Best engine/transmission setup for a daily driven/towing 7.3

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I'd expect egts to climb towing over 10k lbs up a 6% grade for over 8 miles. It would normally climb 1300 while I was rolling but if slower drivers were hanging in the left lane (which they always do) and I really had to lug her, they would climb even more and I wouldn't let her get over 1400. This auto, with 34.5's, and 3.73's. So I end up shifting to third to make everything happy. Same climb same load with the BASB and I never topped 1050 on overdrive. I log tons and tons of miles each week and stay in my gauges. The BASB runs cooler, spools slightly lower, and makes more boost across the board.
My numbers based on the dieselsite d66 ww2.
Running empty at interstate speeds 38r would run about 3-5 psi and 600-650 get on flat ground. BASB will run 5-7 psi stay between 550-600 egt. Empty up standard type hills on the interstate, the 38r would run 7-10 psi and run 750-950 egt. BASB runs 8-12 psi and temps stay between 650-800 egt. Towing my same trailer mentioned above on the interstate on flat ground, 38r runs 7-10psi and 750-1000 egts. BASB runs 8-12 psi and 700-800 egts. Running up standard hills the 38r runs 10-15 psi and 1000-1200 egts. BASB runs 12-17 psi and runs 800-1000 egts.
I run the 38r with the stock wheel, regular ww2 and the d66 ww2. The d66 ww2 was the best performer on my truck which is strictly a daily driver/tow rig. The BASB I have only run with the billet wheel installed by Bell.
My truck is stronger tip to bottom running the BASB and it seems much happier in the 1500-1800 rpm range than the 38r on MY truck.
And FWIW my WG rod was completely tightened down on the 38r.
Here's something else for you. Towing mileage numbers all hand calculated. 38r stock wheel 8.5 mpg, ww2 8.8 mpg, and d66 ww2 9.2 mpg. BASB 10.5 mpg.
Empty, I was about 15 mpg with all 3 wheels on the 38r. BASB I'm just over 16 so far. I use my higher HP tow tune to tow, and my street tune running empty.
Told ya......you'll love the BASB. Did you get the BASB with the billet wheel?

Who's tunes are you running?

Billy T.
[email protected]

nossliw

Reaction score
While everyone bitches about this one or that one, I will make one other suggestion. Your buddy is towing a toy hauler...so I'm guessing 14-18k lbs... have fun on any mountain pass or grade of any sort doing that with 3.73s and 35's... I’d love to see this 1800 rpm 6% grade climb at 70 mph in over drive some speak of with 14,000+ behind their truck. Sea level on the flat, doable … a true mountain pass 8000-11,000 feet, forget it. If you are running 35’s, 4:10 gears will be a nice change. Just a suggestion.

I'd consider the cost perspective of all of it too.

A stock S366 flows 1050cfm, billet wheel maybe 1150cfm – 580$ shipped(not knock offs) +T4 kit $$$
BASB = 1350cfm – 1375$ + T4 $$$
38r = same as the s366 IMO - 1350-1500$? Not rebuildable

So that being said I’d just stick with the 38R if you don’t want to convert. If you do convert is the BASB really worth 120% more of the cost of the 366? IMO…no. Would I choose it over a 366, yes if I could afford it. Went with the 366 instead. Coming from someone who does not use his truck as a toy but rather for towing, The 366 is a hell of a change over the stock unit. Towing 14-17,000 lbs in the CO mountains I have yet to push 1250 in a stock tune, turn it up, yes she needs a bit of water to stay within reason. Yanked that weight around over 10,000 miles last year.

When out in the Midwest at a lower elevation, there was absolutely no issue on any grade with EGTs. Once again, its all in the tuning as some have mentioned.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Twisted diesel automatic if you upgrade the injectors at all. If you run a stock injector and tuning or an ac/stock a torque converter and vb would be sufficent if you keep it cool.

Im done with the turbo.

Ive towed tons of **** with 35's and 37s around here with less power.

CurtisF did the same thing with 38r, 250/200, and 35s with COOLER egts so a 38r is capable even with larger amounts of fuel. Jus sayin...lots of no's but lots sayin yes too..

Iincolnlocker runs a 38r and he drives like a banshee in a 470 hp truck and his egts were enviably cool..

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I have a BASB and tow 21k in the East (PA, WV). I have 3.55s with 275s. There're a few good grades in western PA and going from PA into WV. I don't know the grade percentage but have pulled 5-7 mile grades. I could've pulled them OD at 70 (1850 rpm) but get caught up in slow moving traffic.. I'm passing cars. The slower moving traffic makes me downshift into 3rd.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
I have a BASB and tow 21k in the East (PA, WV). I have 3.55s with 275s. I don't know the grade percentage but have pulled 5-7 mile grades. I could pulled them OD at 70 (1850 rpm). I'm passing cars and Got caught up in slower moving traffic which made me downshift into 3rd.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Thats awesome shti right there...move over, comin through!

