Steering gets tough at low RPM

Godofdew11

Reaction score
Gents, I notice this mostly when i have the plow on, with the extra weight on the front. When i come to a stop to park trying to turn the wheel makes me realize i haven't been to the gym in a while. happened last winter too, so when weather got nice i sucked out the pump fluid and refilled, twice. Hoped for the best seemed ok without plow, put plow on first time this year and its the same old work out. Any ideas?

Just noticed my signature is wayyy outta date, Truck is a 07 350 King ranch 6.0 CCSB, mostly bulletproofed.

sootie

Reaction score
dont turn when you are stopped. bad practice anyway. If your drag link and tierods dont have any play, pump is probably getting weak, coupled with gearbox wear. YOu could upgrade the steering box to a blue top or red head because both of them install needle bearings instead of bushings which has a similar effect to rollerizing a transmission. Less friction allows more torque to transmit thru the box.

Godofdew11

Reaction score
Agree that it is bad practice, but it is unavoidable at times. And even when rolling slowly and turning the wheel, if the engine is at idle it is very difficult. 2 months ago I did adjustable track bar and track bar balljoint, to correct some death wobble issues. Also made the steering the tightest it has been since i have owned the truck. As of now i have almost no steering wheel play. Sounds like replacing the pump is the next place to go.

Thanks!

04MT

Reaction score
How are your balljoints? My steering at slow speeds got much easier after I replaced the balljoints.