Trans questions

1BD9D7

Reaction score
Ok my truck is a 2wd 2005 with 220k miles. The trans does not want to reverse, even on a hill in neutral it does not want to roll backwards. In the shop on stands, rear wheels and calipers removed, in neutral I can roll the driveshaft easily "forwards" but only moves a tiny bit in "reverse" before there's a clunk sound definately from the trans...

Assuming I will be looking to swap in a used 5R110W. I see 2008+ have a different tc. I have read that the 5.4 gas trans is different (lighter) and I dont want that, but any 2003.5+ diesel or V10 trans will work?

I will be more likely to find a 4x4 version - I know the transfer case is separate, but also the tail of the trans is different? Is it easy to take off my existing 2wd tail and put it on my "new" 4x4 trans?

NathannialD

Reaction score
Yes if you find a 4x4 trans you can very easily swap the parts to make it 2wd. I would make sure it's a 6.0/6.4 trans if it were me. Also if it's a later 6.4 trans you will need to swap your pan on with the 6.0 filter. If you are at all interested we do offer a slightly upgraded rebuilt trans. Just throwing that out there.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
There are only two differences between a 6.8L and 6.0L/6.4L trans from the same years. The torque converter is different, and the intermediate one way clutch is BETTER in the 6.8L. If you swap to a diesel converter the V10 trans will work perfectly fine in a diesel. It just won't clunk on the 2-3 shift like the diesel trans will.

andre34

Reaction score
im new here and this site is pissin me off already. where does a guy post around hwere or am i just blind

1BD9D7

Reaction score
im new here and this site is pissin me off already. where does a guy post around hwere or am i just blind

Find the correct forum, then click on Forum Tools and then "Post a new thread". I am guessing you will not find this answer either but maybe it will help.

Thanks for those previous posts, hopefully my problem was being caused entirely by a badly hanging brake caliper and I wont have to swap out the trans. I knew it looked a little rough but actually it requires a new caliper and rotor...I will soon find out

Latest posts

Members online