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Twisted diesel automatic if you upgrade the injectors at all. If you run a stock injector and tuning or an ac/stock a torque converter and vb would be sufficent if you keep it cool.

Im done with the turbo.

Ive towed tons of **** with 35's and 37s around here with less power.

CurtisF did the same thing with 38r, 250/200, and 35s with COOLER egts so a 38r is capable even with larger amounts of fuel. Jus sayin...lots of no's but lots sayin yes too..

Iincolnlocker runs a 38r and he drives like a banshee in a 470 hp truck and his egts were enviably cool..
^^^^^^The common denominator = tuning.

Billy T.
[email protected]

KYpatriot

Reaction score
How does the basb like higher rpms? I am at 2350-2400 at 70 mph in fifth gear. At those rpms egt has obviously not been a problem while towing, around 900 to 950 or so. This is with a brute66. Much better than my stock turbo. One thing im curious about. When you install a turbo that moves more air than stock, like a 38r/basb/66, will your boost stay the same at a given throttle position? Or does the engine get the volume of air it needs at a lower boost since so much more air is being moved? Does the addition of an intercooler affect any of that?

Asking because my truck is pulling harder than ever but i believe the boost is down a couple psi from what i can remember from before. Its hard to be sure since i didnt have the stock turbo numbers written down. The truck just seems to work less than before on the same hills. Maybe its because i need less throttle to tackle the same hill as before, therefore im not asking the turbo to spin as much?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Lower boost but at higher, more dense cfms...

38r doesnt make much more than 10lbs on a stock truck EXCEPT at WOT.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Boost is restriction. If the engine is able to use all the cfm provided by the turbo, there would be 0 boost.

The bigger and more efficient turbos give more cfm at lower boost levels. The stock turbo needs to be worked harder to provide the same cfm. When this happens, the turbo is being operated out its map.

There is a balance between compressor wheel size/design vs exhaust wheel/exhaust housing A/R. The more cfm you put in the more, the same air needs to exit....exhaust backpressure/drive pressure.

Once the drive pressure reaches 2:1 to boost, need to look at a different turbo, cam lobes and/or exhaust housing to lower the drive pressure.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
How does the basb like higher rpms? I am at 2350-2400 at 70 mph in fifth gear. At those rpms egt has obviously not been a problem while towing, around 900 to 950 or so. This is with a brute66. Much better than my stock turbo. One thing im curious about. When you install a turbo that moves more air than stock, like a 38r/basb/66, will your boost stay the same at a given throttle position? Or does the engine get the volume of air it needs at a lower boost since so much more air is being moved? Does the addition of an intercooler affect any of that?

Asking because my truck is pulling harder than ever but i believe the boost is down a couple psi from what i can remember from before. Its hard to be sure since i didnt have the stock turbo numbers written down. The truck just seems to work less than before on the same hills. Maybe its because i need less throttle to tackle the same hill as before, therefore im not asking the turbo to spin as much?

BASB has PLENTY to give in the upper rpm that you mention. If you are happy with what you have...the BASB will blow you away. Billy actually went from the turbo you have to the BASB, he will tell you the improvements.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I want to see this turbo ran with a 250/200 or even a 238/80 otherwise it kinda seems to be a stg 2 injector turbo. Although the cfm is there. Throwing fuel at something is the best way to test its mettle. LOL

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Being a higher cfm rating and having a larger exhaust housing...I'd think it will handle it just like a 38r would but just a tad better. Is my thinking wrong there?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Better? I dont know about better? We're still deciding the better issue at low fuel levels.

Seems guys who went to the basb had trouble eith their 38rs. Lots of us didnt though.

The one time I had trouble for a month running some larger a codes or small hybrids, I can't remember, it was 200 degrees high. Always. I bkamed the egt probe. I do have vatometers after all. I finally threw in good stock injectors. ..no chip and a loaded trailer. Everything looked good but still 200° hot. Wtf!? 900 degrees with 8klbs of trailer running up the 7 mile hill to Arlington from my house. Its 2-5% with no flat spots. It was running at 900 degrees. Doing 55.

I finally went to checking my new brakes and new bearings. Frikkin pass side rear caliper was dragging :doh: two week old brakejob. Smh. Replaced it. Reinspected. Road test. Stock injectors no tuning. Trailer. Running 65 up the same hill egts 775-800 degrees. Pedal to the floor. Which is pretty effin good. The truck had full fuel system, srp1,35s, and 3.73. Those are cool egts in my book. With the chip and php tunes it wouldnt exceed 750 doing the same run. Unless I used the race tune! Then 1300 was there lol. This is with that billwt wheel too.

I do have one gripe right now that is totally related to that wheel. With 35s and 3.73s it hits a hot spot right into OD with the billet wheel. Its not running high enough and it hits 900 degrees. With the stock 38r wheel it'd be 550-600. Smaller tires would work or putting that noisy ass cast wheel back in.

Latest posts

Members online