Rebuild advice for parts

Pjmobb

Reaction score
This is my first post on here so bare with me. 2008 6.4 bought from a dude in Wisconsin that took me pretty good. Found oversized OD bearings for the crank so we can line bore the block. I want to put delipped ceramic coated pistons max force 7. The pistons that were in it stick up .034 above the deck and the machine shop is putting two sleeves in so it will. Need to be decked. I can get pistons milled. What is the max the piston can come out of the block. All I could find was around .034 was the max. Using the same rods. The cam I am unsure if a stage one or stage two is best for me and I can not find dyno specs on them. The truck will be used for towing around 15000-18000lbs 1ton dually. I am having new guides put in the stock heads and valves reground. Egr gone. 4" exhaust. Minimax tunerI
Any specs. You might have or experience with different parts would be great. Thanks in advance.

Zeb

Reaction score
You’re on the right track.

Maxxforce 7 pistons definitely, but I wouldn’t delip or coat them. It’s not worth it, IMO.

Factory piston protrusion spec is 0.024”-0.034”.

I have had excellent results with Colt Stage 2 cams. When running that cam it is IMPERATIVE to mill the pistons to be at, or slightly below factory piston protrusion spec, and also to the deep side of factory valve recession spec.

I like to see 0.020”-0.024” piston protrusion and 0.025”-0.028” valve recession when running a Colt Stage 2 cam.

Pjmobb

Reaction score
Thanks. Do you know of someone selling a rebuild kit with the max force? The only ones I could find were ceramic coated. Run about $2,800 and above for pistons, bearing, gaskets, and cam.

Pjmobb

Reaction score
My block had the mains out of round and with the gear to gear connection of crank and cam the normal line bore can not be done. There is a company in Grand Rapids Michigan ACL. They make a special bearing with an oversized OD of .040 inch with a standard, .010, and .020 under ID. Here are the part numbers respectively. 5M727PO/S1.0-STD, 5M727PO/S1.0-010, 5M727PO/S1-020.

sootie

Reaction score
Everything everybody already said. Ditch that block, sleeves suck. Don't delip the maxforce pistons. Ceramic coat if it makes you feel better but not necessary. If you are running anything other than a stock cam, shorten or flycut the pistons.

Get custom tuning to extend the life of the next engine.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Ive never had any issues with any of the engines i have sleeved.

Where did you get the oversize bearings tho? I have a engine here that needs that but i couldnt find bearings at the time.

Thanks

Pjmobb

Reaction score
ACL bearings here in my great state of Michigan in Grand Rapids. Bearing numbers are mb3237k5-os10
And I believe they make a .020 ID over too. The OD is .040 over on these bearings.

Pjmobb

Reaction score
ACL grand rapids Michigan. 5m7275po/S1.0-STD. Come with std, .010, and .020 ID. OD is .040

Latest posts

Members online