2020 6.7 Problems

CentralWest

Reaction score
Howdy, this is my first time posting on this website or any Forum for that matter. I have had a good number of problems so far with my 2020 Powerstroke and I have had a hell of a time finding anything on the internet regarding problems with them so far. I have a 2020 F-350 Super Duty, Platinum, crew Cab, Short box. My Truck has 9,000 miles on it and I purchased it on June 6th of 2020 with ~140 miles on it. The truck has spent two weeks at my local dealership getting looked at/worked on, I've gotten little in the way of answers.
1. I have had 3 cameras replaced, my bed camera still does not work despite being replaced.

2. My memory Seats don't return to their positions when i start the vehicle, despite having that setting enabled in the menu.

3. Occasionally i will get a warning on my dash for my traction control needing servicing, it will disable my drive modes (tow haul,eco,snow,sand,etc), and then just light up my dash.

4. This one might not be a problem but its getting cold up North here and even after leaving the truck outside in 25-30 degree Fahrenheit weather i don't see that the Glow plugs are kicking in?

5. This is the latest and greatest, which has resulted in me dropping the truck off at my local dealer this morning. I spent about 8 hours yesterday pulling my 40' goose neck trailer with 5 empty water totes, a empty 2,000 gallon water tank, a empty 1,000 gallon propane tank, and a industrial Air Compressor, ~13,000#. I drove 65 MPH, my oil temp never went over 220, and my transmission temp stuck around that 204-212. My ford Diesel tech says this is perfectly normal , i feel as though its a bit warm because my 2016 rarely went over 200, but who am I to say. When I got back to town, i went to a gas station with my trailer to fill up with fuel, and stopped at my shop. going through town I felt as though the Truck was lugging/working a little bit harder than it was earlier. When I arrived at my home, I swung into my yard with the intentions of backing my trailer into its usual spot, at first the truck would push the trailer if i gave it a lot of throttle, but it wasn't able to make any boost and sounded not quite right, then it just wouldn't move in reverse at all anymore, tranny temp was still only 212 degrees. I dropped my trailer right where it sat, pulled up to my garage (Drive still worked fine), hooked my snap-on Diagnostic tool up to it, and only found two codes, one for the steering wheel column, and another for the ambient Lighting. I reset the codes, turned the truck off, and when i turned it back on reverse felt fine. As far as I can tell everything was working normally this morning on the way to the dealership, but they still haven't gotten back to me. I fear they will simply do a look around, and hand the thing back to me only to have it happen again.

This has been my experience with my 2020 Superduty so far, I love the truck, and will keep it for sure if we can get this issues ironed out. I simply haven't seen much about these things on the internet so hopefully if anyone else has these problems they can find my post. I will continue to update with any information I learn about these issues. If anyone who reads this would like to brainstorm or ask any questions, feel free.

My Father bought a 2020 f-350 lariat dually with a 6.7 powerstroke and he keeps getting check engine lights with glow plug module codes as well.

dmd

Reaction score
It sucks, but this is a dealer problem now. That is why you have a warranty. Document everything in case they have to buy it back.

If it is 25 out and it starts, the GPs are working

dmd

Reaction score
It sucks, but this is a dealer problem now. That is why you have a warranty. Document everything in case they have to buy it back.

blackie375

Reaction score
friend of mine has issues with a new Duramax thats been at the dealer for 30 days. Has not even had first oil change yet.
shame as much as these new trucks cost.

superpsd

Reaction score
From following the 2020s they seem to actually mbe pretty reliable so far. There are already a few 2020s with 80K with no major issue. I've only got 10K on mine. I would like Ford to dial in the 10R140 TCM calibrations. There are some complaints there. The new 7.3 gad guys are seeing more problems than the 6.7 guys as far as I've been following. The only issues I've had are TCM issue. I had a November truck which was covered under a TSB for the revised TCM software flash. That took care of a lot of funky issues but the shifting could use more work. As far as transmission temperatures these do run warmer that is normal as that is a common question that 2020 owners raise. The 10R140 has a special type of fluid that is said to be good for the life of the transmission.

Last edited:

Petro

Reaction score

Its a common rail, not a 7.3. Guarantee you can completely disable the glow plugs and it'll pop right off at 0 without a single hiccup.

ckrueg

Reaction score
[/B]

Its a common rail, not a 7.3. Guarantee you can completely disable the glow plugs and it'll pop right off at 0 without a single hiccup.
Not true, my on my 16 I stupidly forgot to wait for the GPs and starting at 25, it was not happy. It started but sounded like a 7.3 with bad injectors.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

Petro

Reaction score
Not true, my on my 16 I stupidly forgot to wait for the GPs and starting at 25, it was not happy. It started but sounded like a 7.3 with bad injectors.

