Having some starting issues

tyler2k

Reaction score
So my 03 is having a hard start issue, once it fires it sputters and stalls unless i give it gas, once i give it gas it idles and drives fine. I have a brand new ficm installed and gonna check the ipr and ipc also plan on changing the hpop while i do the oil cooler, just curious if it could be fuel related because of the sputtering

sootie

Reaction score
why would you throw parts at it without diagnosing?

Does it only do this on a cold start? Only on a hot start?

How many miles on the truck?

Original injectors?

When is the last time the fuel filters were changed?

What is the fuel pressure?

What is the icp voltage?

Try disconnecting the icp sensor and then start the truck and see if anything changes. Check icp pigtail for oil when you unhook it.

tyler2k

Reaction score
It needs an oil cooler and i have no history of the truck so while im in there why not do the hpop, truck has 180k on it, no idea if injectors are original definitely some stiction though cleared up some with revx, just changed filters with oem less then 3k miles ago. Does hard start hot or cold but the sputtering only happens if it sits like a day, i have an insight i still have to check the voltage

sootie

Reaction score
also curious how fast you are building base oil pressure.

tyler2k

Reaction score
Is there a way to check that, like the gauge for oil pressure on the dash or something else

ro3rasher3

Reaction score
IPR...I threw parts at mine because I'm so dam smart. Sootie is all over it as usual. All monitors are akin to the KJ1611, you've got to take the entire report and learn to gauge them against one another. I was convinced either a dummy plug or the ICP. Ran the same with ICP unplugged but that wasn't good enough for me since a new ICP is half the price and a fraction the trouble. but anyway I checked mine when it would just shut down, IPR was at 85% closed. The biggest diagnosing mistake I made (with these guys telling me as I was doing it) I was constantly running my batteries down and not running or charging them completely back up. I could get it to start but it was a long, slow crank sending me chasing my tail as it had many perimeters below acceptable...Obviously. Mine would run like new but when it finally grew worse as quick as I soused the skinny pedal it acted as if I was running fuel out of bowl. To a degree that's what was happening. Mine would start back up exactly as if you run any vehicle out of fuel, but once it started after primed, most times I'd be embarrassed and aggravated I'd sit there and roll a couple hundred off my Toyos out of ignorance. It would idle after smoke cleared, run fine and I'd naturally think "just needed aired out" mash on it and try to find a soft spot to land. These trucks are a lot like small engine aircraft if you are running 50 or better and when she goes, You have 8k # of moment to get safety landed. Anyway, in short, what sootie said. My oil was low as well and in need of changing. The trucks can be as bad as you want them, but their finicky and fickle once anything is slightly out of engineered values. A side note to prop that up, I finally could t stand tne reviews on tne 6.4 banjo swap and did mine. I'm not terribly happy with results and if you compare the two I'm forced to believe the truck isnt operating as efficiently. I'm rolling coal now at WOT. It even changed the cadence (still sounds mean as hell) but I'm considering going back. Thoughts? And no...still no fuel pressure gauge. Needed to get coolant filter out of the way but that is next (and tires :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

tyler2k

Reaction score
I also saw a p2290 code if i looked with the scan gauge but never had a check engine light

sootie

Reaction score
IPR...I threw parts at mine because I'm so dam smart. Sootie is all over it as usual. All monitors are akin to the KJ1611, you've got to take the entire report and learn to gauge them against one another. I was convinced either a dummy plug or the ICP. Ran the same with ICP unplugged but that wasn't good enough for me since a new ICP is half the price and a fraction the trouble. but anyway I checked mine when it would just shut down, IPR was at 85% closed. The biggest diagnosing mistake I made (with these guys telling me as I was doing it) I was constantly running my batteries down and not running or charging them completely back up. I could get it to start but it was a long, slow crank sending me chasing my tail as it had many perimeters below acceptable...Obviously. Mine would run like new but when it finally grew worse as quick as I soused the skinny pedal it acted as if I was running fuel out of bowl. To a degree that's what was happening. Mine would start back up exactly as if you run any vehicle out of fuel, but once it started after primed, most times I'd be embarrassed and aggravated I'd sit there and roll a couple hundred off my Toyos out of ignorance. It would idle after smoke cleared, run fine and I'd naturally think "just needed aired out" mash on it and try to find a soft spot to land. These trucks are a lot like small engine aircraft if you are running 50 or better and when she goes, You have 8k # of moment to get safety landed. Anyway, in short, what sootie said. My oil was low as well and in need of changing. The trucks can be as bad as you want them, but their finicky and fickle once anything is slightly out of engineered values. A side note to prop that up, I finally could t stand tne reviews on tne 6.4 banjo swap and did mine. I'm not terribly happy with results and if you compare the two I'm forced to believe the truck isnt operating as efficiently. I'm rolling coal now at WOT. It even changed the cadence (still sounds mean as hell) but I'm considering going back. Thoughts? And no...still no fuel pressure gauge. Needed to get coolant filter out of the way but that is next (and tires :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Your truck doesn't have dummy plugs...

And the smoke at WOT could be because it's getting more fuel now or something else like an air filter getting dirty. But ya 6.4 banjos are hardly worth the effort to put them in...

tyler2k

Reaction score
So update, my icp with key on engine off is 0.2v while idling is 1.2v, my ipr went up to 85% Just before the truck started and ay idle its 27%

sootie

Reaction score
Did you try disconnecting the icp sensor and see if it starts any different?

With it being over 1v at idle and the ipr creeping up towards 30%, that indicates a high pressure oil leak somewhere (if the sensor is reading correctly). One of the cheap things to do is the ipr. Pull it and check the screen for debris for starters. Could be plugged, could be a sticky valve or could be a failing solenoid.

tyler2k

Reaction score
so question on this, i finally got around to testing stuff, when im driving if i give it like quarter throttle my ipr % goes up to 85%. so im guessing either a leak somewhere or bad ipr valve. is that right

tyler2k

Reaction score
also my buddy who is a bus mechanic says the truck feels way down on power compaired to what it should

tyler2k

Reaction score
ok so an update, i did the icp and ipr last night. icp was definitely bad, it was oil covered and blow out. i also did a starter. it starts way faster but still dies right away if you don't give it gas. driving gone the ipr was 85% giving it minimal gas. does that mean a leak somewhere

ghohouston

Reaction score
Plenty. Injector o rings, the steel lines on the rails, the nipple seals, the o rings under the pump, etc etc. Need to air test the system.

Latest posts

Members online