New 6.4 dual fueler

dmkolb

Reaction score
My 6.4L has the dual alternator set up on it. Looks like the K16 pump is mounted where my top alternator is right now. Can the top alternator just be removed without having any issues? Should the bottom alternator then be replaced with a higher output? Does anything need to be done with the wiring going into the top alternator once it has been deleted? Lastly will a CEL show up on the dash by removing the second alternator and if so how do you get around that?

Wayne

Reaction score
I gotta say I love the goals you accomplished with this kit, simplifying, and eliminating components in other kits without requiring alternator relocation or valve cover chopping. I speculated you would put it where you did when I first heard you mention you were working on it, but it fits much better than I imagined it would. Congrats.

dmkolb

Reaction score
LOL is that a really nice way of saying I get to keep both my stock alternators without moving them or deleting one? If it is thanks for being so kind to me. ;)

Wayne

Reaction score
Ha ha, no. I was referring to the OP. there isn't a twin pump kit on the market that allows you to utilize both alternators unfortunately. Consider HO if you need to support a major electrical draw, and still want twin hpops.

Reaction score
My 6.4L has the dual alternator set up on it. Looks like the K16 pump is mounted where my top alternator is right now. Can the top alternator just be removed without having any issues? Should the bottom alternator then be replaced with a higher output? Does anything need to be done with the wiring going into the top alternator once it has been deleted? Lastly will a CEL show up on the dash by removing the second alternator and if so how do you get around that?

The dual pump kit would require you to remove the secondary alternator. It can be removed easily. But the truck will have to have the dual alternator configuration changed at the dealer or by someone competent with IDS. This would be the same for any dual fueler kit.

I gotta say I love the goals you accomplished with this kit, simplifying, and eliminating components in other kits without requiring alternator relocation or valve cover chopping. I speculated you would put it where you did when I first heard you mention you were working on it, but it fits much better than I imagined it would. Congrats.

Thank you Wayne.

Reaction score

The dual pump kit would require you to remove the secondary alternator. It can be removed easily. But the truck will have to have the dual alternator configuration changed at the dealer or by someone competent with IDS. This would be the same for any dual fueler kit. The charging system will work fine with one alternator, just the same as a single alternator truck would from the factory. The only downfall would be the battery light will be on on the dash. But that's fixable. And if you were really concerned you could put an H.O. Alt on it too.

Thank you Wayne.

Latest posts

Members online