Helping a friend

Reaction score
2003 6.0 F250

Has crank no start issue, not building high oil pressure. Wait a few seconds and then it will start right up. When it starts it might run good or it will just die back out. I just noticed on the times it won't crank after the continuous cranking, the low pressure oil pressure gauge isn't moving on the dash. Like I said, let it sit for a min and then it will get pressure and fire right up. It still has pressure on the gauge when it just dies, not sure about the ICP when it dies. Is it just as simple as his low pressure pump is going bad or is there something different on the 6.0 we should check? Thanks for any help.

ghohouston

Reaction score
You need to plumb in a gauge, on the low pressure side if you think that's wjere the issue lies. You can pull the oil filter iirc and depress the valve in the bottom of the housing with someone cranking the truck to observe low pressure oil flow. You need to monitor high pressure oil on a good scanner. You can't make hpo without low pressure oil (lube oil). The gauge on the dash is just a dummy gauge, that opens at something like 5-7 psi.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Now he is telling me he found small shavings on the IPR. Was told this is a possible sign of low pump going bad? Will have to hook up a manual gauge to see what low and high pressure's are while cranking and if it cranks again while running. He did say he pressed that plunger and tried it three times in a row and it would fill up with oil so maybe the gauge is just going bad. Will know more after he hooks up some manual gauges.

ghohouston

Reaction score
It's probably just a bad ipr. Thats not totally uncommon. Also not uncommon to replace the ipr due to that case, and the truck keep going for a long time. My guess, if the ipr was to be re installed exactly as it was removed, and y'all hooked up a scanner, you would find about 250 psi reading at the icp sensor. Just my guess, also could be 100 other things. Could be hpop, could be lpop, could be something else. If i owned it, like i said, i would replace the ipr and see what happens.

bismic

Reaction score
Can you park on an decline (sloping downward) and see if it starts more reliably that way?

That is a common check for HPOP issues. So is an air test and listening for air leakage in the oil filter housing.

Reaction score
I will ask him to try it but from what I am hearing from him the shavings on the IPR seam to be causing most of the trouble (or the wherever the shavings are coming from) He cleaned the IPR and it cranked up and idled fine, he drove it around the yard for a few mins and it just died. He pulled the IPR out and it had more specs/shavings again. He cleaned it, it cranked up and he pulled it back in the garage and left it last night. I told him how to make some manual gauges to test low and high oil pressure while this is going on so it will be a day or two before I have reading on that.

Where on a 6.0 do you hook the manual gauges for the low and high pressure oil psi's? A pic if you have one would be great so I can show him.

Jtreece

Reaction score
mines doing the same thing, but mine fires up every time!! changed the LPOP, checked the regulator had minimal shavings in the IPR. changed it and still cutting out/dying at 55-75mph. I'm losing oil somewhere after the LPOP or my HPOP has dropped the bearing and the LPOP can't keep up.

Reaction score
Not to leave this thread hanging, apparently it was full of metal so he is pulling the motor. He earlier bought a low mileage motor out of an ambulance and is currently bulletproofing it. He didn't really want to park his truck yet with winter coming (his only 4x4) but with this happening he is going to go ahead with the motor swap. After he is done he might pull this one apart to see what let go.

Jtreece

Reaction score
Man that sucks, we are pulling my HPOP this next weekend I'm hoping mine isn't the same outcome!!!

Reaction score
He got his new motor installed and is running pretty good except for the fact he can't get the Y pipe to bolt up correctly. One side will but the other is as tight as he can get it and it still leaks boost bad so he can't drive the truck. Apparently it is an unknown after market pipe and no matter what he does he can't get it to seal. He is supposed to go get a factory junk yard y pipe to see if that will fit . Is there anything that he should be aware of or is it possible he just has a bad Y pipe? Y pipe= pipe connecting the turbo to the manifolds (incase its actually called something else)

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Try loosening the 4 bolts at the manifold, do not remive them. Then try getting it mated to the turbo, clamp the clamp, then tighten at the manifolds.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I think he has it good now but he is noticing a new problem which might have been the problem the whole time. What would cause his turbo to over boost? I will try to explain the best I can from what he is telling me. He has a on board gauge cluster (like edge or SCT) but no programmer at the moment and according to it his VGT is working correctly (open and closing) but when he goes to take off (and by take off I mean normal like at a red light etc...) it will jump to 33+ and you can hear the blow off on the turbo start popping off like crazy. He said he pulled the veins off and checked them, they are still new and clean and move freely. He pulled the vgt back out and looked for scarring, dirt ect and found nothing. What is he missing?

Also let me know if I should start a new thread for this problem?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
What is ebp reading koeo, same with map and baro? They should be Damn close to each other, typically within .5psi

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online