No power when cold

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Depends on the mileage on the truck. Some of the odor might be from the oil on the exhaust burning off. Once the motor breaks in, the exhaust smell reduces dramatically but it will always be there. Probably is also dependent on the richness/tune level you are on and how hard you run it.

Cpstanley

Reaction score
Just turned 5,000 miles and running third of four tunes. Don't run it hard at all. Get on it once and a while for the thrill but not racing or anything like that.

jwanck11

Reaction score
that is not how mine acts and I have had and have run every tune on the sct platform other than K E M.

TexAg56

Reaction score
I have noticed before that my truck wouldnt downshift when it was cold. Now im thinking this is what was going on. Im thinking maybe it didnt rev up enough to trigger the downshift. Felt like it had no power. Glad to see this is normal!

Reaction score
I just tuned my 16 with GH over the weekend and do not have this issue at all with the low power when cold. Even with the temps in the high 40s here after start up and idle for a minute, then drive, oil temp around 60 degrees, mine did not have any lower power or limited to 1500 rpm. I'm wondering if this has to do with certain connectors being plugged in.

Jomax

Reaction score
Yes. I have to do a full fifteen minute warm up even here in the desert where the coldest it gets is 30 degrees.

Had this happen to my 7.3 once. Kept telling my tuner it's the tuning. Finally he opened up my tunes and saw that he somehow took all of the fueling down low, till I hit Operating temp.

I don't care what safety measures aftermarket tuners put, detuning the truck when cold is fine; but don't limit the rpm/speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cpstanley

Reaction score
I just tuned my 16 with GH over the weekend and do not have this issue at all with the low power when cold. Even with the temps in the high 40s here after start up and idle for a minute, then drive, oil temp around 60 degrees, mine did not have any lower power or limited to 1500 rpm. I'm wondering if this has to do with certain connectors being plugged in.

How many connectors, besides on the exhaust, should be unplugged? The only one I have unplugged I'd the orange one that connects to the EGR.

Reaction score
How many connectors, besides on the exhaust, should be unplugged? The only one I have unplugged I'd the orange one that connects to the EGR.

You're missing one under the hood. You need to disconnect the other orange plug that connect to the intake throttle valve as well. Also, as far as the exhaust sensors go, I unplugged every connector that went to the exhaust and left them off. I also removed all my modules that the sensors were connected to. There is a NOX module and two sensor control modules. But I would start with seeing if unplugging the intake throttle valve sensor makes any difference.

Reaction score
Location of throttle valve sensor

Attachments

• Intake throttle valve sensor location.jpg
    Intake throttle valve sensor location.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 79

Latest posts

Members online