2004 F350 Hard Start

046.ohBills

Reaction score
Hey Y'all having a small issue with my beloved truck. I went TDY for roughly 1 month and half and when i came back to her we started having some hot and cold start issues. more along the lines of hot start though.

Truck is a 2004 with a build date prior to Sep '03 with 145k miles. It takes 4-8 seconds when hot to start. Cold starts are for the most part better for it but from time to time it takes a couple tries to start it. As far as i know original injectors original HPOP. July 2016 I installed a new IPR and ICP and in early 2015 I installed a new ICP and Pigtail.

I drove the Truck from Idaho to Georgia and Ran like champ but the occasional hard start cold. Hot starts the long Crank was way more likely to happen so i left it running most of the time if i could.

Any ideas? Greatly appreciated.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Do you have any way to monitor live data? Need to know what the injector control pressure is doing while cranking. On the Cold start are you getting any gray smoke on startup? Any active codes?

046.ohBills

Reaction score
No Active codes and its not doing any type of abnormal smoke. I will try and get that pressure for you as soon as i can. I sent the truck home with my father because all of my tools are there so i will get him to look at the ICP pressure while cranking. He has been telling me that since its been in NY that its been taking right off and no extended starts. this is while cold of course.

046.ohBills

Reaction score
I was able to get pressures and on 1st crank it was around 7.92 and on 2nd crank 7.11 it took off jumped up to 16 and then idled around 6.8 for ICP pressures

046.ohBills

Reaction score
Truck was driven yesterday and it got up to temps stopped to get some coffee turned it off and when i came back to drive it it took 3 long cranks for it to come to life. probably 6-7 second cranks before it took off. ordered stand pipes and o ring kit for it.

046.ohBills

Reaction score
Thinking about it now thanks for that advice. Also while I'm in there I am replacing my Hpop and doing my oil cooler. I don't want to have to get in there in 2-3 months. Been a really good truck to me so far.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Do you have a coolant filter on it? If not I would also look into one of those on the preventative maintenance side of things. Cat ELC coolant is also a good recommendation. How many miles are on the vehicle? I don't know that the HPOP would be something i would consider necessary on the list of things to do. Also on oil coolers if you don't want to pay fords ridiculous price I have been installing dieselsite oil coolers for over a year now and never had a problem with one, they are about half the cost of ford.

046.ohBills

Reaction score
Already have a coolant filter on it. I just drained the coolant back in 2015 so i am not worried about that. back in 2016 when i changed the IPR it had some metal flakes in it and i dont want to worry about a HPOP because i am at 146k on it. and i am installing a diesel site cooler in it because my temps are close to the 15 degree difference all the time if not exceeding it.

Latest posts

Members online