96 injector install

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
So I am finally getting my injectors done. I Bought a set of full force 180/30's and getting php tuneing along with new harnesses and gaskets. I have been searching how to install and everyone seems to do it differently. So my question is whats the best way and what will I need. Also have been trying to find torque specs for hold down bolts. I am a diesel tech by day so I have a basic understanding on it just have never done them on a powerstroke before only semi's.Thanks.

bruce

Reaction score
Take the rear most injector out first, then pull the rest. Lay the valve cover up there, unplug the 42 pin connector, spin the engine over, drop the injector in, tap with palm or rubber mallet, torque hold down to 120 in pounds

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
How do you do that? What about the res? Also do i need to drain coolant or do any prep work to injector holes before install. I have a suction tool to remove oil/fuel from cylinders btw.

m j

Reaction score
fill the rez.
to fill oil rails you have to remove at least the front most -05 ORB plug and use a small funnel. thin synthetic oil makes it a little easier to get it to flow, still messy proposition. one day I will make a short line and figure out how much oil the rails hold.
all that does is reduce the cranking time to clear air from HPO
no coolant is harmed in a 7.3 injector job

I always bar it over by hand to ensure it turns freely prior to spinning it with the starter.
have some good charged batteries and a

Reaction score
Take the rear most injector out first, then pull the rest. Lay the valve cover up there, unplug the 42 pin connector, spin the engine over, drop the injector in, tap with palm or rubber mallet, torque hold down to 120 in pounds
If you spin the motor over with the injectors out, you will push more fuel and oil into the galleries which will drain into the cylinders. Once the injectors are out, use a mightyvac or similar to such the oil out of the cylinders. Install the injectors. Then with the glowplugs removed, injectors disconnected, and valvecovers placed into position, spin the motor over by hand. Then spin it over with the starter. Since any fuel and oil that squirts out of the GP holes will likely drain to the sump, you will probably want to change the oil. Cheers!

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
Got it done and yeah I did an oil change right after I got it running. Wow what a difference, but very smokey. For sure needs better tuneing. Im sending my ts chip back with my old injecters to be reburned. Thanks for all the info, all in all it only took about 4 hrs going slow. Not bad at all. I did it exactly as bruce does except I sucked out the cylinders first.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Look into contacting php directly for tuning. I did the same as you have done tuning wise when I bought my FF 238/100's. I'm fairly certain they just have a stock pile of php tunes for different injectors and setups. I've been told to get the best tunes to go thru php and not full force. Or a php dealer. In which you would have to pay for the tuning. $25 a tune I believe.

I did the same thing. Had FF send me tunes with the injectors. They are terrible. I think they charged me $50 for the chip burn. I called a dealer(not sure if they are vender) and talked to them about getting my tunes fixed. Ide have to pay for the tuning again. Because apparently what FF has isn't the best it could be as far as php goes. Which is fine. I'm going to go gearhead instead since I'm going to be buying tuning yet again.

Don't know if any of that info will help you or not but there you go.

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
Thanks i'll have to look into that if these free php tunes don't make it run like it should. Runs very good now just set up like a light switch and very smokey.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.