20inch or 18 inch wheels

Betarocker

Reaction score
I tend to agree with the statement somewhat. Most lower priced packages include 17 or 18 inch wheels, with 20 inch options being available with a considerable up-charge.

For pavement queens (towing) there is a benefit for the lower sidewall to prevent sidewall flex, but ride quality suffers when the terrain gets a bit rough. Offroad, having more sidewall will have the opposite benefits and limitations.

My opinion is that the rim diameter should be at or close to half the tire diameter.

08Monster

Reaction score
I tend to agree with the statement somewhat. Most lower priced packages include 17 or 18 inch wheels, with 20 inch options being available with a considerable up-charge.

For pavement queens (towing) there is a benefit for the lower sidewall to prevent sidewall flex, but ride quality suffers when the terrain gets a bit rough. Offroad, having more sidewall will have the opposite benefits and limitations.

My opinion is that the rim diameter should be at or close to half the tire diameter.
So you shouldn't run a 20 until you run 40s? That's kind of a dumb statement. If it's not at least a 20, they don't belong on a Superduty in my opinion.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Strokersace

Reaction score

I would agree with this. Regardless of the rim size, the tire should be proportional. A fat tire on a little wheel doesn't look right or handle the same as a big wheel/little tire combo.

18s look dang good with the right tire setup. So do 20s IMO. Anything less than a 35" tire, I wouldn't hesitate to go with an 18. 35" can look good on either. Larger than 35, I'd go to a 20. Looks more proportioned to me. Now this is just my preference or opinion though.
20s without a doubt... Ford even agrees..... 20" are becoming more and more popular from the factory
Auto makers follow trends. Has nothing to do if they agree or not.

Just like beta said, the base model trucks still function successful on much smaller rims than what higher end or the aftermarket world run...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Betarocker

Reaction score
So you shouldn't run a 20 until you run 40s? That's kind of a dumb statement. If it's not at least a 20, they don't belong on a Superduty in my opinion.

So 20" rims with 31.5" diameter tires? That's right, 31.5" is the standard sized tire on base models.
Now if you could read, you'd have noticed I wrote "close to". 38" tire on a 20" rim I would find acceptable. I also wrote that it was my opinion. You can have your own opinion.

I typed that really slowly so you could take your time to read it at your own pace and comprehension.

08Monster

Reaction score
So 20" rims with 31.5" diameter tires? That's right, 31.5" is the standard sized tire on base models.
Now if you could read, you'd have noticed I wrote "close to". 38" tire on a 20" rim I would find acceptable. I also wrote that it was my opinion. You can have your own opinion.

I typed that really slowly so you could take your time to read it at your own pace and comprehension.
What's wrong with a 20 on a 31.5? F150s do it all the time. Along with every other manufacturer. No need to be a ***in douche about it. Personal opinion, I think anyone looking to buy a set of rims would be dumb to get anything but a 20. Or 22 if that's your style.

Betarocker

Reaction score
What's wrong with a 20 on a 31.5? F150s do it all the time. Along with every other manufacturer. No need to be a ***in douche about it. Personal opinion, I think anyone looking to buy a set of rims would be dumb to get anything but a 20. Or 22 if that's your style.

Hmm, me a douche? I guess you're the cu.nt and need some cleaning.

ferris70

Reaction score
Thanks for all the inputs. I went with the 20 wheel and 37 nitto trail grappler. Love the look and rides and drives the same. Unfortunately now my adaptive cruise is inop and the dealership is saying it caused by my aftermarket add ons (Carlie pintop 2.5 level with radius arms and method 20 wheels and 37 tires are my only mods at this time). Not sure what to do since the truck and aftermarket stuff has been very expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_6648.JPG
    IMG_6648.JPG
    935.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_6563.jpg
    IMG_6563.jpg
    822.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_6660.jpg
    IMG_6660.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 115

Latest posts

Members online