Bad Tie Rod End Help

Mulletman

Reaction score
I went to get an alignment from Hibdon a couple hours later they call me and tell me I have three bad tie rod ends and it would be 540 to replace them.. So I told them Im good and went and picked it up. Now if I'm going to replace the tie rods I figure all the other steering components are probably not far from taking a crap themselves (the trucks been down a lot of bad roads) so what would you guys suggest, buy all new ends and ballpoints and possibly steering arm? I'm not sure what to get so I need some help. Also would going with the 110-150$ kits on eBay be a bad idea? I could get all that I mentioned for around 150$ but I don't want to buy crap parts. Also how much should the labor be to replace these? And the last question what do you guys think on greasable vs sealed joints? Thanks.

78f100

Reaction score
I would only use moog or like quality parts on it. Never use the house brand or ebay stuff if you are gonna use the truck as a truck. Most of that cheap stuff you will be replacing again next year. The moog parts will be grease able and that's what you want. If the ball joints are good no real reason to replace them, but most likely if the other steering parts are bad your ball joints have some play also. labor for a complete from end is not cheap, I would have to look it up but ball joints alone on these trucks iirc book at about 3.5 to 4 hours per side on 4x4 trucks. The labor to go ahead with tie rods and such shouldn't add much more time as the outers have to be removed for ball joints anyway.

Mulletman

Reaction score
Well not exactly what I wanted to hear and see price wise.. But I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet. Thanks fellas!

TARM

Reaction score
Unfortunately MOOG is not the same quality it was 10 yrs ago. Not crap but a good notch down before the corp merry go round.

XRF is very good with a good rep. there is a few writeups by users on the durability and design. It is not and discount stuff.
I use their ball joints as well as the full tie rod kit. If they make one its what I use on all the trucks I work on.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.