Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > The Bunker > General Discussion Forum

Old 04-09-2017, 02:51 PM
General
Member's Gallery

I thought beans didn't need nitrogen. They put nitrogen in the ground and just needed potash. Corn will put potash in so you can Rotate the crops between beans and corn and they help each other.
96 F-350 RC 4x4 Hypermax Rods, PIS 300/200s G head tunes, Garrett GT4294, Beans IDM, ARP head & main, girdle, half filled block, DI cam, ceramic coated bowls, anti-friction skirts, Haldex pump over Honey Badger Jr, Diesel site High volume lpop, Billet intake Plenums, Dual SD pumps, Fluidampner, beehive springs, cosmetic head gaskets, Inconel valves, hardend guides, Ported and polished heads by me, home made RR fuel, 5 speed tranny, with SB 3600 DxD. Snow water meth.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:45 PM
General
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHY NOT View Post
I actually work for a company as a seed sales man. I go around to local farmers and sell them a certain brand seed that fits there need which is what is going on in this picture. But, my farm also does grow seed in the field for the same company, most people don't do this. Its quite a bit of work to have everything all cleaned out to keep things genetically pure which switching different varieties.

Got to ask, you hear about how GMO sees companies take over, how mad GMO seeds are, etc, they spill some of their seeds on farmers not using their seeds and somehow make them pay etc.

What's your take on all of this? You seem like the person to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2017, 04:03 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PD View Post
I thought beans didn't need nitrogen. They put nitrogen in the ground and just needed potash. Corn will put potash in so you can Rotate the crops between beans and corn and they help each other.
I never said these were smart farmers. Also with beans, they will use almost all the nitrogen they produce to make seed. If you want to use beans to add nitrogen to your soil you can work them in before podding when they've built up their nitrogen. A family friend of mine who's a university researcher did a lot of work and came up with a tool for green manure using different legumes such as peas and clover using the same idea.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
Got to ask, you hear about how GMO sees companies take over, how mad GMO seeds are, etc, they spill some of their seeds on farmers not using their seeds and somehow make them pay etc.

What's your take on all of this? You seem like the person to ask.

With out GMO crops we wouldn't be able to produce near the amount of grain we produce today, and even more will need to be produced with the worlds growing population. With out them disease and insects would severely decrease yields. I don't believe there is anything out there really proving GMO crops are a true negative cause of any health issues if thats mainly what you are getting to. Everyone can have their own opinion on them, kind of like vaccinating kids, with out the vaccinations we have things like mumps coming back, even though most of us on here are all vaccinated and are perfectly fine, some still won't like it.

Them spilling their seed is probably BS, just my guess, and some farmers trying use seed right out of their bins (which is illegal) and getting caught. They are using the companies genetics, which the companies own. All that kind of goes down a hairy road with who owns what and what you can and can't do. Easiest just to buy seed each year to plant. Its genetically pure its treated and clean.

Hopefully that made since and didn't ramble to much on what can be a touchy subject.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:44 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Starting to get to be that time, taking some seed to a customer. We have about 1/3 of our anhydrous on. Will see what weather brings these next couple of days if we can get a little more done in the fields or not.

What variety are those Syngenta beans?
Old 04-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N View Post
What variety are those Syngenta beans?
39C4's and 45R7's
Old 04-09-2017, 07:19 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Isn't something call aqua better for the environment than straight ammonia? ?
Old 04-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwunter View Post
Isn't something call aqua better for the environment than straight ammonia? ?

Corn needs nitrogen to grow and yield well. Water is also a huge factor in the yield it needs both, but just water doesn't cut it. 50 bushel per acre vs 170 bushels per acre. The corn uses what gets put in the ground

Isn't owing a Prius better for the environment than a diesel pickup?

Old 04-10-2017, 04:33 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Corn needs nitrogen to grow and yield well. Water is also a huge factor in the yield it needs both, but just water doesn't cut it. 50 bushel per acre vs 170 bushels per acre. The corn uses what gets put in the ground

I think you missed it here. What I was saying was I think there's an "almost as good" equivalent to ammonia, and I think it's called "aqua". I wasn't making some greenie comment.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:37 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:

http://www.electricenergyonline.com/...ag=&article=70

Did a quick search and I think this is what I'm shooting fir.