CCV catch can location

psdguy95

Reaction score
Where is everyone mounting ccv catch cans? I just picked up a vibrant catch can but I'm unsure if I should mount it under the hood or down on the frame.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I'm thinking about forgoing the catch can and just welding a fitting on the downpipe and routing it there.

Arisley

Reaction score
I'm thinking about forgoing the catch can and just welding a fitting on the downpipe and routing it there.

I have heard of that not just sucking fumes out, but actually creating negative pressure in the crankcase.

Venturi effect.

My catch can was on the frame rail, with a line retuning to the intake.

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
I have heard of that not just sucking fumes out, but actually creating negative pressure in the crankcase.

Venturi effect.

I could see that happening. The medium duty trucks use draft tubes, but that probably isn't as dramatic. I just don't like the idea of condensing it. Too easy to forget about it and then it gets plugged up. Coukd probably just put a breather on the fill cap or valve cover to keep from building negative pressure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I put the Mann Hummel catch can down on the frame rail. I couldn't find a good spot to put it under the hood on my SD. I have seen it mounted under the hood on OBS's trucks with more room though.

mikeeg02

Reaction score

Venturi effect.

Isn't a negative pressure, a vacuum ? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what your meaning ?

I still am not sold in venturi in this application myself. That's why I have a catch can. I'm just not following that statement ?

Reaction score
I put the Mann Hummel catch can down on the frame rail. I couldn't find a good spot to put it under the hood on my SD. I have seen it mounted under the hood on OBS's trucks with more room though.

There is a spot just in front of the IDM that works well, there are two bolt holes on the fender lip that were designed to hang the cruise control off of on gassers. Have to be careful hoses don't rub on brake lines under master cyl, but when done with care looks factory. Peroni did it first. Check his pics.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
There is a spot just in front of the IDM that works well, there are two bolt holes on the fender lip that were designed to hang the cruise control off of on gassers. Have to be careful hoses don't rub on brake lines under master cyl, but when done with care looks factory. Peroni did it first. Check his pics.

Yes, I have seen that. He has an OBS, where there is room under the hood for it. The SD trucks don't have that luxury unfortunately.

psdguy95

Reaction score
Do you think I would be ok to run my ccv from my catch can back to the intake with my s467? Or would it put a negative pressure on the crank case when I'm in it hard? As in pulling too much suction in the intake when I'm in it hard?

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I have my CCV ran back into the intake on my 366sxe, I'm not sure what he meant by "negative pressure" Negative pressure is vacuum, which is how it was done from the factory. If at any point you found you had too much vacuum in the crank case, you could reduce the size of the pipe going into the intake. Effectively creating a restriction. Just my .02

He may of been referring to when its ran into the exhaust using the venturi effect. Maybe if/when the pressure in the exhaust pipe overrides the vacuum effect of the exhaust flow. I cant speak for him for sure though.

psdguy95

Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of how you set yours up? I just have mine vented to atmosphere right now and I'm just tired of the oil vapors getting the bottom of my truck all oily. I have aluminum valve covers so the went ports aren't baffled like factory valve covers so it tends to carry more oil out of my vent hoses.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I dont have pictures, but you cant see it from the valley anyways, I put my catch can on the frame rail right behind the leaf spring shackle, turned around the ccv outlet, and ran 3/4 heater hose down to the catch can so its at the lowest point, when the oil settles and the vapors condense they also go into the catch can. Then I drilled a hole into my steel intake pipe (between my S&B and turbo) and welded a pipe nipple (3/8 or 1/2" npt IIRC) which was the size it took to let the heater hose go over it and put a hose clamp on it. I also faced the nipple downward so that in theory oil should not sit in the pipe.

vr6nutt

Reaction score
Here's what I did with mine. Fabbed a little mount on the fender. Only thing I need is either a small bladder with a valve or a way to route oil back to pan. Currently drain hose has a plug in it.

xauow8.jpg

2n05y5f.jpg

Latest posts

Members online