Built 5r110w reverse issue

Reaction score
Just installed my built 5r110w, which I rebuilt myself with the bd stage 4 kit, billet input, and billet low/reverse hub, and a billet TC.
I filled the tc, and transmission with about 12qt of SP prior to starting it. Fired it up and topped up the fluid, went through the gears and topped it up again to about 18qt totall.
Now my issue is when I put it in reverse, it engages and goes back about 2ft before stopping. It almost feels like its popping into park. If I rev it up a bit it will shudder and sporadically engage a bit but doesn't feel good.
Drive seems to work good although I haven't been able to get out of the garage to drive it properly yet.

Any suggestions, would be appreciated

Reaction score
Swapped out solenoids A,E, and D.
No changes, gunna check line pressure today.
I'm hearing a not so good metalic sound from the front of the transmission.
So I'm leaning towards a pump issue, but how do I tell if its the pump or the TC?
The TC is a brand new billet unit.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I don't see how it could be a TC issue, whether you mean torque converter, transfer case, or turbocharger.

If it is a pump issue the pressures will show it. They do not. But what does the pressure do when the trans loses reverse?

slashmaxx

Reaction score
If it has first gear and not reverse, direct clutch is the issue, reverse is the only gear direct is applied via the manual valve, you can rule out any solenoid body stuff buy adding shop air the main press set port on the side of the pan and put it in reverse, also helps to drop the pan, you shouldn't be able to hear any air, just a clunk when the piston applies, you can also take the solenoid body off and hit the direct clutch circuit with shop air strait through the stator support bolt, I do this while im building the trans.... just to make sure that I didn't roll the teflon seal, also helps if you have a 1 piece direct bushing

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply.
I forgot to update, but after pulling the trans and going through it, I found on reassembly that I had put the factory overdrive piston in instead of the machined version, so with the extra clutches, it had put enough force on the pressure plate to bust 2 teeth and obviously overdrive was clamped. Didn't catch it cuz dont think you can measure clearance on overdrive with it being at the top under the pump, so when i tightened the pump it must have popped em.
Thankfully they didn't break off completely and go thru the trans so its fine and the clutches are good.
Beginner mistakes:doh:

Last edited:
Reaction score
20201115_120510.jpg

Latest posts

Members online