fuel bowl orings and lines

05wh250

Reaction score
Alright guys I looked and couldn't find much about it. My grandpas 96 has a fuel leak in the valley somewhere, I figure I might as well replace what I can while I'm in there.

I saw the master boring kit on riffraff's site but what else should I replace? I saw rubber hoses, but aren't sure which ones or how many I need to get.

Pstrke96

Reaction score
The fuel in and return lines are notorious for leaking I believe 3/8 about 5" long make sure to use some HD stainless worm drive clamps

05wh250

Reaction score
I haven't checked anywhere but riffraff, but I'll look there too.

Do y'all use regular rated fuel hose?

I figured while I was there I would rebuild/ replace what I could. Most of the fuel seemed to be at the back of the valley, around what I would assume is the banjo bolt where the feed lines for the heads connect and split off. Would those be orings or crush washers?

zilla68

Reaction score
the feed lines at the split off are crush washers if your talking about that huge bolt kind of under the pedestal for the turbo.

I wouldn't use regular hose, bob at dieselorings told me to use diesel rated only.
he has everything you will need in one place, great guy with awesome service.

m j

Reaction score
the vibralok rubbers dissolve
IMG_20131103_151955_zpscb93c46c.png

05wh250

Reaction score
Alright, thanks guys. Also, could someone tell me how many of each hose I will need? And I saw the return lines, looked like some kind of hydraulic line, would I need to replace those too? Or do they give problems?

05wh250

Reaction score
Alright guys, we replaced all the fuel hoses and rebuilt the fuel bowl. Stopped one leak, I didn't replace the crush washers on the back of the fuel pump. Unfortunately that's where the leak is now.

My new question is, would it be the crush washers or a leak from the fuel pump? I've ran my hands around all the lines and can't find anything, and don't see anywhere its ran down from the heads. Just trying to figure out if I need the fuel pump or not.

And thanks for everybody's help so far!

Bugman

Reaction score
The weep hole may start to leak even if the pump isn't starting to go bad. Just the nature of the beast.

jmsmith76

Reaction score
Weep hole is on the front, passenger side of the fuel pump (correct me if I'm wrong, it's been awhile). Stick your inspection mirror down there and look for fuel dripping.

05wh250

Reaction score
Yes the crush washers should be in there, I didn't take that apart.

From the picture I looked at it has 2 weep holes, I was thinking they were toward the back.

Anyway the under side of the pump was wet and nothing else that I could find. I have the pump on its way, so wish me luck I don't lose the tappet when I pull it.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Anyway the under side of the pump was wet and nothing else that I could find. I have the pump on its way, so wish me luck I don't lose the tappet when I pull it.

Do NOT lift the pump out just yet......Once you have all the hoses disconnected, remove the bolts holding the fuel pump. Turn the crank bolt which will make the fuel pump pop up. With the pump in the up position, the cam eccentric will prevent the tapped from falling into the engine.

Billy T.
[email protected]

jmsmith76

Reaction score
Do NOT lift the pump out just yet......Once you have all the hoses disconnected, remove the bolts holding the fuel pump. Turn the crank bolt which will make the fuel pump pop up. With the pump in the up position, the cam eccentric will prevent the tapped from falling into the engine.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Yep. I usually turn the crank over a couple times to figure out where the highest point is.