D-Leted Cold Start Concerns

sledneck_joe

Reaction score
Hey guys, just about ready to pull the trigger on ******** my 2016 F350.. I just have some concerns regarding cold starts. It often reaches -30C (-22F) where I live and I'm not always able to plug in. My previous truck (2014 Cummins) used to smoke an embarrassing amount while warming up, like hazing out parking lots embarrassing. Pretty certain I'll be using the Ez Lynk for the device, just wanted some opinions on different tuners. Thanks!

-Joe

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey guys, just about ready to pull the trigger on ******** my 2016 F350.. I just have some concerns regarding cold starts. It often reaches -30C (-22F) where I live and I'm not always able to plug in. My previous truck (2014 Cummins) used to smoke an embarrassing amount while warming up, like hazing out parking lots embarrassing. Pretty certain I'll be using the Ez Lynk for the device, just wanted some opinions on different tuners. Thanks!

-Joe

won't be an issue. hit me up if i can make you a deal on that EZ Lynk !

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
I'd have to disagree with Mike on this one...it was single digits here a week or so ago and after sitting at work for 8 hours with no plug in, I was puffing more than a Cheech and Chong scene. My boss even drove over and asked if everything was ok...

Its not just me tho, nearly everyone that is d-leeted asks why their truck is smoking so much. It just boils down to the block being so cold that it can't burn all the fuel injected, hence the bluish smoke. At -20F, I'm positive its gonna smoke but how much you're tolerant of is up to you.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
just think of when the d p f was intact.. all that smoke was getting collected and clogging it up.. lol

all non emissions diesels smoke.. period.. my 2012 6.7 smokes instantly on startup when it is below freezing till the vgt vanes close.. unless it is in the negative digits then it takes a few..

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

WHY NOT

Reaction score
If I cold started mine it would let out a haze, but not enough to smoke out a parking lot or anything bad. One trick is to have it on a small tune for cold starts, not performance should fuel a little less so it burns more of it up. Either way you will probably get some smoke, shouldn't get fog cloud around your truck though.

ckrueg

Reaction score
You could ask your tuner to raise rail pressure to help? I know on my 6.4 I upped the pressure and increased the pilot injection and that thing barely smokes even at -10

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If I cold started mine it would let out a haze, but not enough to smoke out a parking lot or anything bad. One trick is to have it on a small tune for cold starts, not performance should fuel a little less so it burns more of it up. Either way you will probably get some smoke, shouldn't get fog cloud around your truck though.
I guess I have always been used to my 7.3s cold starts and never tried different tunes.. mine is in the race tune(not extreme as it wont hold rail) and it still smokes way less then the old dinosaurs.. lol

live life full throttle

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree with Mike on this one...it was single digits here a week or so ago and after sitting at work for 8 hours with no plug in, I was puffing more than a Cheech and Chong scene. My boss even drove over and asked if everything was ok...

Its not just me tho, nearly everyone that is d-leeted asks why their truck is smoking so much. It just boils down to the block being so cold that it can't burn all the fuel injected, hence the bluish smoke. At -20F, I'm positive its gonna smoke but how much you're tolerant of is up to you.

ive yet to have any calls about this , maybe it's due to not being plugged in or the type of tuning ? i'm certainly interested, and would love to work on a solution .

08Monster

Reaction score
ive yet to have any calls about this , maybe it's due to not being plugged in or the type of tuning ? i'm certainly interested, and would love to work on a solution .
My 6.7 smoked pretty good when cold also. Anything below 30 degrees and she would haze. Below zero it was embarrassing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have never plugged in my 6.7 or my dually 7.3 for that matter.. but maybe a tuning change for those of you who don't like it will help.. just like bigr offered to do..

live life full throttle

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score

I don't really know if it's tune/tuner specific but it seems to be a pretty diverse occurrence across the board. I've only ever had sp@rtan so I can't speak for any other tunes, but it certainly is likely rail pressure or pilot injection related.

I wouldn't mind a solution to the issue, but I would think it would be a call to Matt and Jeff to figure it out. I'm sure they are aware of it tho with how active they are on the facebook page. I also understand it isn't the biggest deal in the world so I'm not too worried.

Horsemover

Reaction score
My 2012 with Tyrant tunes throws a haze at cold start (under 30 degrees) but nothing I would call excessive. I don't think I have ever plugged my 6.7 in either.

cappa

Reaction score
Must be a person's tolerance to it. I am spar tuned as well running the 500 and don't think it smokes much at all even when cold. No where near what my old 6.0 did with exhaust and stock tune. Little blue haze for a min or so, then the normal exhaust look. Gets pretty cold where I'm at as well but I do plug in if it's extremely cold I guess.

E55rocket

Reaction score
Same here. Smokes like a fright train when it sits overnight and not plugged in. Was around 15 degrees.

1800bigk

Reaction score
2016 f350 here running fartan custom tune on ndash and I have to say mine smokes bad when really cold. It got down to zero here recently and I had to start mine away from home in the morning and it smoked up entire hotel parking lot big time. It only smokes bad when really cold like zero or below. In teens and twenties it just puffs a tad. But when really cold oh yeah it smokes I'll get video in next cold spell

DC87

Reaction score
I don't have a way of plugging in at work during cold weeks when I start the truck oil and coolant temps are around 30 F I let it warm up generally to 100 F before driving. No smoke while warming up but has a moment when driving and getting to about 20mph where it has some white smoke for about 3-4 seconds but nothing that would clear a parking lot out.

bpan

Reaction score
Mine smokes quite a bit if not plugged in overnight. I left it plugged in overnight but my GFCI plug tripped so there was no power to the truck. Remote started it. Cranked way longer than I would have liked (I've got to get that reprogramed) fired up but smoked out the neibours yard. Is it really that bad on the truck though or just an irritating amount of smoke?

Latest posts

Members online