel mixture gets, why not ensure you get every ounce of power out of the fuel you're injecting instead of wasting it through smoke?

I don't think I'm anywhere near needing injectors yet, a turbo will be first. I've been thinking the Mad Max or something slightly larger, I want to keep VGT.
If you just said "mad max" I think you would benefit from some more reading and studying on here.

The air to water would help but not be worth it really. Put an alradco intercooler on it and do some electric fans as well.

Barder turbo is the man to go to for any turbo needs.

Drewvdw

Reaction score
I suppose the title is a bit misleading. I'm not looking for a turbo just yet, that will be down the road a bit. I'll look into them though, thanks.

swinky

Reaction score
What's wrong with the mad max?
Just search mtw in here and read some threads. Many short cuts were taken when he built his turbos.

And he made a video showing "flow gains" by spraying compressed air at the compressor wheel lmao.

Drewvdw

Reaction score
I see, I hadn't done hardly any research into turbos yet, they just popped up and it seemed good. Good to know.

Drewvdw

Reaction score
At what point should I begin to get concerned about my trans? I know this is off topic, but I've read so many differing opinions.

sootie

Reaction score
you will be fine with good tuning (gearhead) until you upsize injectors.

swinky

Reaction score
At what point should I begin to get concerned about my trans? I know this is off topic, but I've read so many differing opinions.
You never know. Gearhead tunes on a stock healthy trans will last a little while at 500-550hp. All depends on the right foot.

pushbroom

Reaction score
I put some 175/75 injectors and a kc stage 2 turbo in my truck. Im loving it. Trans is doing fine so far on innovative tunes.

Latest posts

Members online