There's literally no need to wait for them. Ive never seen a healthy common rail fail to start or sound different because you didn't cycle thr glue plugs. The only reason they are there, is for cold start emissions like stated above. If it sounded like a 7.3 with bad injectors, you have other problems.

ckrueg

Reaction score
There's literally no need to wait for them. Ive never seen a healthy common rail fail to start or sound different because you didn't cycle thr glue plugs. The only reason they are there, is for cold start emissions like stated above. If it sounded like a 7.3 with bad injectors, you have other problems.
Common rail can't overcome the fact that diesel fuel needs high temperatures (400+f) for autoignition. On a cold engine there's just not enough heat to provide enough temperature for efficient combustion. If there's no point for glow plugs go start your truck at 0 degrees without them and see what happens...It won't

sootie

Reaction score
Common rail can't overcome the fact that diesel fuel needs high temperatures (400+f) for autoignition. On a cold engine there's just not enough heat to provide enough temperature for efficient combustion. If there's no point for glow plugs go start your truck at 0 degrees without them and see what happens...It won't

Buddy i have started my 250k mile 2011 6.7 below zero with no glow plugs. Its starts just fine. Yes it sputters a bit and smokes a lot but i have never had it not fire.

ckrueg

Reaction score
Were they not functioning at all or did you just not wait for the light? They heat up so fast that in 2 seconds they are producing a lot of heat. I know I don't have an issue because when it happened I had 14k miles and have never had an issue since.

pog

Reaction score
Buddy i have started my 250k mile 2011 6.7 below zero with no glow plugs. Its starts just fine. Yes it sputters a bit and smokes a lot but i have never had it not fire.

buddy. buds. you gotta wait for the light to go out on the dash.

PDT1081

Reaction score

We've started old Detroits without ether near 10 degrees out colder. Some of the older CATs we have will start with no ether or a very little squirt. Those are static when it comes to fuel amounts and timing. Common rail can overcome that to a point.

Petro

Reaction score

Literally have started 6.4s and 6.7s at well below zero by just jumping in and rolling the key straight to crank without a single hesitation and every time they fire and run without a hiccup. Its about time you stop commenting and start looking at other diesels besides 7.3s. In the real world, very few diesels have glowplugs and they start just fine in the cold. For example, ANY over the road engine, Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit, none have glowplugs. Very few Ag tractors use glowplugs or grid heater. Almost all start without assistance. How ignorant are you? I suggest you quit commenting until you crawl out from under your 7.3 rock.

Last edited:

ckrueg

Reaction score
Literally have started 6.4s and 6.7s at well below zero by just jumping in and rolling the key straight to crank without a single hesitation and every time they fire and run without a hiccup. Its about time you stop commenting and start looking at other diesels besides 7.3s. In the real world, very few diesels have glowplugs and they start just fine in the cold. For example, ANY over the road engine, Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit, none have glowplugs. Very few Ag tractors use glowplugs or grid heater. Almost all start without assistance. How ignorant are you? I suggest you quit commenting until you crawl out from under your 7.3 rock.
Not sure why you assume I'm a 7.3 guy, I owned one for less than a year as a beater. I had a 6.4 for 4 years and 200k, and a 6.7 for 3 years and 80k. You do realize on 6.4s and 6.7s the glow plugs do their job within 5 seconds so just the time it takes to crank the engine and fire they've already created heat. The original point of this thread the op asking whether his glow plug light not turning on was an issue. If it's not throwing codes it's probably fine.

Petro

Reaction score
Not sure why you assume I'm a 7.3 guy, I owned one for less than a year as a beater. I had a 6.4 for 4 years and 200k, and a 6.7 for 3 years and 80k. You do realize on 6.4s and 6.7s the glow plugs do their job within 5 seconds so just the time it takes to crank the engine and fire they've already created heat. The original point of this thread the op asking whether his glow plug light not turning on was an issue. If it's not throwing codes it's probably fine.

Talking to you is a lost cause. My original comment was said because someone suggested it will not start without glowplugs, that comment was flat out false. You can remove the glow plug control module and it will start the same. You make comments based on the 7.3 level of starting, thats why I'm calling you a 7.3 guy.

Latest posts

Members online